2019 Azerbaijan Grand Prix | ApexOnlineRacing.com

2019 Azerbaijan Grand Prix

• We are aware of some functionality issues with the forums at present. These are being looked into. Feel free to use the bug reports thread to report any issues you encounter. Thanks! :)

xMinxG

F1 Senna Equivalent
Apr 1, 2016
Welcome to the WELL DONE BAKU GP. Expect crashes and Perez getting a podium.

So Charles Leclerc MISSON CRASHOWNED into the wall.....can anything else ruin his first win hopes?

Also its confirmed,Williams should be kept away from anyone if they don't want bad luck happening to them as seen on Friday.

DO.NOT.TOUCH.OR.LOOK.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Just hoping for another standard mental Baku race today, otherwise I fear we're looking at a 4th successive Merc 1-2.

I think qualy finally proved a point to a degree, I won't argue with the fact that Leclerc look strong heading into qualy but even if he was still a couple tenths quicker then Seb then he would've qualified 3rd at best regardless.
So people who still honestly believe Merc's car ain't at least on a par with Ferrari's performance wise need to wake up and stop believing the bullshit that Wolff, Hamilton and Bottas have been continuously spouting since testing.

Like how they keep basically saying they've got no chance of catching Ferrari heading into qualy each gp, yet low and behold they go and take the front row, I think this can put to bed the debate over Ferrari having any kind of real pace advantage over Merc this year once and for all.

Sure I could understand those claims perhaps if Hamilton was the only one taking poles for Merc and beating Seb & Leclerc for pole with Bottas down in 4th, but I think it speaks volumes that Bottas has now taken his second pole of the season, now either its a simple case of Merc having the best car or Bottas is now as good as Hamilton - so which one is it Hamilton fans?

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Just hoping for another standard mental Baku race today, otherwise I fear we're looking at a 4th successive Merc 1-2.

I think qualy finally proved a point to a degree, I won't argue with the fact that Leclerc look strong heading into qualy but even if he was still a couple tenths quicker then Seb then he would've qualified 3rd at best regardless.
So people who still honestly believe Merc's car ain't at least on a par with Ferrari's performance wise need to wake up and stop believing the bullshit that Wolff, Hamilton and Bottas have been continuously spouting since testing.

Like how they keep basically saying they've got no chance of catching Ferrari heading into qualy each gp, yet low and behold they go and take the front row, I think this can put to bed the debate over Ferrari having any kind of real pace advantage over Merc this year once and for all.

Sure I could understand those claims perhaps if Hamilton was the only one taking poles for Merc and beating Seb & Leclerc for pole with Bottas down in 4th, but I think it speaks volumes that Bottas has now taken his second pole of the season, now either its a simple case of Merc having the best car or Bottas is now as good as Hamilton - so which one is it Hamilton fans?
Bottas and Hamilton operate at a high level (as do all the top drivers). But the key is, the Mercedes drivers are on an equal footing and provide the team (and each other) with shared feedback.

Contrast this with Ferrari's approach where there is still a number one driver; then you have the possibility of data flow from one side of the garage, but not back. I honestly think this, coupled with the fact that mentally Bottas has come back determined to carry the fight (to keep his feet under the table), whereas before I think he was overawed (particularly in that first season) enough to want to just keep his nose clean.

And yeah, maybe the silver team are just that bit better at making the engine than the red team. With all the swapping of aerodynamicists, and the rule changes it's hard to see how the aero isn't just much of a muchness, but it is for sure one area where gains can be made and for sure, lots of money is spent.

Last edited:

LC SPEED DEMON

AOR Legend & 4-time AOR Xbox F1 Champion
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Haha I love salty ferrari fans. Hamilton would of smashed pole if he didn't screw up the first sector. Vettel had the car to put it on pole just didn't have the bottle to do it ;p

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Well it was the expected result and barring the standard good fight in the midfield, it was pretty tame upfront and the race isn't one that will be remembered for years to come.

For most of it though it seemed pretty close pace wise between Merc, Ferrari and Red Bull (well Mad Max), but something that was very telling was the final 5 laps or so, Seb was what about 4 seconds behind Hamilton yet when Hamilton put on a charge to try and hunt down Bottas who responded well we all saw the true pace of that Merc.

Seb ended up finishing 11 seconds back, now some may say he must have took it easy those laps but he didn't have that luxury, Mad Max was only a few seconds behind him so for both Merc drivers to be gaining an easy half to one second a lap at that stage looks pretty ominous for Ferrari.

Catalunya in a couple weeks will give the definitive answer once and for all as Ferrari seemed dominant there in testing, if Merc end up winning again (legitimately) then the season is a write off for Ferrari and its going to be a case of Bottas v Hamilton for the championship.

Haha I love salty ferrari fans. Hamilton would of smashed pole if he didn't screw up the first sector. Vettel had the car to put it on pole just didn't have the bottle to do it ;p
Yes very funny LC, look obviously I'm not happy at the situation this season is heading but I can handle Merc winning no problems, as to be fair I've seen it far too often when apparently Merc and the media tell us they have 'no chance', yet when it comes to qualy and the race there on a par at least normally.

The issue I have LC is just the bullshit being constantly spouted from them (Merc), and what makes it laugable is you have Hamilton/Bottas/Merc fans etc lap it up and genuinely believe it each gp weekend.o_O
Who I then see in comments (across the web) making out that the Merc is basically a dog of a car & Hamilton/Bottas are basically making miracles happen by taking poles and winning races - its crazy.

We're 4 races in and when you go through each one so far, Australia - Merc were literally miles ahead of Ferrari there, China - Merc had a comfortable mininum 3 tenths advantage, Baku - Merc advantage look minimal until the last few laps when both drivers went for it.
Bahrain - yeah Ferrari had the advantage over Merc there and it was about 2/3 tenths.

Yep Merc shouldn't have won all 4, but that's whats happened and after whats happened today, what more proof and evidence do people want that Merc are just lying through there teeth before every gp, and that they do actually have the quicker car in general this year.

As for Seb bottling pole I would suggest putting it into the wall during qualifying as 'bottling it', besides isn't Hamilton screwing up a sector and missing out on pole to his teammate 'bottling it'?;)

Bottas and Hamilton operate at a high level (as do all the top drivers). But the key is, the Mercedes drivers are on an equal footing and provide the team (and each other) with shared feedback.
Steve if the Merc 1-2's continue with Hamilton and Bottas trading wins how much longer do you think that will last? I thought it was pretty telling that Bottas and Hamilton didn't say a word to each other in the cool down room after the race. (Seb was the one doing the talking to them)
I think it dawned on them today that there going to be battling each other for the championship and the first cracks in there friendly demeanour to each other appeared, Wolff should be concerned as hopefully from a entertainment perspective there working relationship will start to deteriorate to Rosberg-Hamilton 2016 levels in a couple months. (Which allowed Seb to nab a few unexpected results back then)

Also spare for a thought for Ocon who we caught a glimpse of after the race and is seeing his hopes of a Merc drive next year disappear, I expect he is now buying a dart board and putting a picture of Bottas face on it.:LOL:

Contrast this with Ferrari's approach where there is still a number one driver; then you have the possibility of data flow from one side of the garage, but not back. I honestly think this, coupled with the fact that mentally Bottas has come back determined to carry the fight (to keep his feet under the table), whereas before I think he was overawed (particularly in that first season) enough to want to just keep his nose clean.

And yeah, maybe the silver team are just that bit better at making the engine than the red team. With all the swapping of aerodynamicists, and the rule changes it's hard to see how the aero isn't just much of a muchness, but it is for sure one area where gains can be made and for sure, lots of money is spent.
I think qualy showed why Ferrari made the decision to favour Seb in 50/50 situations this season, but I imagine there still sharing data to a reasonable degree and theres no doubts for anyone that Leclerc is very talented and will go on to properly challenge for WDC's in his own right (and probably win a few) but Leclerc has to first iron out big mistakes like that in qualy, Seb did that in his first few seasons and we all know what happened from 2010 onwards.

As for the Ferrari and Merc's cars I think engine wise there on a par now, I believe Merc currently have just a slightly better package. (aero and chassis)

Reactions: LC SPEED DEMON

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Well it was the expected result and barring the standard good fight in the midfield, it was pretty tame upfront and the race isn't one that will be remembered for years to come.

For most of it though it seemed pretty close pace wise between Merc, Ferrari and Red Bull (well Mad Max), but something that was very telling was the final 5 laps or so, Seb was what about 4 seconds behind Hamilton yet when Hamilton put on a charge to try and hunt down Bottas who responded well we all saw the true pace of that Merc.

Seb ended up finishing 11 seconds back, now some may say he must have took it easy those laps but he didn't have that luxury, Mad Max was only a few seconds behind him so for both Merc drivers to be gaining an easy half to one second a lap at that stage looks pretty ominous for Ferrari.

Catalunya in a couple weeks will give the definitive answer once and for all as Ferrari seemed dominant there in testing, if Merc end up winning again (legitimately) then the season is a write off for Ferrari and its going to be a case of Bottas v Hamilton for the championship.

Yes very funny LC, look obviously I'm not happy at the situation this season is heading but I can handle Merc winning no problems, as to be fair I've seen it far too often when apparently Merc and the media tell us they have 'no chance', yet when it comes to qualy and the race there on a par at least normally.

The issue I have LC is just the bullshit being constantly spouted from them (Merc), and what makes it laugable is you have Hamilton/Bottas/Merc fans etc lap it up and genuinely believe it each gp weekend.o_O
Who I then see in comments (across the web) making out that the Merc is basically a dog of a car & Hamilton/Bottas are basically making miracles happen by taking poles and winning races - its crazy.

We're 4 races in and when you go through each one so far, Australia - Merc were literally miles ahead of Ferrari there, China - Merc had a comfortable mininum 3 tenths advantage, Baku - Merc advantage look minimal until the last few laps when both drivers went for it.
Bahrain - yeah Ferrari had the advantage over Merc there and it was about 2/3 tenths.

Yep Merc shouldn't have won all 4, but that's whats happened and after whats happened today, what more proof and evidence do people want that Merc are just lying through there teeth before every gp, and that they do actually have the quicker car in general this year.

As for Seb bottling pole I would suggest putting it into the wall during qualifying as 'bottling it', besides isn't Hamilton screwing up a sector and missing out on pole to his teammate 'bottling it'?;)

Steve if the Merc 1-2's continue with Hamilton and Bottas trading wins how much longer do you think that will last? I thought it was pretty telling that Bottas and Hamilton didn't say a word to each other in the cool down room after the race. (Seb was the one doing the talking to them)
I think it dawned on them today that there going to be battling each other for the championship and the first cracks in there friendly demeanour to each other appeared, Wolff should be concerned as hopefully from a entertainment perspective there working relationship will start to deteriorate to Rosberg-Hamilton 2016 levels in a couple months. (Which allowed Seb to nab a few unexpected results back then)

Also spare for a thought for Ocon who we caught a glimpse of after the race and is seeing his hopes of a Merc drive next year disappear, I expect he is now buying a dart board and putting a picture of Bottas face on it.:LOL:

I think qualy showed why Ferrari made the decision to favour Seb in 50/50 situations this season, but I imagine there still sharing data to a reasonable degree and theres no doubts for anyone that Leclerc is very talented and will go on to properly challenge for WDC's in his own right (and probably win a few) but Leclerc has to first iron out big mistakes like that in qualy, Seb did that in his first few seasons and we all know what happened from 2010 onwards.

As for the Ferrari and Merc's cars I think engine wise there on a par now, I believe Merc currently have just a slightly better package. (aero and chassis)
Like you said (and I think I said) the cars are on a par powerwise but the battle is there with aero upgrades. Don't forget the cars are barely off the drawing board at this stage; they're all basically still seeing if the performance matches with testing data. Expect the position to move by the next race.

Yeah, Leclerc made an uncharacteristic error in qualifying no doubt. Keep glossing over Seb's driving mistakes and it'll continue to be fine.

I do think the Rosberg moment is coming with Bottas, Rosberg had a season of taking qualifying to Hamilton before his successful assualt on the WDC. It would be next year (2020) if the pattern were to repeat and yes, there was a mood change before it happened. I don't think Hamilton is too threatened by Bottas to withhold anything. If they work together, they can have the strongest car. I'm not sure that the final step that Ferrari seem to be misstepping isn't down to this entirely. It's clear Leclerc knows his place (role) in the team but he will not publicly say anything that would go against the team's party line. He is the embodiment of prodigious talent. Ocon I feel may have to look elsewhere unless he is prepared to risk stagnating without a drive.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Yeah, Leclerc made an uncharacteristic error in qualifying no doubt. Keep glossing over Seb's driving mistakes and it'll continue to be fine.
I've never glossed over Seb real mistakes/errors, sure the spin this year and a couple more incidents from last year when they happened I said that was on him, the only thing we differ on are the spins from contact which I stated/consider to be 50/50 just down to bad luck and don't consider them to be proper mistakes/errors as such, the inside car shouldn't be spinning its suppose to be the one on the outside according to law of F1 physics if you believe what your told, either way we've been through all those spins when they happened and I've always spoke about in the respective race threads so I don't understand where you think I've glossed over them. I've always been open about them.

I do think the Rosberg moment is coming with Bottas, Rosberg had a season of taking qualifying to Hamilton before his successful assualt on the WDC. It would be next year (2020) if the pattern were to repeat and yes, there was a mood change before it happened. I don't think Hamilton is too threatened by Bottas to withhold anything. If they work together, they can have the strongest car.
I consider it every 3 years 2014 to 2016 as Merc didn't have a proper championship contending car in 2013 so there was no problems between Hamilton & Rosberg (or so it seemed).
Anyway Bottas is now in his 3rd season with Merc with a championship capable car, so if it follows the 3 year pattern then this is the season and currently it looks like he's taking the fight to Hamilton or so it seems, but I think your right at the moment I suspect Hamilton thinks 'Its only Valterri, he'll start to fall away in the next few races'.

(though his comment about the race start and being to friendly to Bottas suggests otherwise)

But if Merc are fastest again at Catalunya then I'll be genuinely interested to see what Bottas does, as he hasn't really been close to Hamilton there in the past 2 years, however if he at least keeps Hamilton honest in qualy and stays close to him the whole race or even shock horror takes pole and wins again - then I think Hamilton will not only take him seriously but there working relationship should start to take a nose dive, as do you think Hamilton will be happy to fully share his data that will allow Bottas to seriously trouble him and vice versa with a championship at stake?

xMinxG

F1 Senna Equivalent
Apr 1, 2016
I think the issue with the race was that the package has gone back to 2016 with the lower downforce wings, so most overtakes are with DRS and they fly away because the DRS is too big. Last year was good because they all got close towards the first corner and not midway through the straight.