2019 Belgian Grand Prix | ApexOnlineRacing.com

2019 Belgian Grand Prix

iJokeri22

Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Its been a busy day with driver moves but I think it was basically exactly what we were all expecting would happen Merc being boring and keeping Bottas but at least Ocon gets a chance in a manufacturer team and hopefully Hulkenberg gets the Haas drive.

Will be interesting to see how Albon does this weekend although starting from the back of the grid wont help him but at least he basically gets a free pass for his first race.

Can Ferrari take advantage of their straight line speed and finally win a race personally I would love for LecLerc to win Monza and I think it would be good for Vettel to win this weekend on the anniversary of his last win but knowing Ferrari they will find some way to **** it up.

The weather looks a little strange very hot and Sunny Friday and Saturday then about 10 degrees cooler on Sunday so it could be one of those races where the tyres behave completely differently to what the teams are expecting.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Most of the summer break news happened yesterday it seemed like, was actually surprised Bottas kept his seat I guess they just didn't want to rock the boat at Merc, Ocon to Renault also surprised me though personally I don't feel he deserves a seat or a opportunity like that at a team like Renault after his antics at Brazil last year he should still be in the dog house for what he did. (however if he had to have a seat I'd put him in a Williams as his punishment for 2020 :LOL:)

Also what a welcome to life at Red Bull for Albon, I can imagine Horner's conversion with him went something like this: 'Alex your going to have to start at the back this weekend & welcome to the team! Lastly @iJokeri22 you did forget one other major bit of news, the 2020 calendar was also announced:

Germany goes unfortunately, Holland and Vietnam joins a new record 22 race calendar (unless Monza goes as well) - anyway give it a few more years and Liberty will probably find a way to reach there desired 25 race season, whether the drivers, teams or fans want that many races.

I will add though on the amount of races in a year these days, that no doubt that this will continue to skew the history books in terms of likelihood of single season records getting beaten, whether that's a good thing is something that fans in general will likely be debated.
But while it also looks like a certainty that Hamilton will break Schumacher's current win record (likely some point next season), I think the main future issue will be if you get another combo of dominant car and driver for several years and you have a consistent 24/25 race season, then even the records that Hamilton will have ended up creating will likely be in danger of going by end of the next decade - just something worth thinking about I feel.

LC SPEED DEMON

AOR Legend & 4-time AOR Xbox F1 Champion
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Gutted about losing the German gp. Sad times for hulkenberg, I like the guy always consistent just never had a car to get the podium he truly deserves. Having said that neither has Perez and hes got quite a few podiums already lol. Can ocon end the draught of a decent French driver? Doubt it but we'll see. Disappointed bottas got another year tbh, not worthy imo. And finally I'm buzzing for Albon, really hope he does well.

iJokeri22

Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Lastly @iJokeri22 you did forget one other major bit of news, the 2020 calendar was also announced:

Germany goes unfortunately, Holland and Vietnam joins a new record 22 race calendar (unless Monza goes as well) - anyway give it a few more years and Liberty will probably find a way to reach there desired 25 race season, whether the drivers, teams or fans want that many races.

I will add though on the amount of races in a year these days, that no doubt that this will continue to skew the history books in terms of likelihood of single season records getting beaten, whether that's a good thing is something that fans in general will likely be debated.
But while it also looks like a certainty that Hamilton will break Schumacher's current win record (likely some point next season), I think the main future issue will be if you get another combo of dominant car and driver for several years and you have a consistent 24/25 race season, then even the records that Hamilton will have ended up creating will likely be in danger of going by end of the next decade - just something worth thinking about I feel.
Provisional calendar that's why I didn't mention it (Plus it was officially released on Friday morning after I made the thread ;)) only thing I don't really like is the clash between Le Mans and Canada which will make staying up all night very hard but at least it means we wont have a league race that weekend.
Single season records don't really mean anything anymore which is a shame but that's the way it is there's a lot of different record that should be pre and post 2010.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Ferrari looking really strong but I'll only believe it post qualifying, sure that was a big gap after FP2 but we all know what Merc are like on a Friday, so I'm still expecting Hamilton to at least ask Ferrari the question come qualy and the race for that matter.

Also if what skysports reported here then most of the grid will be shaken up after qualy:
https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/11796949/belgian-gp-f1-engine-upgrades-trigger-grid-penalties
(Er so just the 6 drivers with grid penalties.:LOL:)

As for Hulkenberg I agree with you @LC SPEED DEMON, he is a solid driver and for him to not get a seat next season, I'd be pretty disappointed if he somehow ended up being one of the drivers left without a chair in the current F1 musical chairs of silly season. (though hopefully he'll do better then Williams if he does get a seat)

Single season records don't really mean anything anymore which is a shame but that's the way it is there's a lot of different record that should be pre and post 2010.
They still can to a degree I think Joker, but you are right when they started hitting 19 races a season consistently, great records that stood the test of time can be brought down a lot easier.

Just looking through the years 1950-59 saw a mix of just 7/8/9 races each year with one exception 1958 with 11.
The 60's well from 1960-66 majority were either 9 or 10 races, with '67 & 69 having 11 and '68 a then record 12.
Then in the 1970's F1 reached what I would call a standard season but 1970-75 featured anywhere from 11 to 15 races in those years.

From 1976 to 2003 is the most consistent period in F1 history with 16 races being the average for most those years, the first 17 race season surprisingly happened in '77 but there was still the odd 14 and 15 race season, just to break this period down:

14 races: 1980
15 races: 1979, 1981, 1983
17 races: 1977, 1995, 1997, 2000, 2001 & 2002
16 races: all the other years not mentioned
(taken from this wiki page)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Formula_One_Grands_Prix#Races_by_season

So that's why for me you can make fairer comparisons in that period compared to 2010 onwards, which has been 19 races minimum since then.

And its not just single season records, but historical points records got made pretty much redundant when the 2010 change came along, as I remember when DC was the highest British point scorer in history and then that change to 25 points just allowed Hamilton to easily destroy his record in a year basically. ( :LOL: - and all you can do is laugh at that I guess.)

Its why I do wonder now whether the direction Liberty is taking the sport will end up being very detrimental to brilliant records achieved by drivers in the past.

Sure you can to some degree compare Schumacher to Hamilton, but in equal measure I don't honestly think you can take what records Hamilton and Schumacher have made over the seasons and compare them to the likes of Fangio, Clark and even Senna to a degree, though personally I will always consider the latter 3 as more impressive then the former 2.
But not to be too outrageous, that is my personal all-time top 5 list right there (yes Hamilton included shock horror I know) so Hamilton fans can put there pitchwork's down.;)

LC SPEED DEMON

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
@Wobbuffet I wonder what it would look like if every single f1 race was updated with today's points system? Now that's some stats I'd like to see

ClassicDelta

GP2 Reserve Driver
Aug 30, 2018
RIP Anthoine Hubert such a promising and exciting young driver. What a horrific crash.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Firstly RIP Anthoine Hubert.

What a tragic day this is and that was without doubt one of the most horrific crashes I've seen in my life, its on days like this that motorsport and racing itself becomes secondary and reminds us all, despite all the important leaps and strides that has been made to improve driver safety, (which has been greatly improved over the years) that the drivers are still putting there lives on the line...

Reactions: Panda8

LC SPEED DEMON

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
RIP Anthoine hubert
For anyone that hasn't seen the actual crash this view shows the point of impact. Be warned tho it's not nice to watch

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Firstly, RIP Anthoine Hubert. I saw the above video yesterday when I was alerted to the news. I did not do the usual watching live of any of the Saturday race programme as I normally would. It has cast a shadow over the remainder of the weekend's events, I thought it right to cancel the rest of the F2 action going on from that point.

Onto the F1 race, congratulations to Ferrari for managing the race quite well. I was surprised at the relaxed way that Vettel handed the race back to Leclerc under instruction, but maybe not so much given the events of the previous day. But, I actually thought he drove a good team drive today and I was impressed. He actually did enough in holding up Hamilton to prevent him having a proper go at Leclerc, his defending was faultless and I think Hamilton used up a lot of battery, tyres and brakes in getting past and he had to take some cooler laps to regroup for a push for the top step.

Mentally, I think this shows how strong Leclerc is. He withstood everything and came across today as the least flustered, most mature driver I have seen in one so young. It was a shame Max had a rush of blood and took out Kimi as he is really driving so well. Lando Norris capitalised on the error and must get the unluckiest driver award since the last one I wanted to hand out. To drop off the map with 1 lap to go must have been super frustrating.

I voted for Alex Albon as Driver of the Day. His performance in the Red Bull was everything that Pierre Gasly's recent performances weren't. Considering his starting position, he did absolutely brilliantly. I do worry him and Perez may both be reprimanded for the last lap DRS shenanigans. You cannot admit to it! Perez was the instigator, but I think Albon's naivety to admit it so candidly in the post-race chats might bite him. There is no doubt in my mind he deserved the place finish, maybe not Lando's 5th place as he rather lucked into that one but even so 17th to 6th is very creditable. I'm so glad there is a race next week where this can all be allowed to play out.

Apart from a mid-race lull for 10 laps or so, I thought it was great value entertainment again. Hamilton is gonna win the title for sure, but surely after the awful events it really is time to step down if you lack the passion. I think the signal is coming from Vettel that he's about to wave the white flag.

Hulkenberg to Ferrari couldn't happen, could it?

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
I too unfortunately saw that 'other angle' of Hubert's crash on Saturday, I saw that on twitter as at the time there had been nothing officially said about Hubert and I was trying to understand what actually happened as when I originally saw that accident live, I thought it was 3 cars that had crashed but when I saw 'that' it made me sick to my stomach - as I realised it was only 2, at that point I knew he was in serious trouble.

The grim reality is that the monocoque did originally protect the driver in the first instance, (his original crash into the barriers) but theres no way anyone could expect/legislate in those circumstances for a even more violent 2nd impact so many seconds after the first.

The thing is in the aftermath of this I don't know where those who focus on the safety side of formula cars go from here, as questions will naturally and eventually be asked by the media etc like, 'was Hubert's death avoidable? could these cars be safer?'

And personally, I currently don't see how they can be as when you have this being quoted when looking up 'F1 safety monocoque' on google:
Monocoque - Survival Cell. Monocoque guarantees the safety of the driver in extreme situations. This carbon fiber safety cell is almost indestructible and plays a key role in the safety of Formula 1. And safety standards in top-class motor racing have improved at a breathtaking rate in recent years.
(Yes I know that it was a F2 car Hubert was in, but there surely can't be any fundamental difference between a F2 & F1 monocoque)

So the task that will likely be asked of monocoque designers/builders after Hubert's death is, how would it be possible to turn 'almost indestructible' to 'indestructible'?