2x Tire Wear Concerns | ApexOnlineRacing.com

2x Tire Wear Concerns

Griff1894

AOR PS4 LMP2 TEC Champion
May 28, 2016
I was asked to take a survey for this Tire Wear issue.
View attachment 9493
Personally it really doesn't matter to me. AOR STAFF made a decision for season 5 and I stand with them. Every racing format has a set of parameters within that format F1, Nascar, Rally, DTM, each have different rules and regulations and each driver drives as fast as possible in that format of racing.

This is my personal opinion:
AOR STAFF made a decision for season 5 race rules and regulations. It's up to the drivers to race as fast as they can under those parameters whether the driver uses hard, med, or soft tires, pits 1,2,3 or time's it's up to the driver and race engineer to come up with the best strategy to finish that race as fast as possible. So quit Whining, :arghh: figure out what you need to do for each race.

I truly believe AOR STAFF is doing there best for us to have the best online race experience. AOR STAFF you can't please everybody, so stick to your decision on the 2x tire wear. When things change it takes people out of there comfort zone. To bad you can't monitor tire compound changes and decide what compounds are used in each circuit. That would raise some eyebrows.
AOR STAFF I really like the rolling start format you implemented, Great Job!!! :D:D:D
Absolutely perfectly put

Papand

F1 Test Driver
Jul 17, 2015
Driver feedback is very important @VTC-16. Thats how we got rolling start in the first place. Drivers "whined" that standing start did not work as it should. So things were changed together with the drivers.

Its the same scenario now. We, the drivers, give our feedback what works and what does not. Thats how you keep evolving things all the time.

VTC-16

Premium Member
Premium Member
Feb 27, 2016
Driver feedback is very important @VTC-16. Thats how we got rolling start in the first place. Drivers "whined" that standing start did not work as it should. So things were changed together with the drivers.

Its the same scenario now. We, the drivers, give our feedback what works and what does not. Thats how you keep evolving things all the time.
I understand that, AOR is trying there best so maybe they will make change next season

Sonic_X49

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Mar 8, 2015
As far as rolling starts love them it makes it feel like a real race. As far as Tyre wear as much as I would want 1x to return and maybe have a forced required pit stop I can live with it if it don't change.

Bertman2015

Pro Karter
Jan 27, 2015
As a complete noob to the league guys my observation is based more on the races than tyre preservation and strategy. Having watched the whole of season 4 as a spectator there were sone fantastic races. Increasing the potential number of pit stops seems to fragment the races to me-Take an exciting close race, the drivers decide to pit, they come back out, out of position and spend laps on their own catching up. I decided on two stops at Catalunya both times coming out to an empty track. I overtook some people on different laps but can't say I raced with anyone for long that night. I think it also brings in the risk of more accidents- the flag system isn't great and from far back I found myself trying to overtake cars out of position ahead of me, also avoiding cars coming out of the pits. I'm enjoying my first experiences online and will enjoy which ever way it goes. Just sharing some thoughts

blizzardwizard

GP2 Reserve Driver
May 17, 2015
Personally, I don't see a problem with the x2 tyre wear implementation. This is the fourth GT3 season I've participated in, and whilst I can only speak for Xbox, I thought having less tyre wear ultimately provided more artificial racing, with many people doing 0 stops, which is something to me at least which just didn't seem realistic in any way. To be viewed as a relatively serious, 'proper' racing championship, surely one of the most integral focuses drivers must consider and account for is tyre wear. On x2, the tyre wear is perfectly reasonably, as long as you aren't pushing the car like it's a qualifying run every single lap. Besides, additional intrigue provided courtesy of people running numerous different strategies with the occasional gamble for me just adds to the challenge and excitement, and can create some unpredictable racing, with the odd surprise being thrown up by those who take a bold risk and have it pay off, just like in real life racing.

Consider my two cents given.. :D

WarnTyre

AOR AEC GTE Champion
Feb 3, 2016
I think this is stupid.

2x makes it more challenging. Not only the faster driver will win, but you also has to drive smart and clever. Push or save tires? 1 pit or 2 pit? It all comes down to practice and strategy.

There will always be disadvantage and advantage with some cars.

I vote for 2x.

Last edited:

Raigore

F1 Champion
Apr 19, 2016
Not only the faster driver will win, but you also has to drive smart and clever. Push or save tires?
I noticed that this isn't as simple when your driving in the middle of the pack.
It all comes down to practice.
I takes crazy amount of practice already to be up pace. Doing 20 lap stints trying to improve tyrewear takes even more time. Some people got families, jobs, ect. just sayin'.

WarnTyre

AOR AEC GTE Champion
Feb 3, 2016
I noticed that this isn't as simple when your driving in the middle of the pack.

I takes crazy amount of practice already to be up pace. Doing 20 lap stints trying to improve tyrewear takes even more time. Some people got families, jobs, ect. just sayin'.

• Winner
Reactions: t0daY

FisiFan91

AOR Founder
Staff member
AOR Admin
Jan 12, 2014
@FisiFan91 I guess there will be an announcement on this issue at some point as to how we are going to proceed. Either way roughly when will more information or an announcement be made?
In a few days I'll collect all the responses from the surveys from each league and then we'll analyze the results and try to figure out how best to proceed, but for now all you need to know is that nothing will be changed before the next race at Sakitto.

Also we appreciate all the viewpoints & thoughts from everyone posting in here, regardless of what your opinion is, so keep it coming!

• Informative
Reactions: VLX_NovA

Dr sToneZz

F1 Sponsored Driver
Sep 10, 2015
1 thing I didn't mention in my previous post. Now that x2 was added along with realistic driving aids, in my tier (xb1 elite) we have a mclaren/z4 championship with 1 amg thrown in the mix.

Also I've not tried it so I mite be totally wrong but x2 at nordschleife is going to cause some problems.

I think we should keep the rules as they are till the mid season break once a few tracks have been tested with this current setup. If any changes were to be implemented make it at the halfway stage.

• Agree
Reactions: Raigore and Def

Griff1894

AOR PS4 LMP2 TEC Champion
May 28, 2016
@Dr sToneZz I like your idea. Maybe after running x2 at a few more races we will realise it is actually the way forward. If @FisiFan91 survey comes back as a majority wanting x1 tyrewear back then change it at the mid season break. Give it a chance I say guys. I also think in theory it does give an opportunity for a noob like myself to gain some extra places if I'm careful with my tyres. I one stopped in my first race, running softs twice and only found that I had lost all grip for maybe 2, 3 laps in each stint. I'm sure there are setup and driving style compromises that help save tyres. I personally like it, balls out and two stop or soften up and 1 stop. I'm also not driving a z4 I'm in the mclaren

marcoboyle

Formula Karter
Jun 26, 2016
My personal thoughts (sorry if this is long) - as a total noob to the series, and therefore with no predisposed biases, I felt that the 2x tyre wear was actually pretty good. I cannot compare it to 1x wear though, so i'll leave it to those who have. I realise no one likes change - and especially not if it feels like its just change for changes sake, but i see a lot of personal biases creeping in to the debate which arent entirely relevant.

In the first race i was in, there were people who tried to 1 stop - and struggled at the end of both stints allowing those who 2 stopped to catch quickly. This made it exciting (as is usually the case when two cars on different strategies converge near the end of the race). It kind of reminded me of the 2013 F1 season when the tyre tended to 'fall off the cliff', i remember Raikonen and a couple of others others at times trying to go too long on their last stint and lost a few places in the last lap or two. Thats the gamble you take. Thats what creates excitement imo.

On the other side I see a lot of experienced guys who arent a fan of it. I see their reasoning and some of it makes sense. If in other tiers, or platforms, it isnt making different strategies converge at the end of a race, then we will see over the next few races that it wont help with close racing, and they will be right.

The only thing i think hasnt been considered (or I missed it, sorry) is that the official FIA GT3 championship - on which i guess this is based on - has a mandatory pit stop in a 1 hour race. Maybe that is something which could be considered?
Is it not in our rules because its difficult to enforce 100% without a 'steward' watching everyone? 2x tyre wear would certainly fix that concern because noone can get to the end without a stop (hopefully).

Also, if there were races last season where people did no stops then doesnt that effectively turn it into a kind of 'sprint' race? Im not sure if thats what this series is supposed to be about. If the tyre wear is 2x everyone has to stop at least once, so that fixes that consideration as well.

If it goes back to 1x tyre wear, and if people had a mandatory pitstop then you wouldnt have any situations where people were running out of tyres at the end of stint - meaning there isnt any major change in pace across the race between drivers. Generally speaking, the fast guys will start at the front (mostly) and drive off, leading to a spread out field at the end of a race. That to me = a boring race.
In order to foster close racing and excitement (without making it obviously artificial) i think the tyre wear just now is actually quite good.

As a downside to 2x wear, with it being 'virtual' racing, there is the inherent risk that people will be more inclined to fight harder or more unfairly that they would if it was real and there were real consequences with the last lap or two of the race to keep places, which is a risk for crashes.

I agree that it hasnt made more strategies or varying compound choices 'viable', as was the intent - but apparently nothing will, so thats a moot point.

The fundamental here, which i think should be the main point of focus is - 'does 2x tyre wear make the races more or less LIKELY to be exciting? If the answer is yes, then keep it. If the answer is no, then there is no real harm in reverting to the way it was.

It has only been one race so we need to be careful not to commit to, or demand knee jerk reactions.

Sorry if this ended up being a bit of a ramble!

Last edited:

Chiraq

AOR's 'Finest' Driver
Staff member
AC Coordinator
Jun 28, 2016
My only concern are the guys playing with gamepads, these guys are struggling really much.

I see the benefits of X2 but there is too much bs going on with the game itself it is a more a risk than fun imo.

Paradyski

Formula 4 1st Driver
May 21, 2016
Hi guys
Just doing some practice laps to test tires, can anyone recommend an app ( free app :) that will monitor performance throughout session ?

Miniblack

GP2 Test Driver
Apr 17, 2014
I have always been bad at conserving tires, so 2X tire-wear would only force me to get better in that aspect.
Nothing bad about that, but since this game is a little weird on tires, I can fully understand why 1X would be the way to go.
It's not so much about how hard it is to get the tires to the end, but more the way that the game works with tires.
Right now we only have one tire to race on, if the Mediums or Hard tires worked as they should, then i would fully back the 2X tirewear if not more. :) But as I see it, both 1X- 2X tirewear still gives great races !

• Agree
Reactions: AndrexUK

Sonic_X49

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Mar 8, 2015
I always heard PC has different coding than consoles due to the fact the Z4 is not the best that it is on consoles or the fact those PC guys are just that good. Either way we just need to keep our heads down and just race regardless we like how rules go I mean it's why we signed up for AOR in the first place!

Fredde

Formula 3 Test Driver
Jun 16, 2016
I'm just gonna leave this here..

(Lap 35, round 2 at Sakkito, AOR PC Elite season 5)
tyrewear.png

• Winner
Reactions: Ycoms