PC - ACC GT3 Season 1 - Pro-Am - ROUND 4 - Barcelona - 20.08.19 @8PM UK TIME | ApexOnlineRacing.com

PC ACC GT3 Season 1 - Pro-Am - ROUND 4 - Barcelona - 20.08.19 @8PM UK TIME

VoodooChild

Assetto Corsa Coordinator
Staff member
AC Coordinator
Mar 27, 2018
And so far we have only been restarting the session, correct? Just to know what to expect from the early lobby tonight
at the lobby start (in Q) you can expect anything between dry and rainy weather.

we very much prefer not to have Thuderstorm/red flag conditions, so if the lobby were to start in these conditions, we would probably restart it.

however, we have no real control on how much worse the weather will get, so there is a (fortunately slight) chance that we might experience flooded track during the race session.

Reactions: ApexMaibom

JulianSchmitz

Pro Karter
Jul 7, 2019
This race will be interesting!!! Those that are prepared will do well, those that are not will struggle. HIGHLY suggest looking at the ACC League discord chat and the VOD's.

Basically it looks to me like the session will start either dry or wet BUT it will transition and the transition will last longer than the 1st. AGAIN, this is just my observations!
With the way the weather and track conditioning in ACC works is there any chance we will get a 60-30min practice session before qualifying for season 2?

I dont know if I am the only one who would like seeing this, but getting time to practice on the actual conditions of the actual race session has more value to me than any other "practice" on same server settings.
I mean you pointed out that prepared people will do better than those that didnt prepare, which is only fair. But I wont see me do 3x1,5h practice races that are not taken that serious and build 3 different sets just to have the one perfect one in my sleeve. A set that in the end possibly wont even be the perfect one because of the randomness that is left in the conditions. I would rather build baselines and adjust them depending on actual session conditions. Otherwise you just generate an artificial gap between those who put a huge amount of time in to beat the randomness and those who dont, which again is somewhat of fair but yea ...
Just my opinion that I want to bring to discussion, maybe Im the only one who sees it this way. This comes from a guy who didnt build any sets yet in ACC because I havent had the time yet or wasnt willing to invest the time.

I have the feeling you guys want to force interesting weather conditions instead of using the weather system ACC gives us. If there is practice session beforehand, and the server settings are kinda realistic you can adjust your baselines on the fly. Just how it works IRL. There is one thing that works against that tho and that is the fact that we dont have weather prediction for the whole racing day like in IRL.

I guess there are reasons why it is how it is right now, but Im new here so I dont know them. :D

Shooter80

Staff member
AC Coordinator
Premium Member
Dec 23, 2017
With the way the weather and track conditioning in ACC works is there any chance we will get a 60-30min practice session before qualifying for season 2?

I dont know if I am the only one who would like seeing this, but getting time to practice on the actual conditions of the actual race session has more value to me than any other "practice" on same server settings.
That was discussed. But was deemed to make it even more unfair. Giving people a chance to practice in the near exact conditions that Q will be (if we set the free practice to take place immediately before Q) would give a massively unfair advantage to anyone who is available during that hour compared to those who are not. Disadvantaging people who didn't make it home from work yet or were eating etc during that time.

Restarting the full server to completely randomise it at 7:50PM stops anyone having a chance to prepare for exact conditions, and means that any prep work anyone did over the last week (or, well, since we released the server config) is valid no matter when it took place, so that people who had an hour to run around on Friday night have just as valid info as people who had an hour to run around before the race.

I didn't do any practice until the race last night, but from what I learned in that (and from talking to others) the only 'trick' worth knowing is that the track cools a lot from when the race starts, it doesn't take long for it to turn to night (10x time progression), so your pressures drop about 1PSI pretty soon into the race. I'm starting with my tyre pressures 1PSI higher than I would based on the starting conditions, which should hopefully mean that I'll spent most of the race at my target (28.5 Dry, 30.5 Wet) as opposed to 1PSI below it.

The wets don't really care about being ran on a dry track, but the slicks will betray you at even the slightest amount of standing water, so if its dry and starts raining, I'd pit sooner rather than later.

Other than that, its just driving the car as quickly as you can without letting it get in contact with anything.

Best of luck (I know I'll need some).

VoodooChild

Staff member
AC Coordinator
Mar 27, 2018
That's an already available option. AOR and Hivemind servers have been running the round 4 configuration since wednesday and all the AOR drivers are whitelisted there.

The whole issue is that we cannot control "the actual condition of the actual race session" if random weather is turned on.

I mean you pointed out that prepared people will do better than those that didnt prepare, which is only fair. But I wont see me do 3x1,5h practice races that are not taken that serious and build 3 different sets just to have the one perfect one in my sleeve. A set that in the end possibly wont even be the perfect one because of the randomness that is left in the conditions. I would rather build baselines and adjust them depending on actual session conditions. Otherwise you just generate an artificial gap between those who put a huge amount of time in to beat the randomness and those who dont, which again is somewhat of fair but yea ...
Just my opinion that I want to bring to discussion, maybe Im the only one who sees it this way. This comes from a guy who didnt build any sets yet in ACC because I havent had the time yet or wasnt willing to invest the time.
Random weather ensures that no one - whether they spend one week practicing and testing or just show up 5 minutes before the race - will have a perfectly tailored setup for the race.
We may or may not have rain in the race, this means that the correct strategy is to have an all-around setup that can reasonably work both in the dry and in the wet.

I have the feeling you guys want to force interesting weather conditions instead of using the weather system ACC gives us.
LOL ?!?

If there is practice session beforehand, and the server settings are kinda realistic you can adjust your baselines on the fly. Just how it works IRL. There is one thing that works against that tho and that is the fact that we dont have weather prediction for the whole racing day like in IRL.
I guess there are reasons why it is how it is right now, but Im new here so I dont know them.
That is not how the server work.
I mean, we can set a practice session before the Q and R sessions, no probalme about that, but that won't guarantee at all that you'll have similar conditions in practice and race.
Yesterday's race started perfectly dry, transitioned to rain during the night and went back to sun and 38 degrees on the track by the morning.
We are perfectly fine with this conditions, BUT it happened once or twice (during a whole week of testing) that a session had red flag conditions, so it's a remote eventuality but it might happen.

You can read more about this matter in my request to ACC devs on their forum:

VoodooChild

Staff member
AC Coordinator
Mar 27, 2018
TIP & TRICKS

the pitstop strategy is still glitched, so if you want to change tyres compound, the pressures you carefully prepared before the race will be completely gone.

In this example, I started the race in dry tyres and I prepared the pitstop strategy 5 as WET tyres with saved initial pressures around 26-27 PSI, but when it started raining and O selected the strategy in MFD, it had initial pressures around 22 PSI.

Instead of correcting the pressure (which would have required like 200 clicks on my wheel rim buttons) i switched to strategy 4, which had DRY tyres, and changed them to WET. The pressures resetted to 27.3/27.2 so i was only few clicks away from the pressures i really wanted.

• Informative

JulianSchmitz

Pro Karter
Jul 7, 2019
That was discussed. But was deemed to make it even more unfair. Giving people a chance to practice in the near exact conditions that Q will be (if we set the free practice to take place immediately before Q) would give a massively unfair advantage to anyone who is available during that hour compared to those who are not. Disadvantaging people who didn't make it home from work yet or were eating etc during that time.
Yeah I thought that would be the reasoning for that. If thats the way the majority sees it its fine. I see it the other way around, I would take more time at race day and prepare once than build several possible sets in several practice race sessions.

Restarting the full server to completely randomise it at 7:50PM stops anyone having a chance to prepare for exact conditions, and means that any prep work anyone did over the last week (or, well, since we released the server config) is valid no matter when it took place, so that people who had an hour to run around on Friday night have just as valid info as people who had an hour to run around before the race.
Isnt it like there arent exact conditions because weather gets recalculated for every race weekend?

I didn't do any practice until the race last night, but from what I learned in that (and from talking to others) the only 'trick' worth knowing is that the track cools a lot from when the race starts, it doesn't take long for it to turn to night (10x time progression), so your pressures drop about 1PSI pretty soon into the race. I'm starting with my tyre pressures 1PSI higher than I would based on the starting conditions, which should hopefully mean that I'll spent most of the race at my target (28.5 Dry, 30.5 Wet) as opposed to 1PSI below it.

The wets don't really care about being ran on a dry track, but the slicks will betray you at even the slightest amount of standing water, so if its dry and starts raining, I'd pit sooner rather than later.

Other than that, its just driving the car as quickly as you can without letting it get in contact with anything.

Best of luck (I know I'll need some).
Yea I looked into Shaggys stream to get an idea of what I have to deal with, its just even finding the correct pressures for quali is hard in a 15min full track qualifying session. But it also makes it somewhat more interesting and everyone has the same conditions.

That's an already available option. AOR and Hivemind servers have been running the round 4 configuration since wednesday and all the AOR drivers are whitelisted there.
Dont get me wrong, I meant a practice session on the same weather calculations of the official race. (same race weekend session) shooter got what i meant in his post.

The whole issue is that we cannot control "the actual condition of the actual race session" if random weather is turned on.
I know, I want the randomness dont get me wrong. (see at your LOL statement :))

Random weather ensures that no one - whether they spend one week practicing and testing or just show up 5 minutes before the race - will have a perfectly tailored setup for the race.
We may or may not have rain in the race, this means that the correct strategy is to have an all-around setup that can reasonably work both in the dry and in the wet.
They come up with different sets tho, and they then can apply the one they think is most suited for the official race session. But nothing wrong with that, if they put the time in they should benefit from that.

No offence mate :D
I just mean let the ACC weather randomizer do its thing, dont force some races to be rain transition or dry. It will happen eventually. But thats just my opinion in letting things go its way.

That is not how the server work.
I mean, we can set a practice session before the Q and R sessions, no probalme about that, but that won't guarantee at all that you'll have similar conditions in practice and race.
Yesterday's race started perfectly dry, transitioned to rain during the night and went back to sun and 38 degrees on the track by the morning.
We are perfectly fine with this conditions, BUT it happened once or twice (during a whole week of testing) that a session had red flag conditions, so it's a remote eventuality but it might happen.
I read the server handbook, didnt fiddle with testing the settings tho! But my understanding is, when you dont set to harsh randomness you wont jump from sunny to thunderstorm (except you are running at nurb ;))
So if you sit in a totally sunny practice/quli you can gamble on tweaking your car the most aggressive you able to handle for the race, if its cloudy you can go more conservative and plan for some drips of rain.
Another thing, when you set the server up to rain frequently at a race weekend you will never come up with a rubbered in track even if its dry for the race, which is fine again because of the rain beforehand, but if that is the result of forcing a wet race and then dont ending up with a wet race it kinda sucks.

VoodooChild

Staff member
AC Coordinator
Mar 27, 2018
No offence mate :D
I just mean let the ACC weather randomizer do its thing, dont force some races to be rain transition or dry. It will happen eventually. But thats just my opinion in letting things go its way.
That's why i wrote the LOL.
It's not possible to force the transitions, and we're not trying to do it.
What we are trying to do is to find a sweet spot where we might have dry, we might have dry, or both, but NEVER red flag conditions.

I read the server handbook, didnt fiddle with testing the settings tho! But my understanding is, when you dont set to harsh randomness you wont jump from sunny to thunderstorm
That's not really clear.
According to patch notes, setting values between 1 and 5 "should result in plausible weather " (i wonder what they mean with "plausible". Floods, snow and hailstorms are "plausible" conditions, just not good for racing...) but is the randomness a degree of variation from the initial conditions? If the lobby starts in heavy rain and we have 1 randomness, maybe it can get a little bit better to light rain and a bit worse to thunderstorm? if we set 7 it can go dry as a desert or hurricane Katrina? It's very fracking confusing.

We had thunderstorm conditions at the start of a session with randomness set to 2, so yeah it is plausible that you can have a thunderstorm in the summer, but it is not plausible to drive in it.

Kunos, please, get your randomess togheter.

JulianSchmitz

Pro Karter
Jul 7, 2019
That's why i wrote the LOL.
It's not possible to force the transitions, and we're not trying to do it.
What we are trying to do is to find a sweet spot where we might have dry, we might have dry, or both, but NEVER red flag conditions.

That's not really clear.
According to patch notes, setting values between 1 and 5 "should result in plausible weather " (i wonder what they mean with "plausible". Floods, snow and hailstorms are "plausible" conditions, just not good for racing...) but is the randomness a degree of variation from the initial conditions? If the lobby starts in heavy rain and we have 1 randomness, maybe it can get a little bit better to light rain and a bit worse to thunderstorm? if we set 7 it can go dry as a desert or hurricane Katrina? It's very fracking confusing.

We had thunderstorm conditions at the start of a session with randomness set to 2, so yeah it is plausible that you can have a thunderstorm in the summer, but it is not plausible to drive in it.

Kunos, please, get your randomess togheter.
Yeah thats what S1 is for right? Finding suitable settings.

What I got from the handbook is, the higher the randomness, the higher the peaks in severeness and the higher the frequency of change and the lower the influence of the cloud/rain setting. When you lower the randomness the cloud and rain settings have more influence. When you put the cloud cover and rain up with low randomness it will be rainy all the time.
Maybe low randomness, low cloud cover but high rain will end up dry/rain rain/dry transitions, but I havent tested it!
Although its really hard to test it because you don’t get the full weather plot they use in the handbook, you only get the windows where you put your sessions.

Shooter80

Staff member
AC Coordinator
Premium Member
Dec 23, 2017
lthough its really hard to test it because you don’t get the full weather plot they use in the handbook, you only get the windows where you put your sessions.
Yea, that's the problem, to test any specific set of settings it would take you the entire race time (so 90mins) and then you'd probably have to do that 10 times to get a decent 'feel' for what is more/less likely to happen, so 900mins/15hours, which no-one (or even a group of people) can realistically do in the time we have to decide and publish the server settings.

As much as its a good thing that they do it, it doesn't really help that Kunos are tweaking the weather variation/randomness in pretty much every patch. Every time a new patch or version of accServer comes out, we pretty much need to forget everything we think we know.

No matter if we like it or not, we are all testers/guinea-pigs, the coordinators as much as the racers, and we are just hoping to learn as we go.

All feedback/suggestions/testing is welcome, we pay attention to everything people write (even if we don't respond) and we discuss this stuff regularly (sometimes with input from Kunos), hopefully things will get clearer as time goes on.

TicklishPicklewickle

Project CARS Coordinator
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 23, 2016
Not gonna be able to make it tonight. Uni preparations are taking a lot of my time atm as I'm starting in just a little over a week. Sorry :(

• Informative
Reactions: GIXXERosg

xype

Pro Karter
Jul 10, 2019
I feel like 90 minute races are not for me... I dont even know what happend but i couldnt change anything in my car like TC and pit strategy after the start. I somehow manage to change the tyres to wets but still I couldnt turn on the lights etc. Sorry for someone that I hit in the chicane couldnt do anything about that.

BDG_Geo

GP2 2nd Driver
Jan 20, 2019
Punted on Lap one from out of nowhere again..second race in a row its happened..its basic knowledge to know that u need to be careful in the rain :(
So race ruined on lap one..not much else to say except..wow :/

LiboCZ

GP2 Reserve Driver
Jul 25, 2016
Well, another poor race from me... Had bad pace during wet part but on the other hand I think my pace in dry conditions was quite good but for the first time within my AOR history, one guy really makes me angry, hit me twice during the race, proste will follow tomorrow.

PS: @SergioKillerLA I would like to appologize for my behavoir at the end of the race, my fault, feel free to send it to stewards.
PS2: Conratz to podium guys @T.Pepito @krop and winner @p4thos

SergioKillerLA

Pro Karter
Jul 3, 2019
Good evening everyone,
First of all congratulations to the winners of the evening @T.Pepito @krop and winner @p4thos .
Otherwise, I was particularly disappointed by this race. I was hit several times all along the race, which greatly impacted my pace.
@LiboCZ, I don't think our contact has been the most severe. I basically remember the big s.....t by @Vallla that I would post to the stewards soon.
I also think that the 90min race is a bit long. Personally I drive in VR and after an hour it becomes complicated.

Last edited:

TheRealestPepito

Formula 4 Test Driver
Jun 21, 2019
Good race at the front. Congrats @krop and @p4thos . Unbelievable pace, couldnt keep up. Would like to thank the backmarkers who did a good job with the blue flags. May i suggest something though. When you're about to let someone lap you, try to do it on the straights with a bit of a lift off instead of in the braking zone where you brake as normal and just sort of go straight to let us through cause its confusing. We dont know if youre actually letting us through until the last second. Liftoff in the straights will save you and the leaders a lot of time overall :) Just a friendly suggestion. Good job overall on the blue flags from my end though (y)

Juantxo Ovalle

Semi-Pro Karter
Jul 5, 2019
Good night fellow drivers,
For me it was a quite nice race. I started 15th and managed to get 7th position. I used default wet setup with 110 L. In the begining I was quite confident in wet conditions but as the track started to dry I couldn't find the pace. My pit stop was a desaster as I didn't unchecked the repair options and I refueled nearly 40L in excess. I lost almost 10 s. I improved in the second part of race in dry conditions and slick tyres. Nice clean battles with @SergioKillerLA and @Stanek. I really enjoyed night-day and wet-dry transitions.
See you next time.
My onboard camera.

Last edited:

GIXXERosg

AOR PC GT3 S12 T4 Champion
Staff member
AC Coordinator
Premium Member
Jul 9, 2016
I'll be honest, the more I look through the replays the more I see a LOT of BS. AOR expectations by R4 everyone has figured out how to properly race to AOR Standards!

We seem to have some that just don't get it yet but fully understand S1 is all about the knowing who can race to AOR Standards for S2.

S1 R5 is PR... 100% tempted to just sit, watch and record some of the race craft!!!