PC - AOR Endurance League Season 3 - R4: Road America | ApexOnlineRacing.com

PC AOR Endurance League Season 3 - R4: Road America

Bankai_Bullett

F1 Senna Equivalent
Apr 4, 2015
We don't 'block' anyone. We stick to our lines, as we are told to... and it's up the LMP cars to make the overtake because you guys have the power and downforce to do so.
It's also up to the LMP cars to use their brains and sacrifice lap time to get everyone through a corner safely, instead of the "**** you, I'm going through regardless" mentality that sometimes reared its head.
More than 5 times I had to abort any attempt at a corner because an LMP had decided to just barge on through.

GT are not to roll out the Red carpet... that's the way it is.

morphee7

ACC Coordinator
Staff member
ACC Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 27, 2018
quick question do the lmp drivers ever drive the gts competativly? and vice versa because i was watching @Doc on stream last night and he was more than curtious which brings me to the thought that because he drives gts he knows the gts only have one line

Col.McCoy

F1 Triple Champion
May 26, 2016
@DaWu I absolutely agree with you, I've been on both sides.
What I especially want to get at, are the moments accelerating out of corner before turning into the next one... it's normally low downforce and LOWER speeds, so minimum time loss. Ofcourse it's time loss for somebody, but that's the balance between GTE and LMP.. some moments we hold off, some moments you guys go a meter wider.
Anyway, the information flow is important and it's just unacceptable to come up with 'no overtakes here'. Every situation is different and 'the here' part is just very unclear.. where does it start.. I experienced some people who slammed the door in situations where opening it up would have given them a lot better aerodynamics in the fast right hander afterwards.

EDIT: also agree with you @Bankai_Bullett, as I said before, have been there as well, and know from some experience it sometimes better not to take the normal line. What seems to be forgotten (in my oppinion) is that overtaking rules still apply. So if I get my car alongside, this does mean you are responsible as well

Bankai_Bullett

F1 Senna Equivalent
Apr 4, 2015
@DaWu I absolutely agree with you, I've been on both sides.
What I especially want to get at, are the moments accelerating out of corner before turning into the next one... it's normally low downforce and LOWER speeds, so minimum time loss. Ofcourse it's time loss for somebody, but that's the balance between GTE and LMP.. some moments we hold off, some moments you guys go a meter wider.
Anyway, the information flow is important and it's just unacceptable to come up with 'no overtakes here'. Every situation is different and 'the here' part is just very unclear.. where does it start.. I experienced some people who slammed the door in situations where opening it up would have given them a lot better aerodynamics in the fast right hander afterwards.

EDIT: also agree with you @Bankai_Bullett, as I said before, have been there as well, and know from some experience it sometimes better not to take the normal line. What seems to be forgotten (in my oppinion) is that overtaking rules still apply. So if I get my car alongside, this does mean you are responsible as well
If you, in an LMP, are alongside me, in a GTLM... then you'll always be able to own the corner, simply because you can brake later than me.
However, that doesn't mean an LMP driver has the right to shove their nose in and then expect the GT driver to move the hell out of the way. And it's very rude, more than anything else.

Basically, if your side-by-side heading into a corner, the corner is yours, just on a performance level. No GT driver will fight you on that one, because it's easier for us to just brake slightly earlier than normal, then use the slipstream out of the corner.
However, if you are heading into a corner and you're NOT side-by-side, then shoving your nose in is a silly move... which is why the LMP driver must wait until both cars are through the corner, then they can use the superior performance to overtake.
Fighting through a corner shouldn't even happen... like, at all.

DaWu

AOR PC GT3 Semi-Pro S8 Champion
May 22, 2017
I experienced some people who slammed the door in situations where opening it up would have given them a lot better aerodynamics in the fast right hander afterwards.
Yeah ofc, GTEs should not slam the door and can try to make it "easy" for the LMPs to overtake yeah.

What seems to be forgotten (in my oppinion) is that overtaking rules still apply. So if I get my car alongside, this does mean you are responsible as well
The problem is LMPs can brak 15m later... so you brake as GTE and start turn in, and at this moment suddenly the LMP is on your side.
If you're talking about "overtaking rules" that should be a divebomb and not be allowed.
And its said that LMPs have to make the overtake as safe as possible... diving into the brakingzone when the GTE car is braking normal isnt safe!!!!!
Even if you're able to be alongside the car at the turn in point.

LMPs are responsible for the overtake in the end, and when the GTE is sticking to the racing line you need to find a way around (SAFE).
Others are able to do it, so there is no "GTEs need to help us more" and only bcs only if a few of you LMP guys struggle with the GTE cars, all the GTE cars should drive different now.

Go into a lobby with GTEs AI or real guys and find good spots and how you can make your own time loss minimum while making the overtake safe.

In the next race i'll not leave every door wide open anymore, bcs some LMPs are abusing it and clearly dont care about us GTEs.
I'm sorry for all the safe LMP driver i was giving a lot of space... but i also was almost kicked out 2-3 times this race by an LMP going for the minimum gap.

Col.McCoy

F1 Triple Champion
May 26, 2016
Understand... and to clarify, I was not talking about divebombs, but about accelerating out of the corner and starting the 'carroussel'

DaWu

May 22, 2017
the start of the carroussel isn't the best overtaking but possible if both leave the space...
if the GTE wants to take the Racing line and not lose time there... you should wait till the exit of it.
You'll lose a bit of time but the GTE will lose more if he let you pass.

Edit: and the dirty air is a killer for the GTEs in the last sector at the carrousell AND the kink after it.
If you dont keep that in mind you're making it very hard for the GTE and ofc some will not take the risk of that dirty air and will keep you behind.

Col.McCoy

F1 Triple Champion
May 26, 2016
Every situation is different and therefore we can not just say, no overtakes 'here'.

DaWu

May 22, 2017
it was "we recommand no overtakes there/ you should not" no one would've said somehting of you did overtake safe there so it wasnt safe anyway.

Deerladog

Premium Member
Premium Member
AOR Commentator
Aug 24, 2017
In Tier 2 there were definitely 2 or 3 drivers in LMP who showed no consideration for GTE cars, and would just shove their nose up the inside regardless. I almost died at the kink at least twice because of an impatient LMP. Its the faster cars job to make a safe overtake, and a car in another class has no obligation to make way for you like in F1, we just cant actively defend. There are parts of the track where you could be stuck behind us for 10 seconds or more if we dont actively let you through, and parts where there is no reason for you to even try an overtake due to the tightness of the turn or due to the limitations on how a GT has to take the turn. At the kink if an LMP is insistent on showing its nose we either have to completely lift out of the corner or hit the wall. We all know its frustrating to be sat behind a car 10 seconds a lap slower than you, but everyone else in the LMP field will get stuck behind a GT at some point so it mostly evens out. I have a feeling that some GTE drivers here will happily take the apex at Daytona turn 1 giving the LMP the choice of backing out or hitting the pit wall if they know its a certain individual lul

Doc

Formula 3 2nd Driver
Sep 8, 2017
From what i saw yesterday the majority of lmp drivers were safe except 2-3 (Not mentioning names) but I would highly advise the Lmps that want to know were it is safe to overtake in the lmp is getting someone in the GTE to do a practice with you and just keep practicing overtakes at different points of the track. Yes, you will find yourself in different positions when it comes to race... but this practice will show you around 70% of your standard overtakes. Next, take the GTE cars out and just try the track. Maybe spend 20-30 minutes just driving around if you were racing and understand where the line is for that car which will make you're overtaking a lot safer.

Now talking about the carousel. I believe i overtook entering the carousel maybe 1-2 times the whole race and that was because I saw the GTE in front was not trying to follow someone through and I was battling someone behind me. I got the better exit heading down into the corner and was side by side just before turn in and try to get past as soon as possible.

There was 1-time mid carousel that I overtook that could be questioned but in my opinion was not unsafe. Mid carousel the GTE was just holding the tight line without coming out so I just drove around the outside and cleared him before corner exit.

Finally, a majority of the overtakes that were in no question not safe was on the exit, just taking a late apex and getting past safely.

LMPs should keep in mind that the in the majority of corners the GTEs have one line but... On the other hand (I didn't see this particularly) The gtes should keep in mind that just because at the start of the race (referring to Tier1) that it is unadvised for the LMPs to overtake into/in the carousel doesn't mean that they cant. There are some circumstances that it's 1.Safe 2. There is a battle for position and cant loose time (Whilst also making the overtake safely) 3. We will clear you (If set up right) Before corner entry.

Deerladog

Premium Member
Premium Member
AOR Commentator
Aug 24, 2017
I didnt mind LMPs going round my outside at the carousel. You have the downforce, and I usually keep it tight there anyway. As long as you dont compromise me at the kink the carousel was mostly fine imo (unless they try the inside at the carousel, then youre getting the door closed in your face)

Bankai_Bullett

F1 Senna Equivalent
Apr 4, 2015
Whereas my particular line around the carousel wouldn't allow an LMP to go around my outside.

It's a matter of knowing who you plan on passing, and how they drive.

Henry Gordan

F1 Sponsored Driver
Mar 9, 2017
Well I went to wall at kink, because I was lapped so much and didn't want to crash out anyone. But the LMP was looking like it would divebomb to the corner as he was fighting with other LMP that passed me on the straight between carousel and kink

TheGamingFez

Semi-Pro Karter
Jan 22, 2018
Oh its @TheGamingFez, so buddy im asking you then, do you mind if i keep 4th place?
Hiya sorry for the late reply but, personally I would be happy to as i understand how frustrating it is, however it affects more than just me because everyone in LMP2 will shuffle down a position im not the only one affected, but like I said i'm happy too.

Col.McCoy

F1 Triple Champion
May 26, 2016
Testing testing testing.
Already did a multi-class race there and it is not as bad as it looks. But once again, GTE bitches about the LMP2 and the LMP2s bitch about the GTE ;-).

In my oppinion, there is enough space to drive to some of the corners together, you just need to know from each other what they are capable of. Since the infield is small, they can block the road pretty easy to not let the LMP overtake, but this will create also a frustrating lmp2 who will get more aggresive. So as said many many times, sometimes also a GTE has/should sacrifice 1 second... cause we all know what happens when a frustrated LMP2 tries something and it doesnt work... I'm not defending the LMP2s position here... but I do understand it a lot.

It goes both ways, LMP2 drivers should drive GTE and be overtaken and see what it is like... but GTE drivers should definetely also drive the LMP2 to understand it the different way. I just know from my own personal experience driving GTE and being overtaken by LMP2, I would be sometimes more forgiving to them and maybe I loose a few more seconds, but I definetely know I avoid potential dangerous moments

Astrit Arsllani

GP2 Reserve Driver
May 6, 2016
Hiya sorry for the late reply but, personally I would be happy to as i understand how frustrating it is, however it affects more than just me because everyone in LMP2 will shuffle down a position im not the only one affected, but like I said i'm happy too.
ok, so you dont have a problem with it, and i thing @Vrooms dosent mind too, so @Spudbuster7 (5th), @joeriiseenbelg (6th), @Ztikes (7th), do you guys have a problem with me keeping 4th place?