AOR Formula Renault 2.0 Championship S5 - Round 4: Interlagos | ApexOnlineRacing.com

AOR Formula Renault 2.0 Championship S5 - Round 4: Interlagos

Richtofen

Formula 3 Test Driver
Dec 22, 2016
If anyone has a replay file of the feature race could you please send it to me? I need to make a protest but don't want to do it without accurate lap info. pls ty

Lorrentz

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 13, 2014
Q: the track felt way faster than in practise and my first banker was a 30.2 and I thought that would be decentish....but then my second lap I was 0.2 down but offtracked it :( and my third lap I offtracked it again...so I was a bit gutted because 30.0 would have put me way more in front of the field but well I knew my pace was pretty decent so it should be ok for the race...
p11 on the grid

R1 feature: @Tye spun straight away into turn 1 so that was an easy freebee for p10...then I was kinda in a battle with Jeroen @Jeroen de Quartel and Christian Holstein... @Ycoms I got caught up fighting a bit too much so Jeroen was pulling a small gap...and luckily @Ycoms wasn't fighting too much so we didn't loose to much track on Jeroen...when the pit window opened up Jeroen went in first...and I was trying to pull some fast laps to get in front of him but I was quite sloppy in the lap(s) after he pitted...then I made my pitstop and I was really pushing the pit entry :D had a decent stop and after everything cleared up I was in front of @Jeroen de Quartel by quite a big gap!! so i was surprised with that he must have made a half spin of something.... and then a few laps later I also came out in front of @Ycoms with a gap of 1.8....and then I build up the gap towards the guys behind to 4 seconds and more....unfortunately @Osterkamp and @J-F Godin were a bit too far up the road I was doing about the same pace but hey P7 and my first finish this season LOL not too bad :D

R2 sprint: took it easy on the start and had a good run towards turn 4....i decided to pick the outside line but the car in front of me lost it...and I had to go around him...lost 2 places to @McPhilen and @Christian Koch but was still looking good for a strong race...then in the twisty part @McPhilen ran too deep and spun @Bruno Domiter around....I thought I was around him but then his rear got my rear and it flipped my car....took the tow was a lap down and my car was toast lapping 2 seconds a lap slower LOL.....

Soo....with this sprintrace incident pace I think some day everyone has to start from the back of the grid :D

Reactions: Jeroen de Quartel

WCHpon3

Formula 3 1st Driver
Aug 26, 2015
Well, i lived through all the wrecking and got no points, and took no drivers out. Almost had an accident with many people, @McPhilen @The Genius but we all lived so no harm there.

and @Mitti87 PICK A GOD DAMN LINE WILL YOU?!?! DO YOU MIND, WE'RE DRIVING!!!!

McPhilen

iRacing Leagues Main Overseer
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014
Qualifying: Really good. There was a bit more on the table, pole definitely in reach, but was really happy to do the lap I did as I struggled in the small amount of qualifying practice I did just before the actual qualifying started.

Race 1: Overall, just didn't have the pace, but what a great start to the race. Had a nice battle with @Gunar Nijenhuis for a couple of laps before I slightly dropped it and lost that time. I then got passed by @Christian Koch and tried to keep with him and had a nice battle with him too, but just lost out again and had to try to keep @Synergi behind. Kristian then pitted early which slightly surprised me, but it clearly worked out as once the pit stop phase was over I was in 4th. I'd lost a bit of time with a back marker, but Kristian would have still been ahead. After the pit stop phase, I just had no pace really, and was being caught by both @Osterkamp and @J-F Godin, but luckily the race was over before they got close enough to pass me.

Race 2: Really bad on my part. Made contact with @Bruno Domiter (<3 <3 <3), which was totally my bad, just slightly misjudged it and the car just wouldn't turn any more at all. Unfortunately someone else got caught up, not sure who, but obviously sorry to that person as well. I then pitted and decided to try to gain as many positions back as I could. Ended up in the points (or point), but that was very bad. It seems there was also quite a big one on lap 1 which will also be looked at, obviously. Not great really.

Overall, mostly disappointed in the night, although the 4th in the feature was my 3rd in a row. So, that's something?

BUT

MOST IMPORTANTLY!

I led a lap. This basically makes me the greatest of all time.

Onto Nurb (and also potentially the Road Atlanta sprint) next week, which I look forward to as I really enjoy that track. Not particularly fast, but just really enjoy it.

McPhilen

Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014
Not me! I never took nobody out, especially not in the sprint race at Interlagos last season, nope!
Does it count if it disqualifies both drivers?

Ycoms

Double AOR iRacing GTE Champion
Mar 4, 2015
Well, reasonably happy, on a good way to get some confidence back on the track.

Quali: Decent, although: I got an off-track on my final lap in the 3rd to last corner, in the corner where you get off-tracks for actually not going off the track in the slightest. That lap would have been enough for 2nd, a little annoying. :p

Race 1: Not really much more I could have done in the end. Maybe could have defended better against @Jeroen de Quartel and @Lorrentz and missed my pit guy by a little, had to reverse, so I dropped out of the slipstream of Laurens which I couldn't recover, also made too many mistakes after that. But P8 very solid, can't really complain.

Race 2: Avoided the L1 last corner thingsies, although I had to slam the brakes and slowed to maybe 20kph, but at least didn't crash yet lol. Unfortunately on L7 @VICSALT spun right in front of me at the final corner, unfortunately I couldn't avoid him. Not too gutted though because it could have been a 1 or 2, not really more.

Lorrentz

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 13, 2014
Race 2: Really bad on my part. Made contact with @Bruno Domiter (<3 <3 <3), which was totally my bad, just slightly misjudged it and the car just wouldn't turn any more at all. Unfortunately someone else got caught up, not sure who, but obviously sorry to that person as well. I then pitted and decided to try to gain as many positions back as I could. Ended up in the points (or point), but that was very bad. It seems there was also quite a big one on lap 1 which will also be looked at, obviously. Not great really.
It was me :( who got caught out by Bruno his car....If the sprintraces were a lottery I would have put all my money on me getting killed on lap 1 :D but now I am going to cry in a corner...for a week :D
LOL

McPhilen

Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014
It was me :( who got caught out by Bruno his car....If the sprintraces were a lottery I would have put all my money on me getting killed on lap 1 :D but now I am going to cry in a corner...for a week :D
LOL
Ah damn, sorry man <3 You'd had a really good run that night as well.

Lorrentz

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 13, 2014
Ah damn, sorry man <3 You'd had a really good run that night as well.
Just my tough luck I guess being in the wrong place at the wrong time....raw pace is pretty decent this season now I only need the luck :eek: but hey the line is going steep upwards...

race 1: both races DNF in lap 1
race 2: DNF in lap 10 and DNF in lap 1
race 3: DNF in lap 19 and no race
race 4: P7 and P23 due too first lap drama

so by the end of the season I win both races :D

Richtofen

Formula 3 Test Driver
Dec 22, 2016
Quali: Pretty much where I expected to be. Out-qualified Sara to make it 2-2 in the quali battle so far, which will be interesting over the rest of the season.

Feature: I had a lot of fun in the opening laps. It was very clean and there was a lot of good overtaking going on. After that Mittner and Heuer (if I remember correctly) were coming through and I thought they would be faster so I didn't fight much, hoping they would make some gaps up ahead for me but they struggled to get past Waldo which slowed me down and cost us all time. Once they got through it was only a matter of time until I passed him myself, and once I did I was greeted with his nose cone up my gearbox at turn 7, spinning me around and continuing to push me off track. Lost time and positions, which in the end probably cost me 3 or 4 positions as I also had some diffuser damage as a result, making the rear end a bit too slidey. Very close finish with Stevie for the second feature race in a row as well.

Sprint: Not too bad, happy to finish 10th but some contact with Fisi on lap one (no damage or anything) allowed Plumley past and put others on my gearbox and in my slipstream so I couldn't challenge up front.

Overall some good points for the team with Sara in 7th, hopefully I can bag some more in the Road Atlanta Sprint from 3rd. The Nurburgring is pretty much my favourite track of all time so I should have decent pace there. I hope.

Christian Koch

AOR iRacing 2-time Formula Renault 2.0 Champion
Apr 5, 2016
can we do 2 separate championships? the feature and the sprint?

Meaning Sara and Manuel leading the sprint, right?!

• Funny
Reactions: heuer91

Jeroen de Quartel

Premium Member
Premium Member
Oct 14, 2016
Q: messed up t1 in lap 1 and took it a bit easier in lap 2, turned out to work quite well and set a 1.30.3 which was kind of my max during practice sessions as well. 3rd lap went event better with another 0.15 ahead untill I made a mistake in the last tight corner. P11 to start from, just behind Laurens de Rijk @Lorrentz which felt decent and in line with the practice sessions.

R1: Had a decent start followed by some very good laps. Worked my way forward through the field chasing Laurens @Lorrentz and Christian Holstein @Ycoms. Managed to benefit from the fight in front of me and past both, going to p7. I kept up the pace and put in a couple of mid 1.30's creating a gap of around 2s to Laurens and Christian. Hoped they would get into a fight and increase the gap but they went for the better tactics of keeping pressure on me. Then things started to go wrong, lost concentration, did 2 bad laps and had Laurens and Christian back on my tail. Decided to take an early pitstop to take off the pressure but my pit crew was sleeping and refused to fuel-up. Needed to click around a bit in the blackboxes to increase from 0 liter to 15 liter which apparently is not so easy wearing a cv1. Will need to train my pit crew some more..... All in all, lost around 5-6 seconds and 3 positions. Laurens and Christian were long gone and never saw them again.

Took a couple of laps to find some pace again and then I had a spin in turn 1, losing another position. After the rest of the field had there pitstops I found myself in p11 with a too large gap forward and a comfortable gap to the rear, not much happened after that, just cruising around till the finish. All in all not too bad with p11 but a bit disappointed, I think it would have been a nice fight with @Lorrentz and @Ycoms for p7 if my pit crew had done their job.

R2: Started around p11-12 again and extra motivated after "messing-up" R1. Strategy to push forward but carefully, avoiding the lap 1 crashes. Didn't turn out well, being over-cautious in T4 I go too wide and find there is no grip at that part of the track. I lose the rear and make a half spin, almost taking out @Lorrentz and collide with I think @Osterkamp - sorry guys!! After the incident my rear wing looks like a banana and there is no balance in the car anymore. I somehow and sort of manage to avoid the crazy !!! crash at the end of lap 1 (even from the replay I didn't understand how that one could get so messed up - good luck to the stewards.....). Rest of the race was not very exiting, driving at the rear of the field being off pace by 2 seconds per lap together with some other damaged cars. Result P18 or P19, not sure and I don't really want to remember either.....

For me no simracing next week, I am off to the beautiful white powdery skislopes of Hemsedal in Norway.
Good luck all with next week's race and the catch-up race on Road Atlanta!

Reactions: Lorrentz

Scott Newton

Premium Member
Premium Member
Feb 26, 2017
Wasn't expecting much given that I had a penalty from Road Atlanta. My own doing, totally accept the consequences and can now start with clean slate ish..

Started from the last row in feature and made some good progress until Lap 7 T1 where I was in the draft of a car infront and that person brakes earlier than I do and it caught me out and I speared into the inside wall at T1... That has never happened to me before so that was certainly not the way I wanted it to go.

For the sprint was in similar situation as the feature and was making good progress avoiding the cars infront but couldnt avoid a car cutting across the track after an earlier incident. Just want to forget this week and move on to Road Atlanta/Nurburgring.

Nurburgring times to aim for are 1:40's or lower

• Informative
Reactions: Robert Plumley