AOR Formula Renault 2.0 Championship S5 - Round 9: Montreal | ApexOnlineRacing.com

AOR Formula Renault 2.0 Championship S5 - Round 9: Montreal

Tomspeedx30

Pro Karter
Feb 5, 2017
First Iracing AOR race for me. I was more used to F1 2016 race in AOR :) and the level of all of you guys is pretty impressive to be honest

Q : First lap wasn't that good in the 1:35 and I knew I could be in the 1:34. Unfortunately I made a small mistake and went to the grass a bit which invalidated my lap and I was improving so I had to start quite far back.

Feature Race : Cautious start. Managed to keep it clean and not involved in incidents. A few good battles and I was struggling to overtake. Pace was not too bad for me and I managed to pass @StevieSQ in the last minutes of the race :p for P20 and I was quite happy to make the move stick and even more happier when I realise it was a point paying position later only :lol::lol:

Sprint Race : Starting P3. I thought that starting at the front of the grid would make me avoid any big pile up if there's one. Very cautious through the first corners. Unfortunately, there's a crash in front and I couldn't avoid @StevieSQ who was slowing down and I hit him quite hard which broke my front and right left suspensions and I also damaged Stevie's suspension ( sorry for that :unsure: ). tried to bring the car back to the pits. Too much damage to continue. Really disappointed as points were possible for this race too.

Special credits to the commentators of the live streaming for pronouncing my name right during the whole event:lol::lol:

Stevie

Former Super Mod
Premium Member
Aug 26, 2014
Sprint Race : Starting P3. I thought that starting at the front of the grid would make me avoid any big pile up if there's one. Very cautious through the first corners. Unfortunately, there's a crash in front and I couldn't avoid @StevieSQ who was slowing down and I hit him quite hard which broke my front and right left suspensions and I also damaged Stevie's suspension ( sorry for that :unsure: ). tried to bring the car back to the pits. Too much damage to continue. Really disappointed as points were possible for this race too.
Are you sure it was me? I didn't actually have contact with anyone?

Tomspeedx30

Pro Karter
Feb 5, 2017
Are you sure it was me? I didn't actually have contact with anyone?
Yep I hit you at the back I saw it in the replay as I saved it. I was right behind you when It happened .That's what broke my suspension and maybe yours too I guess. Maybe I'm going to post my POV of the incident on youtube.

Stevie

Former Super Mod
Premium Member
Aug 26, 2014
Yep I hit you at the back I saw it in the replay as I saved it. I was right behind you when It happened .That's what broke my suspension and maybe yours too I guess. Maybe I'm going to post my POV of the incident on youtube.
Curious, my car was fine mate. :confused:

Tomspeedx30

Pro Karter
Feb 5, 2017
Curious, my car was fine mate. :confused:
Cool then :lol: I thought you retired from the race because of that :rolleyes:
[DOUBLEPOST=1494667660][/DOUBLEPOST]By the way, if anyone has the replay of the feature race, I'd be interested to have it as I didn't save it :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Thanks in advance :)

Stevie

Former Super Mod
Premium Member
Aug 26, 2014
Feature race:
Pace and consistency wise, it's the best I was going to manage considering my hatred of this track. I didn't spin, or have any large slides where I expected to. Instead I just got on with it, and ran my race as well as I could. Managed to jump a few through the pits. It was looking good for a double points finish for the team. However, Waldo did a thing and picked up damage. And then while passing me, Laurens spun at the hairpin and I had nowhere to go, which ruined my front wing. Ran 4 seconds. 4 SECONDS! a lap slower because of that and I fell out of the points. I was fuming, not going to lie. I had points taken away through somebody else's mistake. Alright, it wasn't for a win, or even a top 10. But I was getting the most out of what I could achieve there last night.

Sprint race:
The only upside to the incident with Laurens is that it put Team AOR Podcast on the front row. I told Waldo before the race that if he had a good start, I wouldn't fight him and we'd work together. Turns out, he didn't have a good start. As soon as the lights went out, I realised I had the better launch, I told him that I was going for it.

Got passed him round turn 1, and held him off through 2. Made a bit of an error into three. In the feature on lap 1, I had many cars around me, and reacted to them. This time I led and I just braked a bit late so took to the grass. Got a slow-down of 1.7 seconds, I didn't lift off too much I don't think.

Then uhh... Then I had a heart attack. And I cleared my slowdown. That's it.

Reactions: Christian Koch

Hoff

FR2.0 S4 Pre-Season Sprint Race Winner
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2014
Very disappointing night for me all things considered, especially as I was able to post some decent times (for me) in practice.

Qualifying:

After getting deep into the 1:33's in practice a 1:40 got to me but I am used to not being able to produce one lap pace on demand. Started 18th with some other fast guys quite close who seemed to suffer the same poor qualifying as myself.

Feature:

Another good start for me, reacting well to the lights and making a few of spots through passing and inheriting them with others mistakes. Found myself racing @Lorrentz and fighting hard for the position. I was pleased with this as he is and has been forever, a lot faster than me but I seemed to be his equal and more behind him. We went side by side for a few corners cleanly and fairly with some hard defending. Managed to get a good run out of the final chicane and then broke at my normal spot in T1 even though I was offline as I was confident I could get it slowed down. This lead me to locking the rear and collecting him on the way around which I was very upset with myself about. Apologies again LDK. Terminal Damage for me.

Sprint:

Started dead last in 25th but somehow found myself in 11th after 2 laps. I had to check the black box twice to see that was correct but it was and I pushed on with others making mistakes around me. Managed to get to 8th I believe and on the final lap smashed into the wall at the 2nd last chicane after spinning and finished 11th.

Real shame for me as with some big names and some mid pack drivers not racing I had a chance to have a good evening of it but faltered through my own lack of talent.

Starting to make some gains in my pace as I did in Season 4 so can't wait to transfer this to season 6 and put some more practice in. I am finding that the smooth 'doesn't feel fast' approach is really starting to reward me with the odd lap time but the consistency and transferring this when it matters just isn't there at the moment.

Just read this back.... f*** me I am boring.

Oh and of course, you are the man @Synergi

Last edited:
Reactions: Tekesh and Lorrentz

McPhilen

iRacing Coordinator
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014
First of all, huge congratulations to @Synergi for finally getting the win. It's taken a while, but it is fully deserved. Also, congrats to @Osterkamp for taking another win in the sprint!

Qualy:

Really, really happy with my lap. Pretty much maximised everything I could do and ended up 5th, where I was really thinking that perhaps just about in the top 10 would be where I was. I had no real confidence in the car, but once the fuel was out it felt really quite good.

Race 1:

All was pretty good. I expected to drop back at the start which I did. I decided not to fight and just try to follow, which seemed to be working quite well until I made a mistake and dropped a couple of positions. Decided to pit quite early as I thought I might have wing damage and then I was surprised once it all unfolded I was in 5th. Rene had fallen back with an unfortunate issue, @Patrick Kessler had fallen back too, and then @Christian Koch came out of the pits alongside me. Not sure what happened but I knew fighting wouldn't be a good idea. Tried to follow as long as I could which seemed to work and then found myself in 5th again. I decided that that was too good for me so I decided to hit the wall of champions again, and ended up having to settle for 14th. It was almost 15th, but I had a fun quick exchange with @Erkka Lindstrom on the final lap, after he passed me on the back straight, he went deep and I was able to cut back under to get the 14th (just).

Race 2:

It was quite fun following it from the cameras, as there were quite a few battles. Would have loved to be a part of it, had a really good shot but obviously what happened, happened. Really unfortunate issue from @The Genius which couldn't have happened at a worse place really. Those things happen, as annoying as they are to all those involved, but with experience, and knowledge of the track, it all starts to improve.

Anyway, that's Montreal. Really awful results for me on a track I love, but that seems to always be the case. Onto Brands where I usually struggle and I don't particularly enjoy either. Hoping for the best.

Christian Koch

AOR iRacing 2-time Formula Renault 2.0 Champion
Apr 5, 2016
@McPhilen @FisiFan91 is it possible to add a new standings sheet where we see each driver's points of each race? Next to positional ranking i think that might be a good addition ;)

Christian Koch

AOR iRacing 2-time Formula Renault 2.0 Champion
Apr 5, 2016
Thats the point, it would be good to have it in one overview, imho ;)

So you could easily identify the standings including dropweeks with just having a look instead calculating it manually.

Gunar Nijenhuis

F1 1st Driver
Sep 2, 2015

So you could easily identify the standings including dropweeks with just having a look instead calculating it manually.
Yeah would be a lot better because it's super confusing now. I usually don't even bother looking at the standings because they don't make sense untill the season is over

• Agree
Reactions: Kez

FisiFan91

AOR Founder (on hiatus)
Staff member
AOR Admin
Jan 12, 2014

You mean have an overview like it is now, just with it showing points for each race instead of finishing positions?

Gunar Nijenhuis

F1 1st Driver
Sep 2, 2015
Maybe just an extra column with total points scored that week

Edit: although you'd then still have to manually calculate drop weeks.
Ideal situation would be if there was an extra standings sheet where drop weeks would've already been applied.
Or another option would be to limit number of raceweek starts to 10 maximum per driver so that all points count and you would just have 2 DNS's

Last edited: