PC - AOR GT3 S11 - PC Tier 3 - ROUND 2 - Silverstone GP | ApexOnlineRacing.com

PC AOR GT3 S11 - PC Tier 3 - ROUND 2 - Silverstone GP

• ANNOUNCEMENT: Sign-ups are OPEN for Season 19 of the AOR Hype Energy F1 Leagues on F1 2019!
    They are closing on 29th February, so be quick! Head to the League Forums for more information.

poisike78

AOR PCars PC Ginetta GT5 S1 T2 Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Firstly, congrats to @venquessa and @Captain Slow ! Really great drive from both of You. @Captain Slow really surprised me in quali and I had to go out for a second try because of You. I guess You should consider changing Your name. :)

Secondly, I feel sorry for the guys who had problems. Really unfortunate incident that started from a small mistake or game freeze problems?

There is not much to say about my own race. I started from 2nd but @Captain Slow went wide in T3 I think and I saw the opportunity and took it. After that it was a quite uneventful race for me.
I know some of you guys think that I shouldn't be here and I may even somewhat agree with that. Problem is that the space in t2 is limited and we need to draw the line somewhere. At the moment I know of at least 3 people who would like to be moved to T2 and about 2 who should be moved there. But T2 is already full, so not much we can do about that.

On a positive note, I'm sure I will fail really bad at Nurburg combined and someone else can take the win.

Thanks for hosting @Zachflange ! What do you guys think? Does it matter who is hosting the lobby or not? From what I have seen, it really doesn't, but I want to know your opinions.

• Winner
Reactions: Blunboi and LiboCZ

mikeself

GP2 Reserve Driver
May 6, 2018
Thanks for hosting @Zachflange ! What do you guys think? Does it matter who is hosting the lobby or not? From what I have seen, it really doesn't, but I want to know your opinions.
:) it was much better for me this time... about the lobby stability and connection. that's for sure. Finally, no one was lagging for me.

Xeonski

Assetto Corsa Coordinator
Staff member
AC Coordinator
May 16, 2018
Firstly, congrats to @venquessa and @Captain Slow ! Really great drive from both of You. @Captain Slow really surprised me in quali and I had to go out for a second try because of You. I guess You should consider changing Your name. :)

Secondly, I feel sorry for the guys who had problems. Really unfortunate incident that started from a small mistake or game freeze problems?

There is not much to say about my own race. I started from 2nd but @Captain Slow went wide in T3 I think and I saw the opportunity and took it. After that it was a quite uneventful race for me.
I know some of you guys think that I shouldn't be here and I may even somewhat agree with that. Problem is that the space in t2 is limited and we need to draw the line somewhere. At the moment I know of at least 3 people who would like to be moved to T2 and about 2 who should be moved there. But T2 is already full, so not much we can do about that.

On a positive note, I'm sure I will fail really bad at Nurburg combined and someone else can take the win.

I didn't see a major change, still a bit of stutter here and there and this scary lambo in the formation lap but except of that i didn't even see that we have changed the lobby host

LiboCZ

Staff member
AC Coordinator
Jul 25, 2016
With my new combo I am not expecting any FPS problems anymore and yesterday no stutters for me. Only for some reason @Duip was lagging for me but as confirmed on discord, not for others and luckily we did not raced side by side, so no contact due to lag.

Zachflange

Pro Karter
Apr 17, 2016
In the Lobby Duip had the worst connection to me, tho i didnt meet with him on track so i dont know if he was lagging for me
for my part, i can host the future races to unburdon poisike a little bit ;)

my race was horrible, the car felt completely different to my practise and i was 2secs slower at least all the time -.-
the time of 2:01:3 i did in race conditions in training where so promising :cry:
sry @poisike78, i left you alone in the front this time ;)

• Friendly
Reactions: poisike78

krop

Staff member
AC Coordinator
Jul 25, 2018
I had constant stuttering during the race which wasn't present during the practice race :( wasn't pleasant but I'm okay with Zach hosting because finding the right host will probably take much longer than the season itself.

ZeFau

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Jun 2, 2018
No lag issues here. Maybe for optimal results in peer to peer sessions you need a host that has a good ping towards everyone or something along those lines. Maybe it's also not that important, but rather relying on each individuals pings. So if you have someone with very bad latency then it gets choppy for everyone? But I'm not an IT expert so I dunno... this round was fine for me, most sessions with Poisike as host were fine as well.

Race itself was a mess. Poor quali, poor start, then the Wellington Straight incident costing me lots of repair time in the pits, then fighting my way back up the order. In doing so overcooking the tires to the point where the car was constantly trying to kill me. Boy it was exhausting. Still kind of fun, a sort of clenched-teeth-goddammit fun.

A bit sad because i had the pace to be much further up. Cheers to the podium and everyone else fighting the odds as well. :)

D.Brezancic

F1 Champion
Mar 6, 2017
After last night disaster nothing much to add to my first post...
Qualy-first lap was with constant small stutter/freeze than other laps were surprisingly good, I had even god car behavior and did a god qual time.
Race, started well in formation lap, then at first lap disaster stroke: after avoiding someone's lambo, I got a little stutter going in the middle of that straight and then game froze for a sec or little more or little less, but quite enough to lost control-when I got the control of the car I saw McLaren partly in front of my right side sliding....nothing I can do more about that. Very disappointing, cause I could have a good race. Even more sadly, it involves many other drivers.
Trying to drive to the box but car was so heavily damaged so I decided to retire. After that I tried to monitor the race, choose a few cars to see and than pc froze totally. End of nightmare.

poisike78

Feb 28, 2018
I had constant stuttering during the race which wasn't present during the practice race :( wasn't pleasant but I'm okay with Zach hosting because finding the right host will probably take much longer than the season itself.
Not exactly sure which practice race You are talking about, but I believe all of them were with less then 18 cars on track because we split the lobby. If that.s the case, then that's Your problem, Your PC hardware (probably CPU) can't keep up with so many cars on track. I have the same problem, it has nothing to do with who is the host. For me it actually depends where I start, if I start at front, there are no other cars on my screen and the game runs perfectly smooth at 90fps. At about half race, I start to catch some cars and this causes the frame rate to drop. When I catch a bunch of cars, it gets really bad sometimes. I usually pit then to get out of it and after I exit pit into clean air, everything is fine again.
So You starting from further back, meant You had lots of cars around you, so you had problems from the beginning. Matches everything I have seen until now. I don't think it has anything to do with the host.

No lag issues here. Maybe for optimal results in peer to peer sessions you need a host that has a good ping towards everyone or something along those lines. Maybe it's also not that important, but rather relying on each individuals pings. So if you have someone with very bad latency then it gets choppy for everyone?
As I understand it, lag and stuttering are two totally different things and are caused by different things. I don't see how high ping to host could cause stuttering, it can cause lag, you will see hosts car lagging, everyone else will still look ok to you. But the same happens with everyone who has high ping to you, so there is no way host matters here.
I actually suspected that someone with a bad performance issue (stuttering) may cause problems for everyone around him, but unfortunately it's really hard to test that and as I explained above, my stuttering seems to only be there if I run close to a lot of cars. I can't think of a way to test if it's just because my CPU needs to calculate too many things because there are so many cars around me or it's because one of these cars has problems with PC performance. From what I have experienced and heard from others who have better CPU's then me, it doesn't look like that's the case.

compared to the first race in Portugal of course ;) yesterday's lobby was perfect.
Yeah, but the host was the same :D Both of our races have been hosted by @Zachflange Now tell me what was different this time? Did You maybe drive alone most of the race?

I stopped hosting races because I was afraid my stutters may affect other people in the lobby. But from what I have seen so far, I see no evidence that this is the case. Same people who accused me that me hosting is the problem, are still having problems. A few people get still disconnected every race (interestingly they are almost all from UK) so changing the host has not changed anything. And this is based on 2 league races and about 7 practice races.

mikeself

GP2 Reserve Driver
May 6, 2018
Not exactly sure which practice race You are talking about, but I believe all of them were with less then 18 cars on track because we split the lobby. If that.s the case, then that's Your problem, Your PC hardware (probably CPU) can't keep up with so many cars on track. I have the same problem, it has nothing to do with who is the host. For me it actually depends where I start, if I start at front, there are no other cars on my screen and the game runs perfectly smooth at 90fps. At about half race, I start to catch some cars and this causes the frame rate to drop. When I catch a bunch of cars, it gets really bad sometimes. I usually pit then to get out of it and after I exit pit into clean air, everything is fine again.
So You starting from further back, meant You had lots of cars around you, so you had problems from the beginning. Matches everything I have seen until now. I don't think it has anything to do with the host.

As I understand it, lag and stuttering are two totally different things and are caused by different things. I don't see how high ping to host could cause stuttering, it can cause lag, you will see hosts car lagging, everyone else will still look ok to you. But the same happens with everyone who has high ping to you, so there is no way host matters here.
I actually suspected that someone with a bad performance issue (stuttering) may cause problems for everyone around him, but unfortunately it's really hard to test that and as I explained above, my stuttering seems to only be there if I run close to a lot of cars. I can't think of a way to test if it's just because my CPU needs to calculate too many things because there are so many cars around me or it's because one of these cars has problems with PC performance. From what I have experienced and heard from others who have better CPU's then me, it doesn't look like that's the case.

Yeah, but the host was the same :D Both of our races have been hosted by @Zachflange Now tell me what was different this time? Did You maybe drive alone most of the race?

I stopped hosting races because I was afraid my stutters may affect other people in the lobby. But from what I have seen so far, I see no evidence that this is the case. Same people who accused me that me hosting is the problem, are still having problems. A few people get still disconnected every race (interestingly they are almost all from UK) so changing the host has not changed anything. And this is based on 2 league races and about 7 practice races.
I know mate :) I really can't explain why it was better this time... And I was still racing someone, well I don't think it's about the be alone on the track. No idea really. Maybe the track itself? Maybe the game has just better optimalisation for the well-known tracks.

Deerladog

Staff member
AC Coordinator
Premium Member
AOR Commentator
Aug 24, 2017
No performance issues for me, lag or stuttering. But then again I never had issues with @poisike78 as host. Correct me if I'm wrong, but @Zachflange is German, so that's a fairly central location if people are having ping issues, then its fair on everyone. @poisike78 being from Estonia would probably result in a higher than average ping for other drivers, but I still aren't convinced it would cause issues.

poisike78

Feb 28, 2018
No performance issues for me, lag or stuttering. But then again I never had issues with @poisike78 as host. Correct me if I'm wrong, but @Zachflange is German, so that's a fairly central location if people are having ping issues, then its fair on everyone. @poisike78 being from Estonia would probably result in a higher than average ping for other drivers, but I still aren't convinced it would cause issues.
If You create the lobby from within the game (as we do), it's P2P. That means every client talks to every other client directly (not through host), so who started the lobby doesn't matter at all.

Xeonski

Staff member
AC Coordinator
May 16, 2018
If You create the lobby from within the game (as we do), it's P2P. That means every client talks to every other client directly (not through host), so who started the lobby doesn't matter at all.
And do we know if the performance is better with a dedicated server ? And do we know how much it cost to use one ?

Maybe, (and i said maybe) if the performance is clearly better, a paid signup would help the stability but maybe it will reject the new players.

krop

Staff member
AC Coordinator
Jul 25, 2018
I've got an overclocked 4690k so that shouldn't be a problem really. The stuttering was constant even though my framerate was above 100 all the time no matter how many cars were present on screen, it presented itself as hitches throughout the race. I had no such problem on Algarve and various practice races that were hosted, even the public ones which were 25+ car grids.

Paid servers are about 12 euros a month for a 32-slot one and honestly I'd gladly pay the monthly fee because split into 20+ people that's a small price to pay really. And it also resolves another problem that could occur - wonky host migration. I've actually been keeping up a TS3 server for almost 8 years now and paying the annual fee by myself :p

@poisike78 it's not that simple. Back in the day I used to play Gears of War on PC and the so-called "host power" was insane because everything was synced by the host's PC so as a host you didn't have to lead your shots to land them - super important with the Longshot. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case with PC2 as well - and I think you can sort of see this in action when two cars collide - their motion is not smooth, but rather jaggy and stuttery (just watch the replay of yesterdays crash) :p The host power was also evident in COD:MW2 and a couple of other fast-paced P2P games. Or just watch any Dark Souls PVP video.

Coming from Q3, COD4 and CS it's honestly unthinkable to me that a large-scale competitive multiplayer game in 2018 uses P2P connection as the baseline.

Marvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
iRacing Coordinator
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Aug 6, 2016
And do we know if the performance is better with a dedicated server ? And do we know how much it cost to use one ?

Maybe, (and i said maybe) if the performance is clearly better, a paid signup would help the stability but maybe it will reject the new players.
We tried dedicated servers quite a few times and every time it had more problems than a p2p lobby. Got to admit tho that we haven't tried dedicated servers in a while, so maybe time to test it out again.

Also we're not going to ask people to pay for this league.

Captain Slow

AOR PC GT3 S11 Tier 3 Champion
Apr 4, 2018
For me the lobby was smooth throughout the qualy and race, no problems like last time around. Hard to tell what makes the difference.

Pirate

Formula 3 Reserve Driver
Dec 7, 2017
Round 1 was without any problems at all for me, this time I actually had a few lags here and there later in the race.

poisike78

Feb 28, 2018
I've got an overclocked 4690k so that shouldn't be a problem really.
I have a 7600K clocked at 5GHz and I'm 100% convinced that my CPU is not keeping up when there are a lot of cars around me. At stock clocks 4690k is about 12% weaker then 7600K (according to internet).

PCars2 is really heavy on CPU, it has been proved by countless GPU benchmarks.

@poisike78 it's not that simple. Back in the day I used to play Gears of War on PC and the so-called "host power" was insane because everything was synced by the host's PC so as a host you didn't have to lead your shots to land them - super important with the Longshot. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case with PC2 as well - and I think you can sort of see this in action when two cars collide - their motion is not smooth, but rather jaggy and stuttery (just watch the replay of yesterdays crash) :p The host power was also evident in COD:MW2 and a couple of other fast-paced P2P games. Or just watch any Dark Souls PVP video.

Coming from Q3, COD4 and CS it's honestly unthinkable to me that a large-scale competitive multiplayer game in 2018 uses P2P connection as the baseline.
I'm never been a real gamer, so I don't know anything about the games You mentioned and what "host power" actually means. But until now, I haven't seen any evidence that the host matters in PCars2 in any way.

Just one example:
For me the lobby was smooth throughout the qualy and race, no problems like last time around. Hard to tell what makes the difference.
and
Round 1 was without any problems at all for me, this time I actually had a few lags here and there later in the race.
Host was the same but the experience was totally reverse.