AOR SUPER GT S1 ELITE ROUND 2: AUTODROMO NAZIONALE DI MONZA [11/06/18 8PM UK TIME] | ApexOnlineRacing.com

AOR SUPER GT S1 ELITE ROUND 2: AUTODROMO NAZIONALE DI MONZA [11/06/18 8PM UK TIME]

Shellay

Formula 3 Test Driver
Apr 2, 2017
Hugely enjoyable race really. Had a massive battle throughout with @LJM_Stevo whereby we both kept managing to screw up and find ourselves right next to eachother on several occasions.

The straight line speed of the Lexus was a huge surprise, my little Honda had nothing to answer for it.

Got a bit tasty at the end as @RacingGamer55 and @West408 lost time battling and it turned into a 5 way scrap for back end points. Was a super fun part of the race and we all kept it really clean.

Myself and West had such a tense run to the line on the very last lap, it's a shame that he had the penalty really otherwise that would have been some ending to an hour long race.

Grats @jamie-995 you're an alien.

Reactions: jamie-995

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Not going to lie extremely disappointing and frustrating result for me, I genuinely had the pace to finish in the top 10 but I had a phase where I was a bit too inconsistent and then had several costly errors.

Qualy was pretty much a disaster I never been a good qualifier and today reaffirmed that I just couldn't hook up all 3 sectors and as a result was nearly a second of my optimal I don't know where a 1:37.9 would have put me but I know for a fact it wouldn't have been last. :p
(and just to show I'm not bullshitting I took a screenshot of my optimal before the end of qualy)
Gran Turismo™SPORT_20180611201428.jpg

Due to starting at the back I decided to be cautious and hope for a bit of carnage in front of me in the opening laps and this was the wrong thing to do, as everyone was well behaved?, it meant that I lost a bit of time to the midfield and my chance of points were slipping away.

After I made my 1st stop I came out just behind @alexukr for 13th and had @CallumS44 just behind me however a couple laps later I picked up a minor pen (about 2 seconds) and decided to ease off to reduce my pen and let Callum past as he got really close heading down to T4, I was then pretty much keeping up with them for the next few laps however Callum made a minor mistake at parabolica which allowed me to get ahead, however with the straight line speed advantage everyone had over the Honda, he pretty much caught me up well before T1 and easily repassed me. :rolleyes:

Then Alex ahead made a minor mistake exiting T1 and he was back up to speed just ahead of me I could have tried a pass at T4 but decided just to tuck in behind, Alex did then make another minor error exiting T5 and I got past.

I tried to get back into a rhythm but then out of nowhere a couple laps later I lost grip on the exit of lesmo 1 and well into the inside wall slightly, Alex got past me on the exit of lesmo 2 as a result and @CianG-4 was then close behind, and a lap later I once again made another error at lesmo 1 this time I ran a bit wide and Cian went up the inside at lesmo 2 then another lap later I then semi spun on the exit of lesmo 2 costing me another 5 seconds.

After my last stop I came out a few seconds behind @CianG-4 in last and I started to reel him in, but then out of nowhere when I broke to slow down for parabolica like normal, my car decided to veer left slightly put me into the grass and wide costing me 4 seconds to him, I was now 6 seconds behind and was catching him slightly but the time was running out, then suddenly out of nowhere a few laps before the end Cian was only a second ahead in S2 (I assumed you made an error somewhere).
I closed that gap for the rest of the lap and was very close to him on the run down to T1 he made a slight error and drove over the kerbs at T2 giving him a penalty and a poor exit I was able to pull alongside on the inside for T4 I broke like normal and Cian broke a bit later again going a bit wide as a result and I was able to pass him on the exit of T5.

I started to pull away and had a gap of about 2.5 seconds over him a lap to go but I nearly threw away the position as I slightly lost the car on the exit of T5 this allowed Cian to get within a second of me heading into the lesmos but I didn't put a foot wrong for the rest of the lap and managed to avoid finishing last. (whoopdefuckingdoo)

When I looked at the final results I knew I missed an opportunity to score points tonight I was only 25 seconds of 10th and I lost a good chuck of that in errors alone, throw in the inconsistency and thats where my chances of points disappeared though off course I wasn't the only one to have errors & issues during the race, but I can take a couple of positives I guess.
When I checked the fastest laps of everyone else my fellow Honda racer @Shellay who finished 8th was only a tenth faster then me, so I had legitimate midfield pace and I also finished ahead of someone, but apart from that I'll just have to move on and hope for better next week.

View attachment 50292

For anyone interested, here are the standings and results.
Would have given your table of results a 'like' Browneskiii, but noticed you put Cian finishing ahead of me tonight. o_O
Gran Turismo™SPORT_20180611211918.jpg

(yes I am that petty over 14th place :p)

The straight line speed of the Lexus was a huge surprise, my little Honda had nothing to answer for it.
Well I did have a look at this after the race as well, the Lexus and Nissan both had about 2mph advantage on the Honda at the start finish straight, (I was barely able to reach 181mph before braking saw Lexus drivers able to reach 183, Nissan 182) obviously that isn't much but add up the other straights on the track and its probably is pretty costly, we were likely giving away at least a few tenths alone over a lap in straight line speed I would think.

Last edited:

Browneskiii

Slowest GT3 Champion Ever
Premium Member
Nov 24, 2014
Sorry! I kinda guessed after 12th place, as my recording stopped midway through the final lap and didn't restart so I didn't get the final results.

Should have known you were further up though, as I came out of the pits just behind you for a lap.

I will say that personally think the fuel should be set to 60 or 70 to begin with. With 50, we're forced into 2 stopping minimum. Having that extra little bit of fuel will have a range between 1 and 3 stops. Obviously won't be changed for this season, but definitely something to think about for next.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Sorry! I kinda guessed after 12th place, as my recording stopped midway through the final lap and didn't restart so I didn't get the final results.

Should have known you were further up though, as I came out of the pits just behind you for a lap.

I will say that personally think the fuel should be set to 60 or 70 to begin with. With 50, we're forced into 2 stopping minimum. Having that extra little bit of fuel will have a range between 1 and 3 stops. Obviously won't be changed for this season, but definitely something to think about for next.
No worries Browneskiii, with the fuel well this is the first season so its a learning experience for everyone involved. I mean I've already got a few ideas about changes for season 2.

But the 2 major things that I think need looking into for season 2 is fuel usage, tyre choice and tyre wear.

I can pretty much guarantee everyone is currently doing exactly the same thing in races.

ie: Mix 1 (providing you don't accidently under fuel during a stop) & Supersofts every stop (providing you don't choose the wrong tyre)

The only slight variation has been a couple of people 3 stopping instead of the majority 2, in the first 2 races.

While it would be interesting to have both fuel and tyre wear set to x10 for example, it would probably turn races into a farce. :hilarious: (though It would be good to find a balance if possible with higher fuel and tyre wear)

Reactions: ItzFrisky_CJ

Delaney

F1 Senna Equivalent
Staff member
GT Coordinator
Mar 12, 2016
No worries Browneskiii, with the fuel well this is the first season so its a learning experience for everyone involved. I mean I've already got a few ideas about changes for season 2.

But the 2 major things that I think need looking into for season 2 is fuel usage, tyre choice and tyre wear.

I can pretty much guarantee everyone is currently doing exactly the same thing in races.

ie: Mix 1 (providing you don't accidently under fuel during a stop) & Supersofts every stop (providing you don't choose the wrong tyre)

The only slight variation has been a couple of people 3 stopping instead of the majority 2, in the first 2 races.

While it would be interesting to have both fuel and tyre wear set to x10 for example, it would probably turn races into a farce. :hilarious: (though It would be good to find a balance if possible with higher fuel and tyre wear)
Those are interesting suggestions, can I maybe persuade You to air it into the Common General tread, to give all an opportunity to participate in the discussions.

Browneskiii

Premium Member
Nov 24, 2014
Those are interesting suggestions, can I maybe persuade You to air it into the Common General tread, to give all an opportunity to participate in the discussions.
I'm assuming after the season ends there will be a thread for suggestions?

I think the best way to get a mix up of strategies is to set fuel at however many stops we want, so x2 is good, and then have tyre wear to be one above it. Meaning you can do a three stop all on supers, or maybe you can do a two stop on a slower tyre and possibly even a one stop if the fuel isn't too limited.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
I'm assuming after the season ends there will be a thread for suggestions?

I think the best way to get a mix up of strategies is to set fuel at however many stops we want, so x2 is good, and then have tyre wear to be one above it. Meaning you can do a three stop all on supers, or maybe you can do a two stop on a slower tyre and possibly even a one stop if the fuel isn't too limited.
Or we start of with a full tank of fuel but use x5 for fuel consumption, and if you want to make a 1 stop you could alternatively put your engine mode to mix 6 and make it that way. ;)

Though seriously I do think there needs to be some deterrent against using the richest mix all the time, as fuel management is pretty much non-existent right now.

Browneskiii

Premium Member
Nov 24, 2014
The problem is that pit stops are so short that you don't gain anything by staying out. Going on mix 1 with the softest tyre will almost always be the quickest way. Unless you need to save maybe 1 or 2 laps of fuel, then it might be quicker on mode 2 or even short shifting.

jamie-995

AOR PS4 RallyCross S1 Champion
Jan 4, 2016
Qualifying 2nd: Similar story to last week, a decent lap but not quite good enough & @Browneskiii pips me to pole by less than a tenth again.

Race 1st: Good start not losing any positions & was able to take advantage of a small mistake by Browneskiii to take the lead & build up a lead of around 3 seconds once everyone completed their first stops. Managed to build the gap further to around 6 seconds for the second stops & was feeling pretty comfortable at that point, gap did come down to 4 seconds but I saw that @Solenx86 had a penalty so wasn't too concerned & once he served it I could pretty much just cruise home.

Again not the most exciting race in terms of overtaking at the front, but still delighted to secure back to back victories, well done to @Solenx86 & @Browneskiii for finishing on the podium again.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
The problem is that pit stops are so short that you don't gain anything by staying out. Going on mix 1 with the softest tyre will almost always be the quickest way. Unless you need to save maybe 1 or 2 laps of fuel, then it might be quicker on mode 2 or even short shifting.
I tried out yesterday a couple different ranges of higher tyre wear and fuel consumption around Monza and the results were a bit surprising.
And I can honestly say right now that only bumping up fuel or tyre wear to x3 or x4 even won't change things to much, if your looking to make it so Supersoft isn't always the race tyre of choice you need to look around the x6 range and with fuel about x8 that should be the mark to ensure that proper fuel management becomes a thing as well.

I'm sure the co-ords and most of the drivers will think these are outrageous numbers to put forward for an hour race, but doing something like this will guarantee the whole field will be on a mix of different strategies tyres and fuel modes wise.
Also to maybe make things even more interesting you have to start on the tyre compound you selected for qualy so if you pick supersofts (despite x6 wear for example), your not allowed to change compound to a different tyre just before the end of qualy.

As for the point of pitstops being to short Browneskiii, having to fill your car completely and get a fresh set of boots does take at least over 20secs total and it the pitlane is long upto as much as 30 seconds, currently most drivers have never had to even get close to filling the tank properly, hence why we have short pit stop times.

LJM_Stevo

Pro Karter
May 16, 2018
Epic fight at the end by @West408 @RacingGamer55 @LJM_Stevo @callumjspencer
I was gutted when I made that error at lesmo because that cost me points which wasn’t even a thought in my mind when the race started. I got lucky that you guys ahead were fighting as it helped me catch up big time. I know 10th would have been my lowest position if I never spun as
@RacingGamer55 (I assume) was fuel saving as I was catching a lot after my error.

RacingGamer55

Semi-Pro Karter
May 18, 2018
I was gutted when I made that error at lesmo because that cost me points which wasn’t even a thought in my mind when the race started. I got lucky that you guys ahead were fighting as it helped me catch up big time. I know 10th would have been my lowest position if I never spun as
@RacingGamer55 (I assume) was fuel saving as I was catching a lot after my error.
Yeah I had nothing left, no tyres no fuel as I hadn’t had time during the week to figure out a strategy. I lagged out at 55:25, on my end I got rammed hard from behind but in this replay there was no contact at all. Still good racing from everyone.

LJM_Stevo

Pro Karter
May 16, 2018
Yeah I had nothing left, no tyres no fuel as I hadn’t had time during the week to figure out a strategy. I lagged out at 55:25, on my end I got rammed hard from behind but in this replay there was no contact at all. Still good racing from everyone.
I saw you were lagging a lot during the whole race and when that happened at turn 1 i knew I hadn’t done anything wrong as I braked earlier than normal due to the scrap we were all having and didn’t want to cause an incident.

HRacingGreen

2 Time GT Sport League Champion
Staff member
GT Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 30, 2015
We'll consider these ideas for the next season, everything is up for discussion atm, so I'll look into strategy changes. That said, we got 10/11 laps from half a tank at Monza on 2x fuel, 8x and you're getting what, 2 laps??maybe a bit excessive but I see your point.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
We'll consider these ideas for the next season, everything is up for discussion atm, so I'll look into strategy changes. That said, we got 10/11 laps from half a tank at Monza on 2x fuel, 8x and you're getting what, 2 laps??maybe a bit excessive but I see your point.
Well just to let you know x10 fuel consumption worked out to 4 laps in mix 1 (23% a lap) which yeah is a bit ridiculous for a hour race hence why probably x7/8 is actually a good balance, also worth remembering we are at full throttle at Monza for probably more time percentage wise then any other track.

Reactions: CallumS44