XB1 AOR Touring Car S2 - Main Thread

willyblackhamer

Project CARS Coordinator
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Jul 24, 2018

AOR Project CARS Touring Car Leagues - Season 2
XB1 Tier 1 Main Thread

This is the main thread for theXB1 Touring Car Tier1 League - here you can chat about anything with your fellow league drivers!

General Information:
Race Day: Wednesday
● Event starts: 8:00pm (UK time)

League Rules
League Information
Race Calendar
Results & Standings.

● League Coordinator: @willyblackhamer
● Race Host: @willyblackhamer
● Back-up Host:TBA

Drivers and Teams:

Last edited:

Shnoo80

Formula 3 Reserve Driver
Aug 8, 2019
Hi guys,

This is gonna be my first AOR season. I am very fresh to online racing, I did only career before. So my goal for this season is to stay out of trouble and check how my pace looks like in comparison to veteran online drivers :)

Anyway, I have my first question. On Long Beach circuit, in solo mode, AI don't use whole track width at the end of start/finish straight, before first corner. They don't cross white line and use pit exit section.
In rules, there is a statement, that we can't pass track limits, but in the videos of previous aor races I see that driver use this pit exit part to have better position into T1. And race director doesn't say a word when I pass the white line, so I presume that it is completely allowed to do this in our first race, right?

willyblackhamer

Project CARS Coordinator
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Jul 24, 2018
Hi guys,

This is gonna be my first AOR season. I am very fresh to online racing, I did only career before. So my goal for this season is to stay out of trouble and check how my pace looks like in comparison to veteran online drivers :)

Anyway, I have my first question. On Long Beach circuit, in solo mode, AI don't use whole track width at the end of start/finish straight, before first corner. They don't cross white line and use pit exit section.
In rules, there is a statement, that we can't pass track limits, but in the videos of previous aor races I see that driver use this pit exit part to have better position into T1. And race director doesn't say a word when I pass the white line, so I presume that it is completely allowed to do this in our first race, right?
You must make sure that you keep two wheels inside the white lines at all times bud. Rules:

1.4 Corner cutting/track extending

● Stay within the track boundaries with at least two tyres at all times. The track boundaries are defined by the white lines, not by the edge of the kerbs.
However, we acknowledge that the racing line at times extends across kerbs or astroturf. A driver briefing will be added to each round, informing of any deviations from the "white line rule."
Cutting corners, or extending the track, to gain an advantage is not allowed. Drivers found to be persistently breaking this rule will be penalised retrospectively.

Shnoo80

Formula 3 Reserve Driver
Aug 8, 2019
You must make sure that you keep two wheels inside the white lines at all times bud. Rules:

1.4 Corner cutting/track extending

● Stay within the track boundaries with at least two tyres at all times. The track boundaries are defined by the white lines, not by the edge of the kerbs.
However, we acknowledge that the racing line at times extends across kerbs or astroturf. A driver briefing will be added to each round, informing of any deviations from the "white line rule."
Cutting corners, or extending the track, to gain an advantage is not allowed. Drivers found to be persistently breaking this rule will be penalised retrospectively.
I know this rule, so how about this behaviour:

And below is how AI is driving here:

Reactions: willyblackhamer

willyblackhamer

Project CARS Coordinator
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Jul 24, 2018
I've searched back through the archives and found this driver briefing, we could assume that a similar stance would be taken with this TC filler league @Shnoo80

willyblackhamer

Project CARS Coordinator
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Jul 24, 2018

Round 3 - Long Beach
Driver briefing

Track Limits

For this track we didn't find any potential corner cutting which could not get recognized by the in-game track limit detection. Therefore all parts of the track the in-game track limits apply.

Pit Entry
The pit entry at Long Beach is very close after the exit of the final turn (hairpin) and requires hard braking at a section of track where cars not entering the pits will be on full throttle. It is strongly advised to try to ensure that any drivers alongside or immediately behind you are aware that you intend to enter the pits on that lap. This can be by either:
  • Informing the driver via voice chat.
    • With a short message such as: "P5 pitting this lap" (try not to assume that others will recognise your car from only your voice/name)
  • Flashing your lights a few times in the final section of track.
    • If you do flash your lights to inform of an intended pit entry, then you must make an attempt to enter the pits. Flashing your lights in most other situations is forbidden by the rules.
  • Keeping to the inside/right during and while exiting the final hairpin.
    • As this is not the normal racing line, this should help avoid the situation where a car behind on full throttle does not have time to react.

Pit Exit
The pit exit at Long Beach leads the exiting car directly onto a section of track which is commonly used as the normal racing line for cars on approach to turn 1 (picture below), and can easily lead to incidents if drivers on track are not fully aware that a car is exiting.
View attachment 71419

During the race; cars exiting the pits have priority over the pitlane, and it is the responsibility of the driver passing the pits to ensure there is no contact, it is strongly advised for all drivers to run with the 'track map' section of the HUD visible, and to check for people exiting the pits using that, before committing to taking the racing line which crosses onto the pit exit.

However, it is also advised that drivers exiting the pits should try to help ensure that others are aware they are, by either:
  • Informing the driver via voice chat.
    • With a short message such as: "P10 exiting pits" (try not to assume that others will recognise your car from only your voice/name)
  • Flashing your lights a few times after you have exited your box but before the pit limiter line.
    • As it is a night race, this is usually quite visible, despite the pit wall blocking direct view.

During qualifying; cars on track, and on a flying lap, have priority over cars exiting the pits to begin an outlap. To reduce the likelihood of issues, people planning to exit the pits are strongly advised to either:
  • First use the 'Monitor' section from the pits, to view the full track map, to ensure that there should be a significant section of free track to pull out into.
  • Exit the pits very slowly (or stop your car before the section that crosses the racing line), and check for cars approaching using the 'relative' display on the HUD, before continuing.

General information
As this is a night race, drivers are reminded of the rules covering the requirement for having working/active headlights at all times:

Noisy meat head

Semi-Pro Karter
Aug 16, 2019
Just out of interest, what kit you guys running? I have a fanatec csr wheel and pedals, and just wondered if there were any preferred/different wheels or even controller settings you guys are using?

IsaacS04

Formula 4 Test Driver
Jan 25, 2019
CEEB01E1-1362-4733-8F29-32AE8143EB8E.jpeg

G920 (the elastic bands on the shifter are so that the lever springs back to the neutral position, this allows me to run it like a sequential)
The seat was a bucket seat I found on gumtree for a tenner
All in all the rig has only cost me £210
£200 for the wheel
£10 for the seat
The wood I used to build the rig was free but would only cost about £20
Who said sim racing can’t be cheap?

Reactions: Noisy meat head

Noisy meat head

Semi-Pro Karter
Aug 16, 2019
View attachment 93441
G920 (the elastic bands on the shifter are so that the lever springs back to the neutral position, this allows me to run it like a sequential)
The seat was a bucket seat I found on gumtree for a tenner
All in all the rig has only cost me £210
£200 for the wheel
£10 for the seat
The wood I used to build the rig was free but would only cost about £20
Who said sim racing can’t be cheap?
Nice! I like

Shnoo80

Formula 3 Reserve Driver
Aug 8, 2019
I have a question about saving replays. How do you do this on your XB1s?
I can only save up to 2 minutes. I tried to use external drive, but it didn't change anything.
Anyone uses Twitch instead? I heard it can cause disconnections, is it true?

willyblackhamer

Project CARS Coordinator
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Jul 24, 2018
I have a question about saving replays. How do you do this on your XB1s?
I can only save up to 2 minutes. I tried to use external drive, but it didn't change anything.
Anyone uses Twitch instead? I heard it can cause disconnections, is it true?
You can save your replays after the race using pc2. note: the game only allows you to save up to around 1hr of replays ish so you have to keep deleting them to be able to save other races.
if you wanted to upload to youtube id say best work around would be to stream while watching your replay after the race and then transferring from twitch to youtube then.
You can also change your quality on your xbox captures to 720p and you will be able to rec up to 10 mins

Reactions: Shnoo80

willyblackhamer

Project CARS Coordinator
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Jul 24, 2018
Are we allowed to use auto clutch?
Assist Restrictions

We'll run with 'Authentic' Driving Assists, this means you will have the assists available that each car has in real life.

Racing line will be banned in the top tier of each platform. If your health or sight condition requires you to use the racing line, please contact the staff team.

IsaacS04

Formula 4 Test Driver
Jan 25, 2019
Sorry for a bit of sub par performance tonight, the walls had it in for me. I hope to bring it back for next Wednesday.