F1 off season, 2019 car launches & pre-season testing | ApexOnlineRacing.com

F1 off season, 2019 car launches & pre-season testing

Which team will top pre-season testing the most?

• Mercedes

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • Ferrari

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Red Bull

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Renault

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
With the season finished and it being the start of December I thought I would create this all in one thread, we now know the full official driver lineup for 2019:

So the top 3 in the F2 championship all got drives in F1, I don't know the last time this has happened or if its ever happened before.:unsure:

Anyway Stroll took the last seat available and inturn the worst secret in F1 history was confirmed by RPFI in the last couple days, the surprise drivers getting a drive for next season have to be Kubica and Albon, going back to RPFI they will be known simply as Racing Point next season:

Lastly off topic from F1 but still notable news, F3 champion Mick Schumacher will race in F2 next season, we might be just one year away from another Schumacher being on the grid.:cool:

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
So the top 3 in the F2 championship all got drives in F1, I don't know the last time this has happened or if its ever happened before.:unsure:
It has, 2009 had 4 graduates from GP2 to F1, but adding 3 new teams definitely helped.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
It has, 2009 had 4 graduates from GP2 to F1, but adding 3 new teams definitely helped.
Wow it was as recent as that, but your right obviously having 3 new extra teams on the grid for that year (2010) helped to make it happen.
I think that's what make this year's F2 top 3's promotion more surprising as theres only 10 teams on the grid.

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Wow it was as recent as that, but your right obviously having 3 new extra teams on the grid for that year (2010) helped to make it happen.
I think that's what make this year's F2 top 3's promotion more surprising as theres only 10 teams on the grid.
Maldonado and Perez were top two in 2010 GP2 both went directly to F1 (2011) seats also.

Then it went disastrously wrong for Davide Valsecchi and Fabio Leimer, won GP2 and rewarded with Bo (diddly)(squat). Think Grosjean rebounded the year before those two. Stoffel was put in Super Formula and that lost his momentum.

BarryTRCTurner

AOR XB1 Radical SR3 RS Champion
Dec 9, 2018
It’s true those extra teams help massively and only hulkenberg has managed to stay, always finding another seat quality driver though.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Maldonado and Perez were top two in 2010 GP2 both went directly to F1 (2011) seats also.

Then it went disastrously wrong for Davide Valsecchi and Fabio Leimer, won GP2 and rewarded with Bo (diddly)(squat). Think Grosjean rebounded the year before those two. Stoffel was put in Super Formula and that lost his momentum.
I think Maldonado and Perez's promotion were helped part due to the money they brought with them. (one backed by Venezuelan oil money the other by one of the richest Mexicans in the world)

The thing is though that one of them is now considered a quality driver with the potential of being a world champion and the other an absolute talentless crash manic nutbar.
But the funniest and craziest thing is that only one of these two drivers have won an F1 race, and it wasn't a fluke they did it legitimately by going head to head with Alonso and coming out on top, but it wasn't the one who's considered a quality driver.:ROFLMAO:

As for Vandoorne well he gets the chance to reinvent himself in Formula E, have to admit I'm half interested in watching FE all season, the mix of drivers, one car for the whole race for the first time and all the races are being shown on BBC in someway.

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
I think Maldonado and Perez's promotion were helped part due to the money they brought with them. (one backed by Venezuelan oil money the other by one of the richest Mexicans in the world)

The thing is though that one of them is now considered a quality driver with the potential of being a world champion and the other an absolute talentless crash manic nutbar.
But the funniest and craziest thing is that only one of these two drivers have won an F1 race, and it wasn't a fluke they did it legitimately by going head to head with Alonso and coming out on top, but it wasn't the one who's considered a quality driver.:ROFLMAO:

As for Vandoorne well he gets the chance to reinvent himself in Formula E, have to admit I'm half interested in watching FE all season, the mix of drivers, one car for the whole race for the first time and all the races are being shown on BBC in someway.
It was the major thing that needed fixing, pitting for a car was a bit bonkers. Too many (all) street circuits kind of limits the appeal. I understand why (because of regen) but the tracks are often too narrow with major chicaning just made it a crash fest when someone misjudged a corner or actually wanted to fight under braking (like real racing).

It feels like it might be a relaunch or reimagining of the series but I think the 25kW boost is a bit of a non-event on a 250kW PU. The cars do look nicer and I think they're about 30mph faster top end.

BBC Red Button coverage is a joke compared to Facebook Live, YT and dedicated BT ESPN. I won't include Eurosport as they often delay switching from prior events if they overrun and slam ad-breaks in willy-nilly. iPlayer is useful but the Freeview highlights are on QUEST which is a Discovery channel.

I see they've added ATTACK MODE to FAN BOOST. Very casual.

BarryTRCTurner

Dec 9, 2018
  • Vitaly Petrov,
  • Lucas di Grassi,
  • Karun Chandhok I was talking about these 3 divers when I meant hulkenburg was the only one who kept his seat. Maldonado win was very impressive to keep his composure after all those mistakes in previous races with a great like alonso on his tail. I spin out when I have the pressure of some of the quicker guys I race with

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
It was the major thing that needed fixing, pitting for a car was a bit bonkers. Too many (all) street circuits kind of limits the appeal. I understand why (because of regen) but the tracks are often too narrow with major chicaning just made it a crash fest when someone misjudged a corner or actually wanted to fight under braking (like real racing).

It feels like it might be a relaunch or reimagining of the series but I think the 25kW boost is a bit of a non-event on a 250kW PU. The cars do look nicer and I think they're about 30mph faster top end.

BBC Red Button coverage is a joke compared to Facebook Live, YT and dedicated BT ESPN. I won't include Eurosport as they often delay switching from prior events if they overrun and slam ad-breaks in willy-nilly. iPlayer is useful but the Freeview highlights are on QUEST which is a Discovery channel.

I see they've added ATTACK MODE to FAN BOOST. Very casual.
The only thing I didn't like about the change over was the fact that all teams had to adhere to a set minimum time while doing it, I get it from a safety standpoint but in spectacle terms it was boring as positions wouldn't change (normally).

I don't have to big an issue with BBC Red Button but at least its on TV, as for the fan boosts and stuff like that never been 100% sold on that concept, its just unfair for some drivers.
A unpopular driver can be leading the race (deservedly) but the guy in 2nd is well liked gets a fan boost and is able to potentially pass the driver ahead who's drove a flawless race, 'fan boost' is flawed in my opinion.

DON SILVA

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
News from Ferrari that's surprised me Arrivabene has been replaced as team principal with Mattia Binotto, considering Ferrari had a big upturn in form in the past 2 seasons for Arrivabene to get the chop I'm not convinced its the right decision, but obviously from a Seb perspective I hope I'm wrong.
https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/11598095/ferrari-replace-team-boss-maurizio-arrivabene-with-mattia-binotto
Only time will tell whether or not that's a good decision by Ferrari

BarryTRCTurner

Dec 9, 2018
If Ferrari aren't battling for the championship this year then I'd expect fans to probably use this decision as a scapegoat.
My step dad is a Ferrari fan so I’ll hear all of those theories as to why they didn’t win I’m not surprised by the desicon as Ferrari had a grip on the championship in 2018 but mistakes for vettel and car delevopment issue let Lewis steal it although he did drive amazingly well, Ferrari wouldn’t settle with 2nd so someone has to go. I this year they have a stronger chance as they will hopefully have 2 drivers going for the championship

Def

Staff member
AC Coordinator
Premium Member
Jun 3, 2016
One thing’s for sure, we’re in for an amazing season looking at the roster. At least I hope so. Very promising

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
In the week that Mick Schumacher was announced as joining the Ferrari academy, McLaren have announced that there car launch will be on February 14th.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/46904065

So far only 4 teams have announced there car launches, but you have to imagine the rest will soon be announced as testing is just 4 weeks away.

BarryTRCTurner

Dec 9, 2018
In the week that Mick Schumacher was announced as joining the Ferrari academy, McLaren have announced that there car launch will be on February 14th.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/46904065

So far only 4 teams have announced there car launches, but you have to imagine the rest will soon be announced as testing is just 4 weeks away.
We’ve got 5 so far @Wobbuffet Renault, Racing point, McLaren, Ferrari and Sauber I expect some teams to unveil on the first morning of testing

xMinxG

F1 Senna Equivalent
Apr 1, 2016
NASCAR transferes
Suarez to SHR
Truex to JBR
Kt Busch to CGR
Newman to RFR
Hemric to RCR
Preece to JTG
DiBendettto to LFR
Berryhill to Obaika