F1: Round 14 - Abu Dhabi Grand Prix [09/03/14 - 9:00pm] | ApexOnlineRacing.com

F1: Round 14 - Abu Dhabi Grand Prix [09/03/14 - 9:00pm]

Jan 13, 2014
I qualified 10th! Wow! Thought it was to good to be true.

It was.

Lap 1: caught on a kerb and straight into the wall, lost wing number 1.

3 or 4 wings and many (but not enough) great saves later i was a lap behind, had 70 seconds of penalties and i assume no more wings left in the pits and it was only lap 19.

My team told me to stop as their grannies could drive faster in a fiat panda. Needless to say I obliged.

FisiFan91

AOR Founder (on hiatus)
Staff member
AOR Admin
Jan 12, 2014
Oh deary me. I don't understand. Did a full race run offline earlier today to see if a 2-stopper worked, and it did without any problems whatsoever. However, in the actual race, my option tyres were absolutely destroyed on lap 6. It was literally like driving in a Malaysia monsoon in the middle of the desert. Car was just impossible to control - just turning the wheel slightly would send it into a 360 spin. Must've had at least 3 spins on that lap which resulted in being more than a pit-stop behind the main pack after one stint. At least Limitless was there to keep me company!What made it even worse is that I had to revert to a 3-stopper anyway, so the struggle was all for nothing.Enjoyed the first 4 laps though (apart from when I got auto-spun on a kerb), plus my short battles with Mazy and Jody, but apart from that it was a massive disaster for me, and my run of 22 rounds without finishing a race outside the points has now ended.But could have been worse I guess... :p
My team told me to stop as their grannies could drive faster in a fiat panda. Needless to say I obliged.

Reactions: SE Racing team

TRL Martin

S10 AOR X360 F1 Champion
Jan 13, 2014
For me that wasn't really a race, that was just 28 laps driving uncontrollably with a car with brakes made out of plastic.

Iv always use preset 2 control settings which is the use of the right thumbstick to accel and brake. And its become loose when i push it down so it was near impossible to apply full brake pressure going into slow speed corners. I had no confidence at all to overtake other cars after i nearly blew up contadins, trace and JDs rear ends several times, apologies for that. Inevitably got a penalty for going across the chicanes and forgot to take a photo to appeal but tbh its not worth the effort to go chasing around to get it removed for a few points.

Strategy was terrible but unlucky to SE and JD n others who had worse races tbh, so i hope you guys come back strongly.

Well done to Matty, Noble n Rickeey.

Time to buy a new pad for America...

TRL Martin

S10 AOR X360 F1 Champion
Jan 13, 2014
If that was me, they would have ended up in Bahrain....

Nice driving :biggrin:

x M a t t y G

1-time AOR X360 F1 Champion
Jan 13, 2014
Oh my sweet mother of God... how the hell did you stop Rickey!?!?!? LOL

Race Report:

Qualified 3rd which was pretty much where I was hoping to be as I knew getting pole wouldn't really matter after the straights! Noble had an insane launch to take the lead off the start and I followed suit in 3rd through the first sector. On the second straight I had saved some kers and so got a run on both Rosberg and Noble (who didn't make it too hard for me) which meant I took the lead. I then tried to stretch the gap whilst Noble and Rickey were battling which I did slightly, but Rickey ran the gap down and we were battling through the 2nd stint. My opportunity to get away came when Noble got involved in the action a lap or 2 before we pitted (I think) and I was then able to stretch the gap on the fresher tyres. Over the next 10 laps or so I managed to eek out the gap ever so gradually from Rickey and avoided most of the auto-spin kerbs to come home and take the win!! There were a few 'Oh f***' moments where the race could've been turned on it's head but I actually had some good luck for a change!!

Great racing with you Rickey, I honestly thought you would've been there with me till the end (but I'm glad you weren't :p), Noble for being a fabulous teammate and JD for finishing in 10th

FisiFan91

AOR Founder (on hiatus)
Staff member
AOR Admin
Jan 12, 2014
A couple of other things I'd like to point out;

It looked like another clean start from what I could see, so well done on that guys. When the driving standards are properly clean, I can go out of the race with a positive feeling regardless of all the issues we may have suffered with tyre- and kerb problems throughout!

Also, we didn't have a single disconnection (caused by connection problems) and I actually didn't see any lag either which was a great improvement from last week. Just a shame Matt is moving to a **** connection soon!

Also, Callum; your constant rage-quitting is becoming a bit ridiculous and is showing a pretty poor attitude. You haven't finished a race since Silverstone. Normally I would most likely have removed you by now, but there's not really much point at this stage as the spot won't be filled by anyone else anyway.

TRL Rosberg

Formula 3 Test Driver
Jan 13, 2014
qualifying went perfectly as i secured pole with a 1:37:6 which was 3 tenths quicker than seconds so i was very chuffed with that :)

as for the race it started off okay as i knew noble would have me by turn one as i couldnt defend as i had a bad start. there was quite a terrifying moment between me ricky, noble and matty which thankfully no one crashed and the overtakes were done perfectly. i tried pushing my worn options to the end of lap 5 but clearly from jds view it wasnt ideal as i lost a minunm of 6 seconds. as i lost so much time i decided i should go for another set up options so i could catch the pack back up, i did help but my hopes of salvaging a podium were already gone :p had a great battle with minty and in the last stint i could see 2nd when i was in 5th so overall close race but not a result i was looking for

well done to matty on his win :) and by the way my penalty was just me driving like a spastic on lap 5 when my tyres were **** :p

TRL Limitless

Somehow Still Not AOR F1 Champion
Jan 13, 2014
My highlights:

[video=youtube;0OIbs-l9oCE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OIbs-l9oCE&list=UUlm-9W9f6CoiHJuX3mnMRyQ[/video]

Mazy CZ

F1 Senna Equivalent
Jan 14, 2014
I was driving a boat again. At least I had some company in the 1st and 2nd stint but then I was behind Fisi 1 sec off the pace on fresh tyres.

RickeeyC

Formula 3 Test Driver
Jan 14, 2014
That was probably my most consistent race on AOR and a brilliantly fun one.

4th in quali was where I hoped to be although my lap wasn't really very good, although as Matt eluded to, being in first is a disadvantage considering the massive straights in secotr 2.

Had a pretty average start and almost lost out to Martin, however I just kept the position through T2 and managed to stay close to Matt all the way up to the second DRS straight where I almost sent Harry into space if it wasn't for Rosberg braking early and a sharp move to the left to avoid forging a McWilliams. I then managed to get past Harry after the first DRS straight on Lap 2 I believe it was, and then followed Matt around to the first stops. After these it was like driving through an M4 traffic jam after which I managed to gain time on Matty and get in a position to pass him, which I did after the second DRS straight. For once, for some stupid reason, I was actually up for a fight and lost time where Matty and I should have been making a gap to those behind (literally one of the first times I have had a needless battle in F1) it should make for some nice exciting video footage though. After Matty got back past I decided I wasn't a bottle and managed to say within 4 seconds of Matt running at the front and at a pace I was very happy with until on lap 27 when Harry was about to make a move I lagged and was unfortunately hit by him who in an incredibly sportsmanship gesture gave the position back with Minty, Rosberg, and Randy on a mission to catch us both. On the final lap Harry did get past down the first DRS straight and although I had a full bar of KERS left it was not enough to challenge him into the second chicane and so I came home in a great 3rd.

Great win by Matty you were ridiculously consistent and I had absolutely no answer after the second stint!

Nice to get on the podium after the dissapointment of India and looks like a great fight for 2nd and 4th in the Drivers championship has developed for the final two races.

Jason97F1

GP2 2nd Driver
Jan 13, 2014
One of my most consistent races I've done yet I got no points, shows how slow I really was :p

Went out in quali knowing I would be well off the pace and was going to retire on any 1.38 but surprisingly I pulled out a 38.6 and only a second of pole. Still only 12th though which was disappointing. Just goes to show how close this league is though, at least I could put on a fresh set of options for the start.

I never like starting on the inside but luckily didn't make contact with anyone, at least I think I didn't. I saw callum go into the wall behind me, not sure if I made him by slightly losing the back end but he didn't say anything and I was pretty sure I didn't touch him so carried on. Managed to pick off a couple of places on the opening laps through others' mistakes and pitted early on lap 4 (too early in hindsight, I had fresh tyres too so could easily of gone to 5) getting an undercut on most people around me. Was very surprised to see people staying out to lap 6 as I knew the tyres absolutely go on lap 6 if you qualified on them so I gained places to limitless, fisi and contadins. I also had a constant yellow flag around the whole lap from the start which flashes at the top of the screen so that was annoying but luckily it went at the pit stop.

This put me in 8th and nothing happened until the last stint when I came in for my 3rd stop on lap 20. contadins had closed a 8 second gap to 2 in 5 laps and he soon passed me on about lap 22. Managed to stay with him for a couple of laps using the rest of my fuel but the tyres soon started to give up and before long limitless had caught and passed me, this coupled with trace miraculously pulling off a 2 stop put me back in 11th and having to fend off fisi on the last lap which I did.

As I said I surprised myself with how consistent I was but still couldn't capitalise on others' misfortune as I was too slow, especially on the last 3 laps of all my prime stints. Glad to have that race out of the way, COTA is a much better track for me. Well done to matt on the win and others' who had great finishes, see you next week :)

RandyMcScrandy1

Formula 4 1st Driver
Jan 14, 2014
That was a race where I really cost myself a decent chance. Was not confident in quali at all and knew my race pace was much better so qualifying 11th was really the best thing for me. Went for a new set of primes and managed to jump to 8th by the end of the long straight. I just clipped the back end of contadins however and ended up facing backwards down in 14th which cost me a substantial amount of time. Came back through the field relatively quickly and almost caught noble by the time he had pitted. Hit another autospin curb which cost me a couple more seconds before I finally dived into the pits. From then on it was a case of seeing if I could get myself back into the fight for a podium. Was looking good to catch Minty and Rosberg right at the end when a lag spike cost me another 3 seconds. 5th isn't too bad all things considered I guess but who knows what could have been without the silly silly mistakes. Grats to the podium, unlucky JD ;) roll on America :)

FisiFan91

AOR Founder (on hiatus)
Staff member
AOR Admin
Jan 12, 2014
RickeeyC;n19733 said:
Here's my highlights from Abu Dhabi :)
Video is not showing (for me at least), so like I just said to someone in the GP2 thread; to ensure the video always show up, you should use the button circled in red below when posting a video :)

Mazy CZ

F1 Senna Equivalent
Jan 14, 2014
[video=youtube;TGqKqw5xTXA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGqKqw5xTXA[/video]

RickeeyC

Formula 3 Test Driver
Jan 14, 2014
Thanks for letting me know Fisi :) This should work

[video=youtube;V_462g95V2A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_462g95V2A[/video]