GSRC: Suggestion, Criticisms, Comments about the Broadcast | ApexOnlineRacing.com

GSRC: Suggestion, Criticisms, Comments about the Broadcast

Bill "Soup" Zahn - GSRC

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Dec 13, 2016
GSRC: Suggestion, Criticisms, Comments about the Broadcast

Racers,

Every time I start a new series I like to put this kind of suggestion post in the forum. We at GSRC want to put on the best broadcast our limited broadcast talents will allow.

We’d love any suggestions and constructive criticisms you might have to make the broadcast better. And if you can muster a slap on the back for us, our delicate egos can always use the boost. Good natured ribbing is always taken with a smile, “Kurt Kuhnootsen” can’t do much there but shrug my shoulders.

I would like to compliment the highlight shows that were produced in the earlier Pro Mazda seasons. Honestly, when I first watched them while prepping for this series, I said to myself, “These guys are doing things GSRC is unable to do”. I thought the director must be psychic because he kept getting every spin on camera as it happens. I started to feel better about what GSRC had to offer once I realized the AOR broadcast were not being done live. Never the less, they were very enjoyable to watch, and very well done. Tip of the hat.

Before you guys start weighing in, let me start by addressing the topic that is always the first to be suggested every time we post this kind of thread.

Cover The Whole Field
Yes, yes, yes, we know and we try. But you would be surprised how quickly 40 minutes goes by. We really do our best to try to cover the battles behind the leaders, and to also highlight drivers that are quietly having good runs. Trust us, we try.

I’ve just watched the round one broadcast, and here are a few things I’d like to improve on for next time.

Soup’s Critique of the Broadcast.

Pay Attention to the Teams

I do not think we mentioned the team battle once. Don’t worry, that will become more of a story line in the next race, and even more so as the season continues.

Talk About Tire Wear
Yep, I neglected to mention cold tires having an effect early, I knew about it, but it never got said. I will be on it next time.

Cover The Pit Stops Better
To be honest, I am so familiar with doing a GT3 series where the stops are so much longer, that I was caught by surprise. Cars were in and out faster than I could announce it. We will do better next time.

The Gremlins Got Richard
Sorry for the technical gremlins that kept my partner off the air for much of the Sprint Race. Viewers got a big serving of “Soup” in the sprint race, and that can get old quick.

Nicknames
Here is one last comment about nicknames. I don’t tag you guys with nicknames just to be silly, they have a purpose. We want the broadcast to be entertaining not just for viewers familiar with the series, but first time viewers as well. For viewers who don’t know any of you, you are nothing more than a bunch of syllables that make up a name. If I can tag some of you with a nickname, the first time viewer can remember you better.

Andy “Dairy” Cowey: “Yikes, sorry about that one Andy

Jeroen “Earth” Kweekel: “Once I learned how to pronounce you last name, “The Earth Quake” was just to cool.

Christoph “Last But Not” Leister: “Man, this is as close to mean spirited as I want to get”

Knut “K Mart” Martinsen: “K Marts are a popular store in the U.S., but even without knowing that, K Mart has a good ring to it.

Robert “Sugar” Plumley: “Calling him “Sugar Plum” is just too sweet to resist.”

Joini “The Unit” Silvaste: “The Unit”, that is intimidating.

Okay, if you personally don’t like your nickname, drop me a PM in iRacing (Bill Zahn) and I will gladly drop it from the broadcast.

Also, if you have one you’d like for yourself, do the same.

Okay, if you have any suggestions or comments about the GSRC broadcast, post them below. We are very thick skinned, and our feelings will not be hurt.

lokitekki

AOR iRacing FR2.0 Season 3 Champion
Aug 13, 2016
- You should at least wait the first lap complete before showing replays.
- It would be nice to show the fastest lap on screen as it happens.
So you would know that who is pushing, just like in real F1.

Commentary was good and funny :D That sun cream thing was great.

If the track is cold it is like ice on first corner so it is very hard. Mosty if it is 25c track or less.

Leister-Meister

GP2 Test Driver
Dec 8, 2014
Good job, boys!!! Honestly, I didn't expect it to be that good :)

Quote of the evening: "LDR is the man to watch" ....fortune-tellers

Concerning nicknames - that's all fine and I prefer using them and making fun of names in the broadcast over exaggerated seriousness ...especially if they come from a guy called "soup"

Last but not least, oh boy, I need to stress that team championship always has been important here as it doesn't play a role in the officials. So, yeah, keep that in mind.

Kez

iRacing Coordinator
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 13, 2014
I thought the commentary was fun and engaging, which more than made up for the relative lack of insight (and even then the insight is at a very high level already)! The nicknames made me laugh but you're right that they stick.. I don't think I will be able to stop thinking of Jouni as 'The Unit' now! It's all gone very WWE :D

I was jumping in and out while the broadcast was live and you were hosting at least 30 people who were watching it. I'm sure that audience will grow as more people get wind of this. It would be great if you could collaborate with @FisiFan91 who might be able to upload a quick teaser advert to his Youtube channel as I'm sure that's where the bulk of the potential core audience might be coming from. Nonetheless I'm excited for what the future holds.

The driver interviews were also very good and great to see a mix of drivers wanting to be part of them. I'm almost convinced Jeroen is Kimi or just doing a very good impersonation!

I have a criticism for the drivers though - stop crashing on lap 1 please! I was disappointed we lost a large percentage of the grid very early on in the sprint race. The racing was still great and it looks like most drivers got some broadcast exposure at some point but we lost a lot of key players that would have made that race sooo much better. If a huge wreck is going to be a key feature of the sprint races then I would question if the format really works.

But man, this almost makes me regret turning away at the end of last season.. but I'll supress those feelings and put it down to just how pleased I am that this was a very successful first outing and I hope those AOR-GSCR partnership continues for some time :) I actually sat through the whole 2 hours last night and watched the replay and really enjoyed it throughout - the coverage just needs more exposure!

Lorrentz

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 13, 2014
Hey bill,

First of all you guys did an amazing job to prepare yourselves in such a short timeframe because we were running a little late in finding ourselves a broadcaster. As for all of the positive reactions i've heard so far we all can be extremely happy with this first show :)

Considering it was the first broadcast with aor it was quite impressive, offcourse you didnt got all the names right but it made it funny somehow :D had a good laugh at all the nicknames you brought up.
As you mentioned yourself it would be nice to hear more about the teams/teambattles and maybe for the replays its better to have a closer look using chase cam or even onboard with the driver(s) involved the tv camera's are quite far away sometimes and that makes it hard to see what exactly happen...

As for my nickname after yesterday there's only one appropiate nickname possible with that terrible performance i came up with and that would be "nuclear strike" de rijk :D mannnn i made a mess of both races

Already looking forward to the next races

Cheers,

Laurens "nuclear strike" de rijk :D

P.s " he was the peanutbutter between the two pieces of the bread" whahhahahha hilarious :D

Last edited:

McPhilen

iRacing Coordinator
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014
I have to say that I, like the others have expressed, am immensely happy with what I saw. 'Luckily' for me, I actually got to watch a lot of the broadcast live, such was the way my race night went. I really enjoyed watching the entire way through again afterwards as well, to catch up on the bits that I missed.

I think as far as criticisms go, the only two that I thought of whilst watching have already been mentioned. The first lap replays could be delayed, if possible, to a later lap where things are less bunched up, although unlike F1 and other series where that happens, we usually stayed bunched up longer so it can be hard. The second you have mentioned already, which was the team battle. There isn't really anything to critique, that hasn't already been mentioned by yourselves

Also, as a note, tyre wear isn't really present in this car. So the only thing to mention about the tyres, as you've already said, is the need for them being really hard on the first lap of a supremely cold race as it was.

For any suggestions, I like Jouni's idea of potentially showing fastest laps of the race as they happen, assuming that is indeed possible. I also like Lauren's idea of having the replays show a different angles to TV view (perhaps a zoomed in chopper view, on-boards, or a more zoomed in TV view, etc).

But there are so many positives. Easy to watch, fun to watch, captured a large majority of the main action, very professional looking and sounding, and based on the short notice you guys have had (as Laurens said), very encouraging for the future races. Love the nick-names too.

Hopefully, on our part (as Kerry has mentioned) we'll keep the lap 1 incidents to a real minimum. I think with this being the first race night back, with a new format and really cold weather caught a few people out. I suspect in the future it will be much better.

I look forward to watching back the next one, hopefully after a decent race for myself this time ;). Keep it up guys!

Minimariner

AOR iRacing Statman
Premium Member
May 18, 2016
Really there's nothing else to say that someone else hasn't said already. I agree with the ideas above, especially saving the lap 1 replays for a couple minutes later.
But I'd just like to say as a big fan of this league, I'm very happy we have live broadcasts, and the quality of last night's was simply amazing. Especially loved the nicknames, made me laugh. I can't wait for next week already :D

Reactions: FisiFan91

Dylan Hember

Pro Karter
Jul 26, 2014
I only had one complaint, you said I was caught up in the turn 1 collision when I wasnt! Haha im joking, it was nice to hear my name being shouted out!

I think the broadcast was very good and has a good foundation for building on. The guys have already made good suggestions. As with all series' they are little bits to add which im sure you will do in the next broadcast.

Having live broadcasting does so much for this league, for the drivers and the growth of the league.

Bravo.

FisiFan91

AOR Founder (on hiatus)
Staff member
AOR Admin
Jan 12, 2014
Knut “K Mart” Martinsen: “K Marts are a popular store in the U.S., but even without knowing that, K Mart has a good ring to it.
Planning to watch back the broadcast later today, which I'm very much looking forward to given the positive reaction I've seen, but for now I'll just say that I approve of my new nickname!

Good natured ribbing is always taken with a smile, “Kurt Kuhnootsen” can’t do much there but shrug my shoulders.
And I forgive you for this :hilarious:

Hoff

FR2.0 S4 Pre-Season Sprint Race Winner
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2014
Loved it. For a back marker I got loads of coverage!

As mentioned I dont think anyone chages tires in this league which is why the pit stops were so quick.

You covered it really well with the notice. Great stuff.

I'm more commonly known around here as 'Left, right' Luke White, because I am such a naughty geezer.

Erti147

AOR Admin
Staff member
AOR Admin
Jan 14, 2014
Aye gid stuff guys - yeah +1 to the replays

As for nicknames I dunno - people call me Evan Dirty Erti Imray, but I'm not even a dirty driver. so it makes no sense, it just rhymes. Probably a perfect nickname then :D

• Agree
Reactions: Stevie

Lorrentz

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 13, 2014
If anyone can come up with a nickname for me I'd be impressed. :b
"From Sarah with love" dove :D

P.s. If dove is pronounced more like with an oh sound ( like the oh in oh my god) than it would be sara "cooking stove" dove or am i being to much of a sexist right now :p

Or just a simple sara drove :D

Last edited:

HardDrop

Pro Karter
Dec 17, 2016
for the replays its better to have a closer look using chase cam or even onboard with the driver(s) involved the tv camera's are quite far away sometimes and that makes it hard to see what exactly happen... :D
I try to show alternate camera angles when showing replays. So if we were onboard on the live shot, the replay should be a TV angle or a blimp/helicopter shot. The point of replays is to show as many varying angles as possible. However with the live action not stopping while showing replays, we have to show these replays in a short amount of time or risk on missing something happening live.

Didn't help that my controller was not responding to the sim on the feature race, so I was limited to what I could do for the first half of the broadcast. I was able to fix it for the sprint race. The camera selection and framing featured in the sprint race is more in line with what we normally do.

As you could probably tell between my issue and Richard's computer lock-up, a heavy amount of Murphy's Law came about for us yesterday. That's the nature of doing broadcasting. However, this is what we do on nearly a daily basis, and I'm really proud of how Bill carried through most of the sprint race. We'll take all of these critiques to note and apply our own fixes. The first race with a new league is always difficult because of the unfamiliarity with everything. Give us a week or two to get comfortable and we'll really show what GSRC is all about.

Rin Hato

AOR Space Race Champion
Oct 17, 2016
"From Sarah with love" dove :D

P.s. If dove is pronounced more like with an oh sound ( like the oh in oh my god) than it would be sara "cooking stove" dove or am i being to much of a sexist right now :p
Its dove like the bird

And its Sa-ra, not Sarah :b

Bill "Soup" Zahn - GSRC

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Dec 13, 2016
SAY - ra I think I can remember that.

One more thing. If any of you drivers have inside info you want to pass along to the GSRC crew, you can e-mail them to me at [email protected]

Track specific issues. Key corners. Key set-up tricks. Strategy. Anything you think would add to the broadcast including personal info, shout out to Moms, got a new piece of equipment, new baby in the house, send it on over.

I will keep the really juicy tidbits for myself, and share everything else with Richard.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Have to say with the nicknames I think a couple should definitely stick like Jouni 'The Unit' Silvasti & Robert 'Sugar' Plumley.(y)

Some others new nickname suggestions I thought of including a couple I said before:
Andy 'The Milkman' Cowey - With Andy Cowey if he doesn't like 'dairy' how about '(the) Milkman' i.e: he always delivers (results) would also tie in nicely with the cow connection.
New
Dan ' the man' Brewer - I know its a bit common but its either that or 'The Beer'.:p
Steve 'Spiderman' Kagerer - his avatar is a spider and he likes spiders (I think).
Pushing these;)
Tye 'Highlander' Macleod - Main character in the Highlander films the last name is Macleod.
Lee 'Nitro' Robinson - His middle initial is 'N' why not make use of it, also he is generally fast.

I'm more commonly known around here as 'Left, right' Luke White, because I am such a naughty geezer.
Luke 'Wheelman' White - would go with the W initial, also if your known for 'left, right' then you must use your wheels to change direction.

If anyone can come up with a nickname for me I'd be impressed. :b
Sara 'Shooting Star' Dove - For this one reason only:
(Classic 90's British entertainment there)

As for nicknames I dunno - people call me Evan Dirty Erti Imray, but I'm not even a dirty driver. so it makes no sense, it just rhymes. Probably a perfect nickname then :D
I think I thought of something better for you Evan.(y)

Evan 'Thorny' Imray - You was a pain in Fisi's backside last season and to get rid off while racing, also Thorns are a part of Thistles which are the national flower of Scotland.

There my suggestions anyway.:)

Reactions: Tye