GSRC: Suggestion, Criticisms, Comments about the Broadcast | ApexOnlineRacing.com

GSRC: Suggestion, Criticisms, Comments about the Broadcast

Bill "Soup" Zahn - GSRC

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Dec 13, 2016
I’m glad that wasn’t GSRC’s audition broadcast, we might not have been awarded the series.

I thought you all put on a great show. I think we covered the action okay, but it was a comedy or errors behind the GSRC curtain.

I started the broadcast with the iRacing Driver’s Association script in front of me, and things went down hill from there. We take pride in what we do, not sure you'd know it from that performance.

We will nail the season finale. Thanks for understanding.

HardDrop

Pro Karter
Dec 17, 2016
For those of you wondering how we do things behind the scenes, here's a play-by-play recap of what happened before going live yesterday.

Bill: You know, there's gonna be no BMW's in today's race.

Rich: Oh, you mean for IDA? (A broadcast for later in the day)

Bill: (laughs) Oh my goodness, I got the wrong script up!

Me: Okay, get the right script up and let me know when you're ready

- - One minute Later

Me: You good to go, Bill?

Bill: Soup is good.

- - I start the intro bumper video

Me: Standby for hot mic... and go!

Bill: HURR DURR DERP DERP DERP!

Me:

Bill "Soup" Zahn - GSRC

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Dec 13, 2016
Congratulations to everyone at AOR for a great season. I feel comfortable speaking for my booth-mate Richard Losper and our director Amjed Yamin, that covering AOR was a pleasure.

I hope you enjoyed the coverage of the action as much as we enjoyed covering the action.

Hopefully GSRC can return as the broadcast company for season five. GSRC has a talented stable of commentators. I'm personally looking forward to being in the booth for next season, but no matter who GSRC selects as the broadcast team, one thing is certain, no broadcast company will work harder to understand a series than GSRC.

FORUM REQUEST:
Not sure if anything can be done here, but is there a way for forum post to indicate somewhere the actual iRacing name of the posting party? Understand that I personally cover 6 different series full time. It is impossible for me to connect the forum nickname to the actual driver.

TEAMS
Amjed is working on some technical tricks that will allow me, on my monitor, to see the team names along with driver names in real time. I tried to memorize what drivers were on what team, but to be honest, I was just not mentally sharp enough for my brain to access that information on the fly. Half the time I got it wrong. Many more team references coming next season.

Race Recap Pics:
If a series member has an artistic eye and wanted to take on the duty of taking a handful of screens shots of an event's action I can include them in the pre-race show. Again, with me covering 6 series full time, it is too labor intensive for me to take the pics myself. I would need 3 pics per race, (six total).
1) A shot of the entire field early on. (on the grid or first corner)
2) Key crash
3) Final pass for lead or leader crossing finish line.

I will put the pics in overlays and Amjed can display them during the last race recap segment. We can coordinate with the series organizer about the details.

PERSONAL PAT ON THE BACK:
Okay, I'm gona' toot my own horn here, pat myself on the back, but how about GSRC being on top of the point system and being able to declare a champion? POCKET POINTS MATTER! Silvasti had a guarantee of 12 points and a 37 point lead. Kweekel needed to score 49 points. 32 for feature win, 17 for sprint 2nd, for a total of.....you guessed it... 49. How weird. We talked about it in the pre-race, showed the point system before the sprint race, and had the score nailed for the post race. Damn I'm good.

Okay, thanks for a great series guys and gal, good luck in the future.

Lorrentz

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 13, 2014
FORUM REQUEST:
Not sure if anything can be done here, but is there a way for forum post to indicate somewhere the actual iRacing name of the posting party? Understand that I personally cover 6 different series full time. It is impossible for me to connect the forum nickname to the actual driver.
Hi Bill probably you best shot is looking at the Sign up info thread where they keep record of everyone signing up to the league including their Real Iracing name and the forum name.

http://apexonlineracing.com/community/threads/aor-formula-renault-2-0-championship-season-4-sign-up-info.17302/

for season 5 there will be the same sort of thread when thats all sorted...

again thnx for the awesome coverage this season :) I can tell that you personally have a lot of fans out there! Keep up the good work

Reactions: Rin Hato and Tye

Erti147

AOR Admin
Staff member
AOR Admin
Jan 14, 2014
Or alternatively people put their real name is their forum signature

Most usernames have clues as to who they are like but half a dozen of them I still can get mixed up on

• Agree
Reactions: Gunar Nijenhuis

Bill "Soup" Zahn - GSRC

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Dec 13, 2016
RULE QUESTION

I did not want to clutter the new season forum with this question so I will post it here.

Does distance and incident penalties combine?
In a feature race how many points does a driver earn if he/she goes 80% of the leader distance AND 14X?

Stevie

Former Super Mod
Premium Member
Aug 26, 2014
That's a great question.

Quarter points - based on no knowledge whatsoever.

Kez

iRacing Coordinator
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 13, 2014
Are they all yours kappa

But that's still 11 too many IMO. I get that the point of the rule seems to be to deter drivers from accumulating incidents, so why not just disqualify them at an earlier stage? It just seems unnecessary to dock points when there is already a line in place.

And purely from a broadcaster's/viewer's perspective, it's not immediately obvious what the hell is going on either. There's no way to track it until the race results are finished and updated in the standings.

• Agree

McPhilen

iRacing Coordinator
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014
Are they all yours kappa

But that's still 11 too many IMO. I get that the point of the rule seems to be to deter drivers from accumulating incidents, so why not just disqualify them at an earlier stage? It just seems unnecessary to dock points when there is already a line in place.

And purely from a broadcaster's/viewer's perspective, it's not immediately obvious what the hell is going on either. There's no way to track it until the race results are finished and updated in the standings.
Understandable, but that would mean a 13 incident cap on the feature race, and probably a 9 in the sprint race. It's certainly possible, but that would mean 45 drivers would have been disqualified from the sprint race from a points paying position.

If the sprint was capped at 11, that would be 23 drivers disqualified from a points paying position.

So, the sprint would stay at 13, and the feature at 17, but then it seems too high as that is what we ran in the feature at approximately a 1 hour length race, so it'd be too lenient on its own.

Perhaps if people knew the sprint race was capped at either of 9 or 11, then it'd deter them more (as we rarely saw people actually hit 13), but perhaps people didn't hit 13 as it was just too high, or perhaps was infact the correct number. If 13 is correct for sprint, 17 must be correct for feature, but again, that's what we ran for 1 hour races. Perhaps something like 15/11 hard limits, with no half points.

• Agree

Kez

iRacing Coordinator
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 13, 2014
Theoretically, let's say two drivers finish 1st and 2nd. The guy in 1st got clouted on lap 1 and got a x4 out of their control (not netcode) and over the course of a race that bumps him over the 13x threshold. 2nd place finishes with 12 incidents. It's possible, it could happen. Why should 1st place be punished by losing 50% of his points for something out of his control?

Surely it's also very confusing to interpret in the standings. From what I've seen it seems that there's no way of knowing on the overview that a driver went over the incident threshold to trigger a points deduction.

I think it creates more problems than solves them. And you wouldn't see any other point system like this on any other sim because they don't monitor the type of incidents that iRacing does.

Rin Hato

AOR Space Race Champion
Oct 17, 2016
I agree, just keep it to a hard limit IMO, with the sprint being slightly lower. Whether that's 17/13 or 15/11 or whatever, that could be part of the pre-season test to see what works best.