GT3 Car Balancing | ApexOnlineRacing.com

GT3 Car Balancing

Tudesertpac

Formula 4 1st Driver
Feb 3, 2018
Maybe it's just me. But I don't like the direction of the car selection. Nearly half of the field ist Ferrari. Really sad to see something like that guys

ZAL

Formula 4 Test Driver
Feb 14, 2018
Maybe it's just me. But I don't like the direction of the car selection. Nearly half of the field ist Ferrari. Really sad to see something like that guys
I mean, obviously people want to be fastest, which is followed by choosing the fastest car. This is my first league and I wish to perform well. I think rather blame GT3 balancing than drivers choice of car. If it were down to looks and all cars were equal, I would easily choose Mercedes AMG but the car is like 2 seconds off pace from the Ferrari..

Don't get me wrong, I think it's boring too that there are so many Ferrari's, but what can you do when its OP. It happens in every game, people choose the strongest thing.

I'm actually surprised no Ginetta's. That car can be really fast on some tracks. :D But it would most likely be too slow on this season's tracks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daniel Nesterowicz

AndrexUK

2 times PC Project Cars 2 Champion
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
May 6, 2015
Ppl want to give themselves the best chance of winning / doing well (understandable) so they take the best car (imo the Ferrari is still a little OP)

It didn't really work for me, but even if it did, I refuse to take it for the above reason, and also I would rather drive a slower car, just to avoid a Ferrari league (similar to S8).
Can't really ask ppl not to take the car they would get their best results in.
Results are not a big thing for me, and I've driven many slow cars in previous seasons (Caddy / AMG in pCars1), just to have them on the grid.

I really wanted to run the Nissan this season, but just can't get it to be as drivable as the M6, certainly not for a full race distance anyway, without being about 1.5 / 2 secs slower).
I'll probably run something daft next season. (I did consider the Aston)

KrypticTMG

F1 Reserve Driver
Apr 4, 2015
Ppl want to give themselves the best chance of winning / doing well (understandable) so they take the best car (imo the Ferrari is still a little OP)

It didn't really work for me, but even if it did, I refuse to take it for the above reason, and also I would rather drive a slower car, just to avoid a Ferrari league (similar to S8).
Can't really ask ppl not to take the car they would get their best results in.
Results are not a big thing for me, and I've driven many slow cars in previous seasons (Caddy / AMG in pCars1), just to have them on the grid.

I really wanted to run the Nissan this season, but just can't get it to be as drivable as the M6, certainly not for a full race distance anyway, without being about 1.5 / 2 secs slower).
I'll probably run something daft next season. (I did consider the Aston)
Still can’t believe it didn’t get banned most of the other cars are pretty even but the 488 is just too quick atm and has been since the games launch. I remember the M3 getting banned on pcars1 even though its advantage was not as big as the 488’s, kind of ruins the championship a bit but it is what it is.

Ironik

F1 Senna Equivalent
Jul 20, 2016
Still can’t believe it didn’t get banned most of the other cars are pretty even but the 488 is just too quick atm and has been since the games launch. I remember the M3 getting banned on pcars1 even though its advantage was not as big as the 488’s, kind of ruins the championship a bit but it is what it is.
IIRC the M3 didn't have ABS with real assists and so, wasn't overpowered... at all. But I could be wrong though ^^
@KrypticTMG : Did you try the Ferrari around COTA ? What is the laptime difference with the RS.01?

Tex Wheeler

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Feb 13, 2018
Wasn't the balance pretty good after patch 3, when Ferrari got nerfed? For some reason, they buffed the Ferrari again close to original in patch 4, which was a mistake IMO. SMS should have left Ferrari as it was after patch 3 and buff McLaren instead.

Reactions: DrewTheGreat323

N1kmido

Project CARS Coordinator
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Sep 17, 2016
Wasn't the balance pretty good after patch 3, when Ferrari got nerfed? For some reason, they buffed the Ferrari again close to original in patch 4, which was a mistake IMO. SMS should have left Ferrari as it was after patch 3 and buff McLaren instead.
I agree, even more on the big shame that happened to the McLaren. I tried to make aware of it in the GT3 car balancing thread in the official forum but seemed like nobody really cares. (Probably will create a separated thread soon)

Realistically it shouldn´t be one of the top fastest cars (like it wasn´t fighting for wins in Blancpain last season) but at the moment it literally is the slowest out of all, even the Aston or SLS are faster on most tracks, just ridicolous. :depressed:

rciq

Formula Karter
Dec 21, 2017
As far as I remember the patchnotes, they didn't specifically buff the Ferrari in 4.0. They tweaked the altitudes of tracks so that naturally aspirated cars can compete better against turbos. As a result all cars develop slightly more HP, especially on higher altitude tracks. This global buff included the Ferrari, which is now supposedly almost as fast as it used to be before patch 3.0. However it's the naturally aspirated cars that benefited the most from this change. This is why multiple track WRs were broken by people in the Audi LMS the first day after patch.

Some cars did get additional individual power or handling buffs (AMGs, GTR, Bentley, Lambo) but not the 488. I think the patchnotes also mentioned a big rebalance of the Porsche, but I have no idea what it did to the car (whether it made it faster/slower/better handling/whatever).

tldr; the Ferrari is in fact quicker than before, maybe still the quickest, but the overall GT3 balance should be better because many other cars got relatively better buffs. The reason it's so popular is that it's perhaps easiest car to drive on the limit. It's well balanced right from the default setup. The M6, for instance, is potentially a quicker car but extremely difficult to control when driven hard.

EDIT:
Patchnotes link, if anyone wants to dig deeper:
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?55001-Project-CARS-2-PC-Updates-Changelog&p=1472667&viewfull=1#post1472667

Last edited:
Reactions: ZAL

Adalexis

Formula 4 1st Driver
Feb 3, 2018
As far as I remember the patchnotes, they didn't specifically buff the Ferrari in 4.0. They tweaked the altitudes of tracks so that naturally aspirated cars can compete better against turbos. As a result all cars develop slightly more HP, especially on higher altitude tracks. This global buff included the Ferrari, which is now supposedly almost as fast as it used to be before patch 3.0. However it's the naturally aspirated cars that benefited the most from this change. This is why multiple track WRs were broken by people in the Audi LMS the first day after patch.

Some cars did get additional individual power or handling buffs (AMGs, GTR, Bentley, Lambo) but not the 488. I think the patchnotes also mentioned a big rebalance of the Porsche, but I have no idea what it did to the car (whether it made it faster/slower/better handling/whatever).

tldr; the Ferrari is in fact quicker than before, maybe still the quickest, but the overall GT3 balance should be better because many other cars got relatively better buffs. The reason it's so popular is that it's perhaps easiest car to drive on the limit. It's well balanced right from the default setup. The M6, for instance, is potentially a quicker car but extremely difficult to control when driven hard.
Perfect words. Ferrari is not the fastest. But is the more neutral and maybe easy to master of fast gt3 cars. The real problem is that there are few good cars and a lot of cars too much slow. Ferrari, Porsche, M6 and Audi are all fast. Others a little to mid underpowered imho

rciq

Formula Karter
Dec 21, 2017
Perfect words. Ferrari is not the fastest. But is the more neutral and maybe easy to master of fast gt3 cars. The real problem is that there are few good cars and a lot of cars too much slow. Ferrari, Porsche, M6 and Audi are all fast. Others a little to mid underpowered imho
... don't forget the Lambo;) It got buffed the same way as the Audi, PLUS it got a nice individual top speed buff. It's now like the Audi had a slightly retarded brother who skipped school and went to the gym instead;)

Adalexis

Formula 4 1st Driver
Feb 3, 2018
Ahahajahaha you killed me.

SteveA

Formula Karter
Jan 16, 2018
The Porsche cant compete on longer runs and race pace... Its an extremly funy car to drive and quite tricky but it destroys and overheats tyres to easy... The Ferrari is on another level when it comes to tyrelife. :)

Tex Wheeler

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Feb 13, 2018
Good points, but I still think Ferrari is little too fast. It is the fastest for sure, look at the leaderboards for Imola for example, and that is not even at very high altitude. Ferrari is also very easy to drive, rides curbs well and is good on tyres. Audi, BMW and Porsce are fast too, but IMO they are harder to drive as fast as Ferrari and not quite as fast on ultimate pace (Not 100 % sure on Audi, as I haven't driven it much).

And in the patchnotes there is this line:
Small HP balance adjustments to Bentley, Cadillac ATS, and Ferrari GT3 cars.

IIRC Ferrari got a few hp more after the patch.

Yorkie065

SMS Representative
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
AOR Commentator
Jan 19, 2014
Taking the discussion from the Car and Team Registration thread about the GT3 car balancing and allowing it to continue here.

KrypticTMG

F1 Reserve Driver
Apr 4, 2015
Nah the Ferrari is the best which is why everyone who says the Ferrari is not the best then go on to pick the Ferrari for a championship. I struggle to see how ppl try to down play how fast the Ferrari is. I'm not just talking how fast you can go in time trial with 100% grip over a single lap because then yes the Audi, Lambo, M6, can all be as fast, but in a race over a race distance the Ferrari cant be touched look at the results of GT3 Elite S8 on PS4 and PC 12wins out of 12 even after patch 3, now this season already another 2 wins. The last time a Ferrari didn't win a GT3 race we was on Pcars1.

I always respect the guys who show good speed and race pace in the other GT3 cars because it takes a lot of work to ring the talent out of it a lot of setup work but the Ferrari a few changes from default and your flying. I think if the Ferrari was band you would see a lot more variation in car selection and a lot more variation in race results at the moment it is very predictable. What makes it worse is every time their is a car close to the 488 they Nerf it, The Mclaren wasn't that far off in the beginning and they nerfed it, the porsche was close after patch 3 and look at it now, average.

ILRT_NICK-NITRO

Project CARS Coordinator
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Mar 16, 2017
Nah the Ferrari is the best which is why everyone who says the Ferrari is not the best then go on to pick the Ferrari for a championship. I struggle to see how ppl try to down play how fast the Ferrari is. I'm not just talking how fast you can go in time trial with 100% grip over a single lap because then yes the Audi, Lambo, M6, can all be as fast, but in a race over a race distance the Ferrari cant be touched look at the results of GT3 Elite S8 on PS4 and PC 12wins out of 12 even after patch 3, now this season already another 2 wins. The last time a Ferrari didn't win a GT3 race we was on Pcars1.

I always respect the guys who show good speed and race pace in the other GT3 cars because it takes a lot of work to ring the talent out of it a lot of setup work but the Ferrari a few changes from default and your flying. I think if the Ferrari was band you would see a lot more variation in car selection and a lot more variation in race results at the moment it is very predictable. What makes it worse is every time their is a car close to the 488 they Nerf it, The Mclaren wasn't that far off in the beginning and they nerfed it, the porsche was close after patch 3 and look at it now, average.
Biggest let down for me is the 650s it's just so uncompetitive now:(

Tex Wheeler

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Feb 13, 2018
The thing with Macca, Merc and similar is how they are not only slow, but harder to drive than Ferrari and others. So their race pace will be even slower.

Not to mention Aston Martin. It is sad how poor it is, it looks and sounds so nice but it pretty much useless. It might not be the fastest GT3 car IRL, but this year they will race in Blancpain championship in PRO class, so I would imagine it is not that bad.

Nonetheless, I have high hopes for the next patch that we will see at least a couple of competitive cars. The patch 4 did pretty big changes to GT3 cars, so it was somewhat a new start.

KrypticTMG

F1 Reserve Driver
Apr 4, 2015
Biggest let down for me is the 650s it's just so uncompetitive now:(
I know its crazy, The Bentley and Caddy were improved but what good is it improving cars when they are still not competitive, last time i checked i think i counted 15 or 16 GT3 cars and out of them realistically how many of them could win a 30 lap race in a competitive field.

ILRT_NICK-NITRO

Project CARS Coordinator
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Mar 16, 2017
I know its crazy, The Bentley and Caddy were improved but what good is it improving cars when they are still not competitive, last time i checked i think i counted 15 or 16 GT3 cars and out of them realistically how many of them could win a 30 lap race in a competitive field.
Me and foggy was talking about this the other day, you look at REAL life gt3 championships and races How often is the 488 wining and the best car:confused:

KrypticTMG

F1 Reserve Driver
Apr 4, 2015
The thing with Macca, Merc and similar is how they are not only slow, but harder to drive than Ferrari and others. So their race pace will be even slower.

Not to mention Aston Martin. It is sad how poor it is, it looks and sounds so nice but it pretty much useless. It might not be the fastest GT3 car IRL, but this year they will race in Blancpain championship in PRO class, so I would imagine it is not that bad.
Whats crazy is IRL they had to BOP the 650 down because without the current BOP it would destroy everything. The Merc is a solid front runner in almost every GT3 championship but for whatever reason SMS do not seem to fancy it. To be honest i just think because they got the Ferrari license for the game they got over happy and just went over board, its kind of like when FIFA has a player on the front cover like Ronaldo/messi or Rooney back in the day, you know he's gonna be a beast when you use him.