PC - One last hurrah | ApexOnlineRacing.com

PC One last hurrah

Papand

F1 Test Driver
Jul 17, 2015
Warning: Short post turned into a long one filled with old memories.

One race to go and the curtain will go down for the season and maybe for the GT3 league until Project Cars 2 arrives. For me this will be the 51st race i have done in AOR GT3 and this will also be my last.

I like to finish on a high, so it has been very important for me to perform well this season. I think i have achieved that, so no matter how the final dance ends on Dubai i will be leaving with a smile. Being a father has really challenged how i use my spare time, so i have not been able so practice properly for the last 10 months. Also the evenings were race banned due to my heavy work on wheel and pedals waking up the baby.

Being one of the veterans now, its funny to think back to season 2 when i joined AOR after a recommendation from @Noztra who i raced with in a Danish Facebook league. I got my first wheel only a few months prior, when i was out of a job and looked for something to fill the spare time with. After some tries in the singleplayer i found the Precision Racing League on Steam forum to try multiplayer. This was GT3 and i got one of the last spots, so i could not chose a car and i had to pick RUF. So the background for me always picking RUF is that simple - it was the first car i tried and i just got used to it. On my very first race i qualified 8th and i was shaking of excitement when the race started. That amazing feeling really hooked me in and i was on the edge for the full racing finishing about 7th. Interesting enough a Polish kid called @khaki was also on the grid. He must have been about 8 years old then.

That first league experience made me practice like crazy. 10 or so hours per day. Found amazing guides on setup work from the likes of @TonyR who i was sure would be a real pro racing driver. Already in my third race i managed to qualify 2nd (in front of the Polish kid). I was shaking being so nervous and of course everything went horrible wrong when i did a 180 in the first corner and took half the field out. Never the less i got better as the season progressed and finished overall 2nd behind @khaki.

Shortly after i joined this Danish Facebook league for endurance races. @Noztra and @AndrexUK were driving here in the break after AOR GT3 season 1. Especially that Scotsman were crazy fast being miles in front of everyone else. He MUST be a real life pro i thought (now i know he is just pro at being grumpy). It was here they recommended AOR and i joined for season 2.

Season 2
I was put in Pro league alongside the likes of @Gxbbs and @Erti147. At first i was just around top 5 trying to control the car without assists. It was a real blast with the field being quite close and having battles everywhere. The real turning point for me was @F1-Masa helping me as a training buddy. Having someone watching me giving inputs on lines, braking points, gears etc. was just crucial. After that i won the last 5 races in Pro and secured the overall win.

In the break between seasons i put a lot into time trials (had 12 TT world records in the RUF at the time). I also joined ESL and really upped my pure pace and race craft during that time in the 1 vs 1 duels.

Season 3
For season 3 in AOR i was now in Elite along the top dogs. Was again very very nervous at the start but a managed to bring home a 6th after a fantastic intense race. After that it only got better as i continued to improve grabbing 2 podiums and a win on Watkins Glen in my first Elite season. Finished 3rd overall and won the Team Championship together with my fellow Dane @Miniblack .

Season 4
In Season 4 live streaming and commentating with @FisiFan91 and @Yorkie065 was introduced. So for the first race i had send a link to friends and family to watch me race. It all ended before the green lights with my car blowing up on the grid losing all wheels. My chin hit the floor there... It just marked the beginning of a season to forget with so much going wrong. Grabbed a few podiums but it was only enough for 7th overall. I also got involved in all the heavy drama on track limits dividing the field in two opinions and some deadly rivalries being formed. I was actually close being thrown out or leaving myself, but @Erti147 and @Yorkie065 played their diplomatic cards well and saved my ass.

In the off season i rejoined PRL and also BSR league to get away from AOR. I won the overall by far margin in both and got my confidence refueled for season 5 in AOR.

Season 5
Looking back season 5 has probably been my most memorable. It was here i ran out of fuel at Sakitto throwing away a clear 1st. I made that up driving my best race in AOR in round 10 on Monza where i took pole and held @Canuma and @khaki away for 35 intense laps with crazy pressure. Becoming a father probably cost me 2nd as i missed two rounds, but with 6 podiums i brought home 3rd.

Season 6
This season has been a turning point. For the first time i felt my relative pace to the field were no longer getting stronger. I was moving backwards. With the little one supposed to sleep i could no longer practice in the evening and i turned up to many of the races with only the social race as real practice. This really hit me hard as new aliens @C. Tscharf , @Suomy , @mangator and @Enzo joined in. It was just such a slap in the face to accept i could no longer keep up on pure pace and i could no longer practice my way out of it. Experience gave me 2 podiums in the end and 4th overall as well as the Team Championship. Still it was probably time for me to retire as motivation took a hit as well.

Season 7
Now we are here in season 7. Told myself before the season that i would give everything i have for one last season. Really tried to step up on practice, but in reality i have been relying heavily on my teammate @C. Tscharf on inputs to find that little extra to stay in the top mix. The start of the season was quite horrible with several mistakes and pace just being way off. With the comeback on Catalunya i really felt things going in the right direction. Found a good compromise with my own and @C. Tscharf 's setup style and it has helped me to regain the lost stability. With 5 straight podiums (some due to others mistakes) including a win i have now secured a strong finish to my time in AOR. If i can beat @GodfatherofShift in the final i might secure my best overall as well.

So what was intended to be a short "thank you for everything" post have now turned into a wall of text. But thats what happens when good memories start to pop up.

Thanks for everything guys. These races for the last 2 years have been a highlight every week. There have been happiness and anger. Joy and tears. Most important lots of friendships that reaches beyond a driving game. Not gonna mention the ones to thank as there are far to many. Im just very grateful being a part of this.

Now i look forward to see as many as you as possible at the final. Lets finish this in style.

/ Papand / D.Keller

Last edited:

AndrexUK

2 times PC Project Cars 2 Champion
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
AC Coordinator
May 6, 2015
I remember getting you to join in on AOR, and I'm so glad you did, and also that you have enjoyed it so far (I don't really want to think you won't still be around later on!).
The speed at which you improved during S2 / S3 was mighty impressive!
I kinda remember just thinking, "where the hell did this guy get all his speed from? I could beat him fine a couple of months ago...."
In my books, I consider you as part of that Alien fast group of guys.
Whenever you are on the grid, I always look out for how your race goes, and I'm always happy to see you up near the front end!

Some of the faster guys, when they are (for whatever reason) behind me, I'll maybe put up my "Scottish Wall" and defend, but whenever it's you, I know there is just no point. I'll loose less time myself by letting you past where it suits me, because I have no doubt in my mind that you would break the wall eventually!
You just seam to have speed I can't begin to figure out where from.
(Perhaps I need to try and learn this Trail Braking stuff, but it never works for me).

We've played other games outside of AOR / sim racing, and I've had an absolute blast!

And in any battles (in your slower days) I had complete trust in going 2 wide with you anywhere!

You have my respect!
And I hope to see you on the track again soon!

Reactions: Def

Erti147

Snr S-Mod & F1 Steward Supervisor
Staff member
Super Moderator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
I'm very happy that you came through those challenging times in earlier seasons and have stuck around for so long. Great to see you become a better person and I'm proud to have, in any way, made your time in the leagues better. :)

Also, never mention me in the same sentence as @Gxbbs ever again hahaha

Noztra

Banned Users
Mar 3, 2015
Nice post @Papand. :) Bring back a lot of good memories not only with AOR and the BSR guys. I the begining we where neck and neck pace wise, but from that moment you never looked back. :p

I will always remember our BSR Zhuhai race, which was some of the best racing I had in many years. :)

Last edited:

vadim

AOR PC GT3 Pro S7 Champion
Mar 5, 2017
I know i joined very late to project cars and league it self (last one for this game probably duhh) but as much i had a chance to battle here and there in gt3 social races @Papand , was great, unfortunately we were not in the same tier

Anon1

F1 Champion
Apr 13, 2016
That is so sad to read that you will leave our community :cry:. You were and are a real inspiration for me. I hope we'll see you again soon at pcars 2 and that this is just a break and not a good bye.

• Agree
Reactions: EVR Morvic

FOGGY #7

AOR PS4 Project CARS Champion
Premium Member
Dec 30, 2015
Sad to see you are leaving us :( Loved watching you Race these last 5 seasons over on PC. Awsome racer! :stig:
Thanks very much also for all your help and guidance when I 1st joined AOR. With your help with RUF and my wheel. I was soon challenging for podium finishes.
Genuine nice guy. ;)
Best of luck m8. :)

rillo7105

1-time AOR PC GT3 Pro Champion
Premium Member
Jun 21, 2016
Congrats @Papand for the second place in the championship! Well deserved!

Being a father of 2 wonderful kids i know it is hard to find time to practice and focus on the racing but don’t forget your “daddy time” :)

Take care of the family and hope to see you soon on the track again.

Reactions: FisiFan91

Def

Staff member
AC Coordinator
Premium Member
Jun 3, 2016
I'll keep it short and just say you can come back to XB1 forum, there are cookies ready for you anytime. @Papand :wtf:

Thank you for everything you've done. I hope to see you around soon, but most importantly take care of yourself and family (y)

Also.. I don't remember exactly who it was, but one of your team mates once sent you a Yoshi and for sure this is one of the best internet moments I've ever witnessed. :drool::)

Brett_Nz

Junior Karter
Jun 4, 2017
I remember getting you to join in on AOR, and I'm so glad you did, and also that you have enjoyed it so far (I don't really want to think you won't still be around later on!).
The speed at which you improved during S2 / S3 was mighty impressive!
I kinda remember just thinking, "where the hell did this guy get all his speed from? I could beat him fine a couple of months ago...."
In my books, I consider you as part of that Alien fast group of guys.
Whenever you are on the grid, I always look out for how your race goes, and I'm always happy to see you up near the front end!

Some of the faster guys, when they are (for whatever reason) behind me, I'll maybe put up my "Scottish Wall" and defend, but whenever it's you, I know there is just no point. I'll loose less time myself by letting you past where it suits me, because I have no doubt in my mind that you would break the wall eventually!
You just seam to have speed I can't begin to figure out where from.
(Perhaps I need to try and learn this Trail Braking stuff, but it never works for me).

We've played other games outside of AOR / sim racing, and I've had an absolute blast!

And in any battles (in your slower days) I had complete trust in going 2 wide with you anywhere!

You have my respect!
And I hope to see you on the track again soon!
Great read mate I'm in the process of watching your career very impressed Brett

• Friendly
Reactions: AndrexUK

EVR Morvic

Reigning AOR PC GT Endurance Champion
Staff member
DiRT Coordinator
Feb 25, 2016
Family comes first that's for sure. Sad to see you go man, but in the end it's your decision.
When I started to watch GT3 leagues (I believe it was mid S5) I immideatly remembered your RUF and my brain coded the fact that it's kind of your signature car. You were somehow a special guy in those leagues! Not only because of the car, of course :D
I'm not gonna lie I'd want you to come back in Project CARS 2 some day.
Be seeing you, Papand!

Reactions: Brett_Nz

zoglug

Formula 3 Test Driver
May 22, 2016
Great read @Papand

I only raced part of Season 5, missed the last few races due to child number 2 turning up, but you were a huge help giving me some fantastic advice with setting up the RUF, it certainly meant I knew the car could perform, it was my own ability which was lacking!