PC - PC F4 Round 17 - United States | ApexOnlineRacing.com

PC PC F4 Round 17 - United States

Julien2395

F1 Senna Equivalent
Jul 15, 2017
and I mean I'm really not interested in fighting over 5th, my chance at P2 is pretty much gone with being 50 points back again, and I'll be nowhere in Mexico and probably Abu Dhabi too.
Since Aaron is gone for Mexico, I need to take my chances then :p

SMEAJ

S14 AOR PC F4 Champion
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Aug 20, 2017
It's very much late but I should probably really give my (extensive) thoughts on this race, before I'll upload highlights by 2019 hopefully.

In qualifying I lol'd my way into corner cutting on my first 2 laps so I was completely under pressure on my last one that I had to deliver - I didn't want Singapore again. On the run on to the lap I saw @Lunation in front of me, looked at his race director which made me think (judging by the fact there was a first sector in it) that it was an in lap. When I saw him stay out, my mind at the time failed to calculate why he did, and judging by the way he did the final corner, i was flustered into thinking he was just going to do **** about on his lap at the end of qualifying for no reason or something. So as a result, in my complete confusion, and also because we were in separate discords which would've indefinitely prevented all of this, I threw it down his inside @Julien2395 style to get past so I didn't get blocked on my lap. Little did I know he was going onto another lap, and as I'm writing this it sounds really bad but in the context of the situation I was completely puzzled by why he stayed out for another lap according to the race director at least. All I can say is that I apologise, and that we should really go in the same fuckin discord.

I got pole on a pretty good lap, as good as I'll ever do under that kind of pressure. Credit goes to @Thm786 for finally pulling his finger out and @Detainable for getting 3rd with no track evolution.

In the race, this is where it goes downhill. On lap 1 my terrible start (on my wheel fyi) put me defending from Reece and behind Thm out of the first section. On lap 1 I managed to fall back 3 whole seconds from him, as I struggled to get to grips with heavy fuel and squabbled with Reece. Into the last sector he goes down the inside, we go side-by-side respectfully into turn 15 when I attempt a switchback. I realised at the time I had to go for something as I was on the outside, bound to lose the position and then be condemned to 3rd place due to the insane race pace (because of the pad of course) of Reece and Thm's everlasting advantage.

In my head it went better than it actually did, to say the least. I lift back way too much on the switchback and when I make my lunge I lock up, have to lift off the brakes and try as I might I avoid a crash, Reece simply couldn't react in time to my car flying down his inside. He'd get lime wing damage, and I'd be ahead. Admittedly in hindsight I should've let him back through possibly for the move itself, let alone the damage, however from my view, and because I had no other information to tell me otherwise (thanks to that discord issue poking its head up again lol) I thought he had no damage. I was really conflicted inside whether to give the place back or not, but without much understanding at the time of the scenario, and with a job to do to keep up with Thm, I elected to stay ahead. I needed to get ahead yes, I knew that, but that was not how I wanted it to happen. For the 2nd and not the last time in this post, I'm going to wholly apologise as that was really bad for your championship chances.
I'm not going to say any more here about it, here's the enquiry if you'd like to see it: https://apexonlineracing.com/community/threads/f4-dive-bombed-after-clean-overtake-wing-damage.30571/

As we settled into the first stint, I maintained an approximate 3 second gap to Thm up but Reece with his damage kept in my DRS up until lap 8. This was another reason why I didn't think he had damage; though evidently if he actually didn't, he'd've flown past me, then got Thm by the end of the first stint and won the race by a sector or 2.

Having not even completed a proper dry stint in COTA yet (which for someone who normally does several 50% races is very strange), I had no idea how the softs would last but I gambled on an undercut by pitting on lap 8. After the stops I was all over the back of Thm, whilst Reece had fallen off the face of the earth. So my only target at this point was trying to pass the Red Bull, who was seeming tentative on his new tyres, with mistakes creeping in. Would we have an epic brawl out to the flag to decide the race?

no lol

Thm was tentative on lap 16 in sector 1, combine that with a slightly creative line through the chicane from me and I had a run into the hairpin before the straight. I wanted to go for it because of my terrible exits off the hairpin prior - in fact I'd spent the last 6 laps behind him closing up slowly but surely, just to blow it off that corner (most notably lap 11 where I was inches off of death). I go for the move from less than a car length back, an audacious move but not strictly speaking a massive divebomb, baring in mind the big braking zone and open radius of the corner. Again I go for the inside, again I lock up, again I run a bit wide, again I go almost full lock to avoid a crash, again my rival gets wing damage, again I want to just fucking kill myself. The difference here though was that I did ask Thm about a thousand times in the discord whether he wanted me to give the place back, or even whether he was particularly annoyed by my move. He denied, claiming the retarded damage model was probably a bit more at fault, leaving me to coast home with a wholly undeserved and empty victory. Again, I must apologise for my actions as this is again not how I wanted to get the place in the slightest.
Unlike Reece, Thm got yellow damage (on the right side, even though I hit him on the left side lol). This put him pretty much 2 seconds off my pace and he was left to drop to P4.

On the last lap, I reached 76% on the rear left tyre, a bit of a scare but nothing that would stop me winning by 16.6 seconds post-penalties, or pre-penalties depending on your point of view (regarding that whole stewards enquiry).
Notable mentions go to @Aaron Shum for getting P2/1 on his home grand prix, @Haydn for getting a great P3/2 without controller vibration for the last 20 fuckin laps which is something I could never do, Thm for holding onto 4th/3rd, @Julien2395 for making my erratic driving look slightly better, @path1337 for an excellent p5 for yourself and @FeykN + @Rendo84 for 9th/11th on your respective debuts.

I'd also like to congratulate myself(?) and Haydn for winning the constructors championship here. But despite the success on paper for me at least in this race, I can't feel happy with how I ended up fucking 3 people over in the process. I vow in future I cannot let this happen again (just like I said after Bahrain, Canada and Belgium in fairness).
Either that, or me and Reece crash again in Mexico and I'll have to make a parody of this :p
GG everybody!

Reactions: FeykN

Thm786

S17 AOR PC F2 Champion
May 21, 2017
So

Pre-race : Before the race, I was just hoping that I would be able to stay in reasonable distance of our GOATS @SMEAJ and @Detainable

Qualy : Qualy went pretty well, managed to get P2 on quite a good lap (my pb online) less than a tenth behind @SMEAJ, very happy with that tbf

Race : The race start was great, James missed the braking point of the first corner so I took the lead, and immidiately created a little gap to the pack, which was unexpected as Reece and James looked to have pace over me before the race.

I pitted lap 9, a lap after James, so he caught up to me with this undercut. From here, I was maybe just a tad slower than him, but managed to defend, until that lap 16

Lap 16, at the hairpin before the main DRS straight in the 2nd sector, James went for a nice ambicious move, unfortunately, he touched me (on the left side of the car) and a part (of the right handside) of the front wing went off. What I think is that the game maybe gaveme the damage that you (@SMEAJ ] should have had, or it just fucked up with the damage model.

Anyway, then because of that wing I was loosing 1,5 to 2 sec a lap, so there was no point asking you to give me the place back. I tried my best to maybe keep my 2nd place but it was to much to handle, and I fell till 4th place.

Post-race : In the end, despite the result, which is a bit disapointing considering I could've win the race or at least finish 2nd, I am very happy that I was able to keep up with both of our front runners, James and Reece.

See you next next guys, hoping for better luck, again and again ;)

Last edited:

Julien2395

F1 Senna Equivalent
Jul 15, 2017
So

Pre-race : Before the race, I was just hoping that I would be able to stay in reasonable distance of our GOATS @SMEAJ and @Detainable

Qualy : Qualy went pretty well, managed to get P2 on quite a good lap (my pb online) less than a tenth behind @SMEAJ, very happy with that tbf

Race : The race start was great, James missed the braking point of the first corner so I took the lead, and immidiately created a little gap to the pack, which was unexpected as Reece and James looked to have pace over me before the race.

I pitted lap 9, a lap after James, so he caught up to me with this undercut. From here, I was maybe just a tad slower than him, but managed to defend, until that lap 16

Lap 16, at the hairpin before the main DRS straight in the 2nd sector, James went for a nice ambicious move, unfortunately, he touched me (on the left side of the car) and a part (of the right handside) of the front wing went off. What I think is that the game maybe gaveme the damage that you (@SMEAJ ] should have had, or it just fucked up with the damage model.

Anyway, then because of that wing I was loosing 1,5 to 2 sec a lap, so there was no point asking you to give me the place back. I tried my best to maybe keep my 2nd place but it was to much to handle, and I feel to 4th place.

Post-race : In the end, despite the result, which is a bit disapointing considering I could've win the race or at least finish 2nd, I am very happy that I was able to keep up with both of our front runners, James and Reece.

See you next next guys, hoping for better luck, again and again ;)

Tryhardmaster :p

Reactions: Thm786