Apr 28, 2017
Round 18 - Mexican Grand Prix
AOR F1 2017 Season 14

Race Information:
Date: Sunday 4th March 2018
Start Time: 8:00pm (UK time)
Circuit: Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez
Laps: 36

Please try to be online at least 10 minutes before the start time, and await the lobby invite from the League Coordinator and/or the lobby host. Also please ensure your internet connection is in an optimal state at the time of racing.

Notes:
Rules & regulations: Before you take to the track in the league race, make sure you are fully aware of the rules & regulations of the leagues. As a driver in our leagues, you are required to do your very best to ensure clean and fair racing at all times.

Lobby settings: If you are unsure about the lobby settings that will be used for the race, look here.

No-shows: If you are unable to attend the race, please inform the League Coordinator and leave a post in this thread BEFORE the race takes place. Note the rules of participation here.

Useful Links:
Results & Standings
League Rules
League Information
Race Calendar

Confirmed no-shows:
@Aaron Shum

Last edited:

SMEAJ

S14 AOR PC F4 Champion
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Aug 20, 2017
if i can do this race without crashing into someone thats a success

• Optimistic
Reactions: Duppy

Mr AlcoN

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jul 18, 2015
Hey guys!
Sry for not attending tonight but didn't make it home until now.
Would have been so fun to have race you but have to be next week!
Hopefully you all had a fun race!

Haydn

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
rFactor2 Coordinator
Dec 27, 2015
Q: First lap was average. Then the second lap was **** in 1st sector cause I looked up to see the time @Detainable had done and lose the rear end thru t3. Lost 3 tenths. then improved thru s2 despite that also being dreaful then thru s3 went purple. Shame I bottled s1 otherwise would have been in the fight for pole

R: Have a good start like i have been in all the practice races. Get alongside @Lunation and @Thm786. Then I can't really remember what happened it's all a blur. All I remember is I cut the corner to make sure I didn't hit anyone and then I look back and see a renault spnning. If that was cause of me I apologize but there was nothing I could do to avoid it.
After this me and Thm stay pretty much neck and neck until lap 12 where my tires just gave up. He then passes me and I loose the rear end thru the esses so @Julien2395 passes me. I then see everyone coming into the pits. I rush in behind them without my inters selected. At this point I slam on the brakes try to change it and think I end up on inters just before I get to the point where you can't change it so decided not to reverse to change it. I then see some blue tires in the pit box and FML.

After this I have an exciting lap of spinning and trying not to hit people. Ps: Sorry @only4win nothing i could do really, I was spinning and the car wasn't stopping. I then consider retiring but decide to stay and try to score points to reduce the amount thm gains on me. I get past elgo very illegally and was going to return the position but he left the session so I couldn't and having spoke about it now he doesn't care. I close on lunation till the end but can't get past. Ended up 8th.

Was very suprised I finished within 8 seconds of Thm some bad luck there, and a shame I won't be racing you next time out. Overall possibly one of the worst league races I've done this season (yes that is the 4th time I've said that, I'm not exactly improving as a driver).

Reactions: koldo

SMEAJ

S14 AOR PC F4 Champion
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Aug 20, 2017
Q: Solid banker lap. I knew I was going to have to improve to get pole. I was distracted by the crash of @FeykN on the 2nd lap (not that he can do much about that to be fair lol) and then put off again by him messaging me on my final lap in the middle sector, which would be just off pole. He's apologised since and since he's a new guy I'll let him off aha. Credit goes to @Detainable for the pole and @Lunation for being a tad too close for comfort. I also saw @Thm786 qualify on the SS for the first run, which would've probably seen you leapfrog into the lead after the first stint had you carried it through. Always hindsight, eh?

R: I have a great getaway, like is routine procedure at this point, and get into P1. I know the rain will come and that Reece will have sublime pace so I knew I had to get out what gap I could in the first stint. My teammate @Haydn gets P3, as Jamie seems to fall off the face of the earth at this point of the race for me.

As the laps go on, I pull out of Reece's DRS and can focus into conserving tyres as I know the dry-inters crossover is going to be up and around puncture territory. Lap 13 was several laps too early for inters which I knew at the time, but I couldn't risk a puncture as I was at 75%. Maybe staying out an extra lap was worth the risk. Haydn accidentally put on wet tyres which elevated Thm into P3.

Because the inters were so slow initially, Reece got caught in @elgo and @Chicane who were on dries early in that stint which increased my gap from about 5 seconds to 7. Through the rest of the stint I pulled away a further 4 seconds roughly, to my surprise baring in mind my normally terrible wet pace on the wheel. Fortunately there were no puncture risks in the stint, but I stayed out a lap too long on the wets. Combine that with being held in the pits, and a couple of "inventive" moves by @Rendo84 to get out of my way, the gap was shrunk to just 6 seconds. With 10 laps to go, and Reece surely to be quicker in the full wet conditions on his pad, it was down to be a nailbiting finale.

It wasn't. I just steadily increased the gap to about 11 seconds, and then just won. Nice to get a race win I feel I deserved for once lol, probably in terms of raw concentration required and the consistent pace my greatest drive of the season. Well done to Reece for extending this whole rivalry narrative, and to @Julien2395 for rising from the depths of hell to finish a great 3rd place.

Onto Brazil everybody!

Julien2395

F1 Senna Equivalent
Jul 15, 2017
Q: We all know that.

R: I played it careful at the start, I was in such a ''careful'' mode i even missed the lights XD
Entering turns 1, 2 and 3 I saw cars going off/hitting each other EVERYWHERE and passed like 5 of them within a few seconds. I went side-by-side with @koldo as well! @Detainable No divebombs involved this time ;)

Then I overtook @PiekarzPotato, and all the other guys which I'm too lazy to tag. After the first lap i found myself in P8!
Then I continued my way to get higher up the order, passing @only4win and @elgo with some screenfreezes and all that good stuff.
Then i chased down @Haydn and @Thm786 pretty nicely and quickly, who were battling which allowed me to close in 1-to-2 seconds per lap, and by the end of Lap 12 i caught them... still battling... anyway, i passed @Haydn with a few switchback lines in the final sector, right before the moment we all 3 pitted. It turned out we pitted 3 laps too early, but @Thm786 and I didn;t loose too much time. @Haydn sadly bottled his MFD. With it being 3 laps too early, I got passed by a lot of cars including @Lunation and @only4win. But quite quickly the tyres came towards me/us and I managed to pass @Lunation in a weird way: He clipped my front tyres and went like straight on, so I took the position using my normal Line. I then closed down @Thm786, who got a puncture right before pitting to the Wets, which meant I was up into P3!
Then I took it easy and drove towards the Finish line to take P3 in quite an enjoyable race. Thanks to the guys that congratulated me with my podium! :D

Cya guys next week!

PS:
I didn't plan to do this, but here are COMMENTATED Highlights! (No Commentary version will follow tomorrow, for the ones that hate my English lol)

Julien2395

F1 Senna Equivalent
Jul 15, 2017
Since there's no game Audio, I've taken the Mexico Highlights as ''practice'' for my End-Of-Season Montage :D

Enjoy it!

SMEAJ

S14 AOR PC F4 Champion
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Aug 20, 2017
On the topic of EOS Montages, if anyone wants me to make them one for about 1st April kinda time then I would be willing to, providing I can be bothered at the time.

koldo

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Apr 28, 2017
Q: Decided to change my setup in the last minute as I saw it was going to rain. All I ended up by doing so was getting slower in the quali as well as in the rainy conditions...fml.:banghead:
Nice to see how close the quali was nevertheless.

R: Somehow I knew that I would get fw damage on the first lap and of course I did, so my first stint on the US was destroyed. Managed to judge the first cross-over point quite good and therefore leveled out the time I lost by changing my fw. Had massiv oversteer on my setup in the wet conditions, so I was loosing time left right and center. By the time we changed to the wet tires nothing changed in terms of oversteer, so I kept loosing time to @Julien2395 and my teammate @Thm786 was catching me. He was only close enough to try a move in the last lap going into the stadium section which I managed to defend.

Zerd

S16 AOR PC F4 Champion
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2017
Q: went way better than I thought it would for once, I didn't bottle either of my runs and just squeaked out pole, that might be the closest top 3 of quali this season @SMEAJ @Lunation I had a few more tenths in my last run but I didn't want to risk an invalidation.

R: I knew that James would overtake me either T1 or before it because of his mega low wings setup and I was right, combine that with the fact I didn't completely get the perfect launch as I missed the lights by about a tenth. I had the pace to stay with James as I showed in the first few laps but, knowing the rain was coming in major puncture zone for me I opted to back off and really conserve my tyres, I didn't want to be following him and making my tyres worse, thankfully it payed off, coming into the stadium section on I think lap 13 I got the red indicator and had 82% tyres, right as I think it's just about enough to switch, it's too early by a few laps, but I can't take the risk on another lap, I struggled alot this race in the wet, idk if it was the setup or me just not driving well but I felt super slow, in both inter and wet stints, I would keep pace with James for about 2-4 laps, then he would slowly pull away by half a second a lap, I was had to conserve my inters because I was risking a puncture there, got the crossover perfectly and gained about 6 seconds on James, after that it was just a really lonely run to the finish, I didn't push all that hard, but I was still opening the gap to @Julien2395 which was nice to see, James was the clear fastest guy there as he has been the last few races, and he's only going to get faster.

Reactions: SMEAJ

Chicane

F1 Reserve Driver
Feb 2, 2014
40 laps of TT isn't enough practice at all to compete with you guys!
Start was decent for once. Since I started near the back I took it very careful entering turn 1 and started pushing from there. Avoided the mayhem. I was the slowest finisher eventually. 1 point for not destroying the car.

One weird moment from my pov that I feel I need to elaborate on: in lap 13 I tried to lap @Rendo84 but he simply went for the apex, which I didn't expect. Even though there was contact I didn't feel like waiting. Then @elgo slammed his car in a gap that from my pov didn't really exist, the very next corner. Again contact but he kept his position.

Last edited:

Zerd

S16 AOR PC F4 Champion
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2017
Start was decent for once. Since I started near the back I took it very careful entering turn 1 and started pushing from there. Avoided the mayhem. I was the slowest finisher eventually. 1 point for not destroying the car.

One weird moment from my pov that I feel I need to elaborate on: in lap 13 I tried to lap @Rendo84 but he simply went for the apex, which I didn't expect. Even though there was contact I didn't feel like waiting. Then @elgo slammed his car in a gap that from my pov didn't really exist, the very next corner. Again contact but he kept his position.

TT isn't really that good of practice, simming qualis and maybe a few practices races will give you way more prep than TT will since the car feels much different in there, that's what most of us do

Haydn

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
rFactor2 Coordinator
Dec 27, 2015

Yeah as Detain said TT isn't great. I've learn tho cause of the delta and ofcourse exact same conditions every lap it is really useful to learn the track and how to drive it. Also ofcourse any setup changes are almost immediate and alot easier to make, so the major bulk of the setup should be done in there.
Then ofcourse go into a practice session (I'm sure you know you can start an online lobby and make a practice session yourself), and do some heavy fuel running and differnet tyre compunds, I tend to use this to learn how to manage tire wear and how to drive on worn tires; whilst also making minor setup changes if required.

And lastly on Sunday's there's a group of us who will start practicing from about 5-6pm onwards, so if you ever need some race start and qauli practice we're usually around.

Zerd

S16 AOR PC F4 Champion
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2017
Yeah as Detain said TT isn't great. I've learn tho cause of the delta and ofcourse exact same conditions every lap it is really useful to learn the track and how to drive it. Also ofcourse any setup changes are almost immediate and alot easier to make, so the major bulk of the setup should be done in there.
Then ofcourse go into a practice session (I'm sure you know you can start an online lobby and make a practice session yourself), and do some heavy fuel running and differnet tyre compunds, I tend to use this to learn how to manage tire wear and how to drive on worn tires; whilst also making minor setup changes if required.

And lastly on Sunday's there's a group of us who will start practicing from about 5-6pm onwards, so if you ever need some race start and qauli practice we're usually around.
the only thing id say about practice is the tyre wear is broken for some reason, so dont base your strategy off high fuel running in practice, its nice to get a feel for the car though

Julien2395

F1 Senna Equivalent
Jul 15, 2017
the only thing id say about practice is the tyre wear is broken for some reason, so dont base your strategy off high fuel running in practice, its nice to get a feel for the car though
Nah Grand Prix mode a better way to practice as you don't have (a lot) of bugs there.

SMEAJ

S14 AOR PC F4 Champion
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Aug 20, 2017
Contrary to the views of others doing GP Mode and Multiplayer sessions, I believe that playing Football Manager 2017 is actually the best practice to do because thats what I spent most of the run-up to this race playing and yet I was still more competitive than I was when I used to practice the F1 game for most of the weekend back in the Bahrain-Hungary kinda period.