PC - Round 1 - Australian Grand Prix [15/04/2018 08:00PM] | ApexOnlineRacing.com

PC Round 1 - Australian Grand Prix [15/04/2018 08:00PM]

TheVerenzak

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Round 1 - Australian Grand Prix
AOR Hype Energy F1 Leagues - Season 15

Race Information:
Date: Sunday 15th April 2018
Start Time: 8:00pm (UK time)
Circuit: Melbourne Grand Prix Circuit
Laps: 29

Please try to be online at least 10 minutes before the start time, and await the lobby invite from the League Coordinator and/or the lobby host. Also please ensure your internet connection is in an optimal state at the time of racing.

Notes:
Rules & regulations: Before you take to the track in the league race, make sure you are fully aware of the rules & regulations of the leagues. As a driver in our leagues, you are required to do your very best to ensure clean and fair racing at all times.

Lobby settings: If you are unsure about the lobby settings that will be used for the race, look here.

No-shows: If you are unable to attend the race, please inform the League Coordinator and leave a post in this thread BEFORE the race takes place. Note the rules of participation here.

Useful Links:
Results & Standings
League Rules
League Information
Race Calendar

Confirmed no-shows:
- @Snook
- @Niek van Gelder

Last edited by a moderator:

Snook

F1 Schumacher Equivalent
Dec 16, 2017
Not the way I would have wanted to start the season but I'm going to be out of town between 14-22 April. I'm going to miss this race and potentially the next one but after that I am going to be fully committed to the rest of the season.

@Jipper

• Informative
Reactions: Jipper

Jipper

S14 AOR PC F6 Champion
Premium Member
May 24, 2017
Not the way I would have wanted to start the season but I'm going to be out of town between 14-22 April. I'm going to miss this race and potentially the next one but after that I am going to be fully committed to the rest of the season.

@Jipper
No problem, Thanks for letting me know,

Niek van Gelder

Formula 4 1st Driver
Sep 29, 2015
Worst timing ever but I’m going on a city trip with school between the 15th and 19th of April, so I won’t be able to make the first race. It’s a pity since I really like this track and was feeling very confident, also I wasn’t able to race here last season... But anyway, it’s a no show for me unfortunately

• Informative

Jipper

S14 AOR PC F6 Champion
Premium Member
May 24, 2017
Worst timing ever but I’m going on a city trip with school between the 15th and 19th of April, so I won’t be able to make the first race. It’s a pity since I really like this track and was feeling very confident, also I wasn’t able to race here last season... But anyway, it’s a no show for me unfortunately
That's a shame but no problem. Thanks for letting me know

RichyB

Reigning S14 AOR PC Assist 2 Champion
Oct 16, 2017
Hello everyone, I'll be hosting a practice lobby at 6pm UK time (2 hours before the race).
This lobby consists of a 45 minute practice session, short qualifying and a 50% race in dynamic conditions with damage off.
In terms of car picking it will be first joined first served.
I'll also leave the session open for friends to join so you can join at any point (6:45 for qualifying and 6:55 for the race).
I host these practice sessions basicly before every race, but I'll leave a message on the forums every time as a reminder.

Add me on steam if you want to join: One Legged Richy
Or: https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198015493215/

Jipper

S14 AOR PC F6 Champion
Premium Member
May 24, 2017
Hope your all ready for tonight,

Personally i suck at Australia, always have, it was my joint worst finishing position last season of 7th, so i dont expect much today, expecially looking at the time trial times,

Make sure you are online in plenty of time if possible! cya tonight

Reactions: Rienk

trumpa94

Formula 3 Test Driver
Jun 25, 2017
Had awesome race until L25. Was in P3, just behind Klauuiii and was close for couple of laps. Then came L25 T3, I saw teunvanberkel flashing infront of me, I lost my concentration went little bit to aggresive on the throtle and dmgd my front wing. After that I was just f it. I am going to the slicks, bcs I had to pit anyways. So, my race in 2 gifs:

https://media0.giphy.com/media/9Y5BbDSkSTiY8/giphy.gif

"wild Force India appears"
1523824294079.png

and good job Ping2High for managing to stay with me for so many laps, for sure it wasnt easy in dirty air and water spray

RichyB

Reigning S14 AOR PC Assist 2 Champion
Oct 16, 2017
Had a great comeback race! Shouldn't have been the case, because I started P2, but I really didn't feel comfortable at the start of the race with intermediate conditions.
Sorry to @Thomas Schmidt for the incident, I hope I didn't compromise your race to much.

My first 2 laps:

DemoN

Former Super Mod
Premium Member
Aug 11, 2016
Does stuff like switchbacks count or is that just defending rather than overtaking. It's technically a re-overtake ;)
A car gaining a position is all I'm looking for here :D

Rienk

AOR iRacing GTE S10 Pro/Am Champion
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2017
New season, same post-race essays!

Pre-race
I don't like Albert Park and have never liked Albert Park. I've never finished a league race around here both in F1 and rFactor2, so I was expecting it all to end in shambles.

Qualifying (P12)
1st lap got invalidated at the fast chicane. 2nd lap was decent, but still not really happy with it. 3rd lap was pure ****. 4th lap I was purple after the 2nd sector, but binned it at the exit of the fast chicane, so really got only 1 flying lap, so P12 it is.

Race (P6 / I -> I)
I have barely raced with anyone in this split other than @Kiinako, so naturally the trust wasn't entirely there yet. I was being VERY careful towards the next corner. @Kiinako seemed to have a shocker of a start, so I had to try and avoid him and @Jipper (I think) almost spinning because he had to dodge as well. I tried to find my place in all of that, but there wasn't really one. I ended up getting a tap from the side as @Dazzy Oz as he was speeding past which almost ended with me sending @Jipper into another spin, but luckily no damage was done. When I got to turn one, it appeared I got in the way of a Haas trying to overtake a slow-moving Sauber. This meant I got another tap on the side, but still no damage done. Now, being successfully through turn 1, the race could finally start.

After turn 1 it was just tip-toeing around a lot. Lots of people were going slowly and side-by-side everywhere, so I just wanted to stay in the back and just not lose any positions I didn't need to. After being super careful for a few laps and exchanging position with @Kiinako a few times and (be it kinda rudely) overtaking @Dazzy Oz at the start of lap 3, I found myself in P10, in front of @Kiinako and behind @Jipper. At this point I just needed to keep @Kiinako behind me and try to close the gap to @Jipper. I started to find some confidence over the next few laps, as I hadn't really done any rain practice beforehand. I started building the gap to @Kiinako and closing in to @Jipper, who, by the looks of it, was having a battle of his own going on.

Once I caught up to the back of @Jipper, he pitted pretty much straight after. I decided to try and push for 1 lap, pit and hope that @Jipper had either a bad outlap or traffic to deal with. Interestingly, I came out of the pits alongside @FraGioco9, holding the position through the inside of T1 and the outside of T2. I guessed that @Jipper was probably only a little bit behind. Interestingly, after a bit I really started losing my form. I was getting way more oversteer than expected and thus, once @Jipper had overtaken @FraGioco9, he was catching up to me. He tried for an overtake after I got a shocking run through T5 by going down my inside for T6. I successfully did a switchback on him and held the position though.

After this I gained some confidence back and started to maintain the gap again. A few laps later, it looked like @Jipper went off on the exit of the fast chicane and it was now @PiekarzPotato behind me. A bit later he tried to go down my inside through the T9-T10 chicane, but I held it around the outside. This did however mean that we were now side-by-side going towards the fast chicane. I took the inside line, and it looked like @PiekarzPotato was unable to hold the outside line, so I repassed him exiting the chicane with @RichyB getting a free pass on him as well. A few laps later, I get a shocking run through the T9-T10 chicane, @RichyB was now going down my inside towards the fast chicane. I tried to take a similar line to before, but I overshot by a little and got a bad run out of the chicane. This allowed @PiekarzPotato to shape up a move as well. He went around the outside through T12 with me trying to hold the inside. As we were both straightening our cars we both got a moment over slight oversteer which caused me to get a tap on the side and almost need to catch a slide. I tried to fight for position for a bit, but backed off because my tires were dying.

At this point people were gambling to go onto the ultrasofts. I was also kind of pondering it, but decided against it and to wait until further info about the weather. This meant that I just drove on on inters that were just a little bit too worn, so I was basically sliding around the track. In the last lap we hit the cross-over point for the track, which means that the last few corners i was just sliding through. Managed to bring it home in P7 which became P6 after penalties. All in all not a bad result at all.

Seeing more than 50% of the split within one second in quali is a really good sign. I also didn't notice any weird driving during quali or the race. Blue flags seemed to be well taken care of and the getting out of the way during quali was also solid. All in all I'm very happy with the current state of this split, and I'm sure it's going to make for some great races. Till next week!

Kreosteijn

Formula 4 1st Driver
Sep 10, 2017
Well that certainly was an eventful race.

I started 11th, but after the first two laps I was up to 4th. On lap 3 I bottled the exit of the last corner and put my car in the wall. After pitting for a new wing I dropped down to 16th, but in the next 11 laps I managed to work myself back up to 6th. By lap 21 my inters were at 80% wear and Jeff told me it was time for dry tyres, so I took the gamble. This was clearly the wrong decision, as I finished a lap down in 15th place :lol:

Highlights:

DackeBerg

Formula 4 Reserve Driver
Aug 27, 2017
Australia is probably one of the tracks I'm good at. I've put down a lot of hours on it. Quali was kinda meh. Had a lap where I was 0.600s up but got a lagspike and ran wide but I ended up p3.

Race: had a pretty good start and was p2 after t1. Later I overtook @Klauuiii who was in p1 I think. After that I made a big gap and nothing happened until lap 27/29 when I decided to pit for US. After the pit stop @Ping2High was like 1 sec behind or even closer. Thought I had made a mistake by going to US but I think it was 50/50 wets or slicks. I was able to make a small gap and held p1 until the end.

Looking forward to next race. China is one of my weakest track :cry:

Last edited:
  • Winner

Flaf

Semi-Pro Karter
Aug 29, 2017
Got disqualified in qualifying; I really didn't want to come back into the track and ruin someone flyer so I was waiting for the right moment to get back on the track...

Started from the back of the grid and it didn't take long to start making up places; here's the first 5 laps of my race.

I got more than I could have ever asked for from this race. This was my first AOR/League race ever so my mind set going in was to get some points today. Somehow after 29 laps I ended up P3; very exciting and I can't wait for the next one.

Kiinako

S14 AOR PC F7 Champion
Sep 20, 2017
Grazie ragazzi, absolute shitshow

I don't even remember what place I finished in Quali, but it was **** and I couldn't get a decent lap.

Race 8th (I/I)

I actually managed to stall the car in the beginning, and it went downhill from there on. Since I didn't hear anything about any rain, I got a nice surprise when the race started, so I mangled some kind of a setup, and it kind of worked, but probably not really. Basically nothing went my way, and for some reason, even a broken wing didn't impair my racing. So I hit off half my wing at like lap 24, and went on to finish on basically dead tires (they were at 87% wear). I hope the next races get better.