PC Round 11 - Hungarian Grand Prix [07/01/18 8:00pm]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rienk

Premium Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2017
Wow seems like heavy desync.
Was about Lap 13 or 14 at the main straight.

You were driving like a being on crack and got overtaken by everyone.
In those laps I went from 11th to 8th due to overtaking people in the pits and someone who had left. I wasn't even near anyone on track, so definitely sounds like desync.

Partyfuchs

Formula 3 2nd Driver
Feb 22, 2015
In those laps I went from 11th to 8th due to overtaking people in the pits and someone who had left. I wasn't even near anyone on track, so definitely sounds like desync.
Ye seems like this. Was so frustrating after being on P3.
See you net week.

• Friendly
Reactions: Rienk

winchy33

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Jan 22, 2017
Congrats @Sjoelbakkie, a good win on your debut (y)

That was a bit of a classic! Got a good start up to 7th, but seemed to losing the back end a lot this race. Ended up behind @michal_miletin, who defended superbly for about 6 laps straight. Just couldn't get past him on turns 1 or 2. I stopped for Super Softs and was praying the rain would come. Things fell into place perfectly, was p6 as we all switched to Inters.

Then I made the mistake that cost me points. I had a messy lap, and saw @Smu3l3y in front of me pit for wets, so i thought i'd follow and take the risk. The track never seemed to get wet enough for everyone else to stop and my times were so slow. Dropped down to P12, my final position.

I was on the radio telling Charlie the track was undriveable and I was already getting my gazebo out for the red flags, But they never came ;) I took a risk, it didn't pay off, onto Belgium for probably another wet one

Rienk

Premium Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2017
Qualy (P11):
Nothing to brag about, quite a shoddy lap, in the lead of the fresh-tire squad again which is OK I guess.

Race (P7, M/S/I):
Since I had no expectations, because I'm really crap around this track, I went for another VERY bold strategy. My plan was to start on the mediums, and take those all the way until the rain period. As it turned out, lap 1 was dramatic enough for me to lose part of my front wing, so I went to plan B, which was to go to soft tires as soon as I could without them being completely ruined at that time, and repair my wing. After this I knew I lost quite some time to my original plan, and that I had way too much fuel, especially with rain coming up. So I turned the fuel mix to 3, and kept it there for multiple laps. This ended in quite some fastest laps until my fuel started to run out, so I turned it back to 2.

Then, when rain started to hit, I spun out on my in lap to inters, essentially giving my position away for free to @winchy33. Then after pitting, I had a tough time. I was never very good in rain, and this race was no different. I was struggeling a lot, and I noticed that @acerees had way more pace than me in the rain and was catching up fast. Luckily due to him having what seemed like some tankslappers, I was able to stay in front for a while. After some more laps I overtook @LolFish42 with a switchback in turn 1 after him running wide, and I hoped that he'd hold up @acerees long enough for me to stay in front. He didn't manage to do that though, and a few laps later @acerees was on my tail again. At this point, @Smu3l3y had spun off in turn 1. I didn't see that ahead of time, and as he was rejoining the track sideways, I ran into him. @acerees then went around me and ghosted though @Smu3l3y. I was pretty frustrated, but I though that @acerees was gonna overtake me eventually anyways, so I settled down and brought the car home in P7.

Next race in Belgium. Love that track, still the only F1 track I've been to in my entire life. Hoping for a dry race and some good results there. See you guys next week.

PS: Gratz to @Sjoelbakkie for taking the victory in his debut race. At least there is one of us who can take the Dutch flag to the podium ;)

Putttee

Formula 3 Reserve Driver
Sep 11, 2016
Well to be fair, I did offer you the option of a move before Xmas and you were clear you wanted to stay. It's nobody else's fault you aren't competitive, this is a hard league as you can see from the range of most people's results. If we are off it, we get punished. If we don't practice, we pay for it.

And I will reiterate what I said to you, you are welcome in this league, we have raced seasons before and you do not quit if you are uncompetitive, you get on terms. Going gets tough, etc.

Speaking from personal experience I've had seasons where I've been handed my arse every week and still I lined up. Treat the sessions as a TT, start on fresh tyres and start trying not to get lapped or best your own qualifying or set a new personal FL or go for consistency. When you race someone, race for that position.

That's all I have to say.
Not blaming anyone @Jay and I appreciate that message before xmas . Its just facts that Im not up to par at all in 2017 and I should have swallowed my pride and downgraded to 8 from the start but doubt the end result would have been different. Me and 2017 arent friends and its just not fun and Im all about fun and it will hopefully be fun again.

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014

The best start

Robust @Jay laps 11 to 13

Good stuff @Sjoelbakkie , @Kiinako
Pretty sure that move through T1-2 on Lap 12 was desync, I'll upload my footage. I felt the contact in T12 and there was one instance where my driver threw his hand up. Mostly I was focused on where I could attack @michal_miletin (Warpy) as I'd watched @winchy33 having a good old tussle like he mentioned.

Reactions: Neil Bywater

LukeBin010

Formula 4 1st Driver
Oct 3, 2017
I'm very sad.. 2nd in qualy, got stolen the pole for nothing. Then i was very happy because i knew i had the pace to do a good result on the podium. After a bad start i was 3rd or 4th I guess, then after a couple of corners i went on the grass, hit the wall and yellow front wing. the I came back on track but with a lot of understeering so on the first corner I hit @acerees (sorry about that). I waited for him to pass and when we were back in race we were like 15 seconds behind the group. However i knew i could anyway do a good race but forgot to select "yes" instead of "automatic" for the wing repair. of course they didn't. I tried to race 2 laps with the yellow wing and hard tires but was impossible. so I decided to pit again.. 2 pits in 3 laps... on the exit I already had the first back on me with blue flag. impossible to do anything so I retired. so unfortunate.

• Friendly
Reactions: Steve Jackson

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Q: 12th
Probably my maximum at this track but the setup was a late change that felt better in the offline Merc. Was a bit loose in the Ferrari. Was on the first run, thankfully I did two hot laps so I binned them for fresh SS. Three tenths between me and 8th, fine.

R: 11th SS/M/I (13,whenever)
Still a bit open to debate on the finish with the Stewards Panel with @Smu3l3y.

I enjoyed the first stint, the tyres went as far as I wanted despite the looser feel to the setup and it didn't seem to affect the wear. Ran as high as 7th in that stint, despite picking up a light green right front wing in the T1 squeeze (may even have been under braking into T2, whatever).

The highlight of the stint was the chase for @michal_miletin (Warpy)'s position as he battled with @winchy33 with me on the coat-tails looking to capitalise. It was a pretty intense few laps and we were wheel to wheel for a long time and this is when @Neil Bywater happened along the back of us. I'd sat for a couple of laps waiting for winchy and Warpy to come together, when I realised they were deep into it, I had to try to find a way past. If I remember rightly I think I got past winchy either in T7 or T12 and then I understood why he couldn't get past Warpy. I tried for a couple of laps and was aware Neil was closing but knew the tyre window was the sensible way out in the end. I did have a flashback every lap I passed the pit entry with winchy in front....deja-vu :)

I'd practiced the one-stop so I threw caution to the rain. Retrospectively, the right choice was M/I but I pitted for the M anyway and prayed the rain would be light or delayed. It doesn't rain in Hungary at that time of year! Damn game. Can't remember the lap I pitted for the I but it wasn't time the first time I passed the pits with rain but by the next lap it was overdue.

So, my wet practice I pretty much did on track. Apologies to @Poetic D who probably closed down a 20 second gap or pitted in front of me and had to come through. I'd got past the ghost of @Clint58 and was running 11th. It probably took a couple of laps for me to make the big howler for Poetic to come through and I think I did twice and recovered a tankslapper as well. Funnily enough, once he got past I got into a rhythm. I must've passed the retired @Partyfuchs to get 11th back and then it was all pretty much about praying for incidents in front to get in the points.

I think I did enough to earn a point.

Partyfuchs

Formula 3 2nd Driver
Feb 22, 2015
Probably my maximum at this track but the setup was a late change that felt better in the offline Merc. Was a bit loose in the Ferrari. Was on the first run, thankfully I did two hot laps so I binned them for fresh SS. Three tenths between me and 8th, fine.

R: 11th SS/M/I (13,whenever)
Still a bit open to debate on the finish with the Stewards Panel with @Smu3l3y.

I enjoyed the first stint, the tyres went as far as I wanted despite the looser feel to the setup and it didn't seem to affect the wear. Ran as high as 7th in that stint, despite picking up a light green right front wing in the T1 squeeze (may even have been under braking into T2, whatever).

The highlight of the stint was the chase for @michal_miletin (Warpy)'s position as he battled with @winchy33 with me on the coat-tails looking to capitalise. It was a pretty intense few laps and we were wheel to wheel for a long time and this is when @Neil Bywater happened along the back of us. I'd sat for a couple of laps waiting for winchy and Warpy to come together, when I realised they were deep into it, I had to try to find a way past. If I remember rightly I think I got past winchy either in T7 or T12 and then I understood why he couldn't get past Warpy. I tried for a couple of laps and was aware Neil was closing but knew the tyre window was the sensible way out in the end. I did have a flashback every lap I passed the pit entry with winchy in front....deja-vu :)

I'd practiced the one-stop so I threw caution to the rain. Retrospectively, the right choice was M/I but I pitted for the M anyway and prayed the rain would be light or delayed. It doesn't rain in Hungary at that time of year! Damn game. Can't remember the lap I pitted for the I but it wasn't time the first time I passed the pits with rain but by the next lap it was overdue.

So, my wet practice I pretty much did on track. Apologies to @Poetic D who probably closed down a 20 second gap or pitted in front of me and had to come through. I'd got past the ghost of @Clint58 and was running 11th. It probably took a couple of laps for me to make the big howler for Poetic to come through and I think I did twice and recovered a tankslapper as well. Funnily enough, once he got past I got into a rhythm. I must've passed the retired @Partyfuchs to get 11th back and then it was all pretty much about praying for incidents in front to get in the points.

I think I did enough to earn a point.
At Belgium Ferrari will be back!

• Winner

winchy33

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Jan 22, 2017
If I remember rightly I think I got past winchy either in T7 or T12 and then I understood why he couldn't get past Warpy. I tried for a couple of laps and was aware Neil was closing but knew the tyre window was the sensible way out in the end. I did have a flashback every lap I passed the pit entry with winchy in front....deja-vu :)

You snuck past at 29:50 at sector 1, I ran off line trying to get Warpy. Probably the most intense wheel to wheel few laps I've raced all season. Good job by all of us to avoid contact

• Agree

Neil Bywater

Premium Member
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 20, 2014
Pretty sure that move through T1-2 on Lap 12 was desync, I'll upload my footage. I felt the contact in T12 and there was one instance where my driver threw his hand up. Mostly I was focused on where I could attack @michal_miletin (Warpy) as I'd watched @winchy33 having a good old tussle like he mentioned.
Good to see it and I was annoyed. As you can prob guess, 'Robust' was a euphemism.
Felt like you drove me off track exit of T1 which i didn't do to you the next lap.

But if you look why I was even in that position was ultimately my fault as I lost 1 second on my pit launch and that would have put me ahead of you three

Rienk

Premium Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2017
Look @7:20 for an airborne McLaren

@Partyfuchs @10:15 you can see the desync, as I'm guessing that wasn't actually you going so slow. You can also see it in the top left, as you only appear there as I pass you.

Last edited:

Kane Jr

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2017
Late on the report here since after the race ended I went into work.

Qualy: Had the opportunity to get three runs in, but bottled third flying lap by cutting T4 and finished the session in P8.

Race: Got a pretty clean start. I saw @LukeBin010 got a little sideways exiting T1 on the opening lap, but I was happy he managed to save it, because had he not I don't think I would've had anywhere to go except right into him.

@LolFish42 @Smu3l3y myself and @Partyfuchs were all bunched up by lap 2 or 3 for a bit as overtaking here is really difficult and none of us really had any overtaking opportunities. Contact was made with myself and @Partyfuchs a few laps later.
In early race i had great battles with @Kane Jr . After someone crushed you i had to overtake you on the outside to avoid a crash and had to give the position back to you becuase of illegal overtaking to avoid a penalty.
Thanks for letting me pass on the straight again if that was your intention!
On my screen we made contact and I nearly spun so I thought you were giving the position back, but I couldn't fully get it back with the line I had when we were side by side. My first thought was desync.

I caught up with Warpy who was still on his M and got flashbacks from Russia... I went for the overtake exiting T1 on L20 and he came across my line and nearly took off my front wing. I wasn't happy.

The rain came earlier than I thought and I had trouble switching the tyre with my wheel's analogue stick from M to S so I got distracted by that and got caught speeding entering the pit lane for a 5 second time penalty.

I made my final stop on L21 for I. It had me wondering if the SS would've worked for the second stint. I served my penalty on this stop, but kept position somehow. I seemed to be making okay time in the rain, but choked the big one on L28 giving up P4. I caught back up, but just ran out of time and held onto P5.

Sjoelbakkie

Formula 4 Test Driver
Dec 21, 2017
Late on the report here since after the race ended I went into work.

Qualy: Had the opportunity to get three runs in, but bottled third flying lap by cutting T4 and finished the session in P8.

Race: Got a pretty clean start. I saw @LukeBin010 got a little sideways exiting T1 on the opening lap, but I was happy he managed to save it, because had he not I don't think I would've had anywhere to go except right into him.

@LolFish42 @Smu3l3y myself and @Partyfuchs were all bunched up by lap 2 or 3 for a bit as overtaking here is really difficult and none of us really had any overtaking opportunities. Contact was made with myself and @Partyfuchs a few laps later.

On my screen we made contact and I nearly spun so I thought you were giving the position back, but I couldn't fully get it back with the line I had when we were side by side. My first thought was desync.

I caught up with Warpy who was still on his M and got flashbacks from Russia... I went for the overtake exiting T1 on L20 and he came across my line and nearly took off my front wing. I wasn't happy.

The rain came earlier than I thought and I had trouble switching the tyre with my wheel's analogue stick from M to S so I got distracted by that and got caught speeding entering the pit lane for a 5 second time penalty.

I made my final stop on L21 for I. It had me wondering if the SS would've worked for the second stint. I served my penalty on this stop, but kept position somehow. I seemed to be making okay time in the rain, but choked the big one on L28 giving up P4. I caught back up, but just ran out of time and held onto P5.

2 stopping SS could´ve certainly worked. My strategy was 15 laps SS then 20 S. I think people outside of the top 10 could´ve made a 1 stop S with the Intermediates coming on lap 21.

• Useful

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Good to see it and I was annoyed. As you can prob guess, 'Robust' was a euphemism.
Felt like you drove me off track exit of T1 which i didn't do to you the next lap.

But if you look why I was even in that position was ultimately my fault as I lost 1 second on my pit launch and that would have put me ahead of you three

Like I said in Discord chat, the arrows are definitely red so my bad but in fairness I didn't really notice them too much as I was focused in front and I definitely didn't make any chopping or swiping moves I just took the line I took every time.

acerees

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 15, 2014
Had woeful race my PC had some sort of weird glitch where I could hear a windows noise indicating a USB item had been removed and then it would then indicate seconds later that the USB device was plugged back in. Each time it did this my PC lagged, it lagged about 1 in 3 laps and I lost between 1-2 seconds each lag spike. The first lag spike was at T1 were I entered in P7 and exited in P11... then I got taken out by @LukeBin010 which he has apologised for and waited but that was poor driving dude. So being so far down the field I had to come back and try and work out a strategy to get some points. I caught up with @Putttee and despite how much faster I was than him he decided to defend against me... then on turn 3 (the flat out one) he had run wide on T2 and kept it on the outside of the turn then because of his angle he turned into T4 and came off the accelerator or broke mid corner leaving me no where to go than up his rear end leaving me with a damaged wing. This was shocking driving @Putttee you can't drive like that and if my recording hadn't broken because my PC had crashed I would have been really considering if this was stewards enquire material. So I stopped either lap 7/8 and decieded to put on SS and hope that the rain would come by lap 20. Thankfully it did come around then and I was able to go onto the inter's and came out in 9th place I think. Then I was able to get my head down and pass a few people during the rain. I think I was the fastest in the rain as I reduced the deficit to the leaders during the wet stint as well. the lag I had from my PC was so painful during this race that if I hadn't had it then I believe I would have had a very good result and possibly would have not been taken out. Just happy in the end to have got 6th

• Friendly

Sjoelbakkie

Formula 4 Test Driver
Dec 21, 2017

Like I said in Discord chat, the arrows are definitely red so my bad but in fairness I didn't really notice them too much as I was focused in front and I definitely didn't make any chopping or swiping moves I just took the line I took every time.
Man that was some close racing! I can definitely see the red arrows and from @Neil Bywater perspective it looked like he got held up a few times, But I think it´s to be expected from Hungary as I had the same problem with him the first few laps. The track is just so narrow you can´t even get 3 cars alongside eachother.

Status
Not open for further replies.