PC - Round 15 - Malaysian Grand Prix [04/02/2018 08:00PM] | ApexOnlineRacing.com

PC Round 15 - Malaysian Grand Prix [04/02/2018 08:00PM]

TheVerenzak

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Round 15 - Malaysian Grand Prix
AOR F1 2017 Season 14

Race Information:
Date: Sunday 4th February 2018
Start Time: 8:00pm (UK time)
Circuit: Sepang International Circuit
Laps: 28

Please try to be online at least 10 minutes before the start time, and await the lobby invite from the League Coordinator and/or the lobby host. Also please ensure your internet connection is in an optimal state at the time of racing.

Notes:
Rules & regulations: Before you take to the track in the league race, make sure you are fully aware of the rules & regulations of the leagues. As a driver in our leagues, you are required to do your very best to ensure clean and fair racing at all times.

Lobby settings: If you are unsure about the lobby settings that will be used for the race, look here.

No-shows: If you are unable to attend the race, please inform the League Coordinator and leave a post in this thread BEFORE the race takes place. Note the rules of participation here.

Useful Links:
Results & Standings
League Rules
League Information
Race Calendar

Confirmed no-shows:
-

TheVerenzak

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
I don't usually do these kinds of messages, but I feel like doing it now so here it goes.

First of all, I was very happy to see all of you last sunday! Felt really good having a full grid again, for the first time since Australia! Attendence has been a lot better after the winter break compared to the first half of the season. It feels nice knowing there's 20 full-time drivers and 2 reserve drivers who are still motivated to finish this season, despite all the problems this game has (eventhough we haven't had many major problems so far). So thanks to all of you for that!
A big factor in this is ofcourse getting rid of the drivers who weren't active or motivated anymore, and getting a couple of new drivers in (who all seem to fit in decently well).

Besides that, there's another thing I'd like to address. Note that this isn't pointed at anyone in particular, just a general message I think is useful for most of us (including me). In Singapore (and some other races as well), I saw a few accidents and crashes. Ofcourse accidents happen, it's part of racing, but I think a few people are at times a little too aggresive. Sometimes you get involved in a accident where you absolutely couldn't have done anything to avoid it, but these kinds of accidents don't happen every race. If you get involved in an accident regularly, it might be good to take a good look at your own driving instead of how others are driving. It might be not your fault these accidents are happening, but quite often there is something you could have done to avoid it.
As an example I'd like to use @Ronnin1978 - I've raced with him for a few seasons now, so I kind of know his style now. Take a look at the results and the 'statistics' tab. Ronnin gains an average of 8.1 positions per race, is that because he's just that much faster, or maybe because he's not as good at qualy? Maybe. I think it has more to do with the fact that he's just a very safe and cautious driver; who knows when and who to battle, and when it's best to just accept you're gonna lose a few seconds but make sure your car stays in one piece.

Basically what I'm trying to say is; is it worth it battling on 100% for the entire race? Squeezing out your opponent in every corner, giving them just enough room to exist. In certain moments, yes absolutely. In others, I don't think so. Last lap and you're battling for the win - probably the right situation. Lap 5 and you're on completely different strategies? Maybe not the right situation to go full-out. It's worth losing the battle, if you're gonna win the war.

On that note, I hope to see you all this sunday at Malaysia! A track which should promote good racing, so I'm excited - eventhough I hate the track haha!

@Flips @Jipper @[email protected] @TwoFiftySix @Ronnin1978 @ApplePhysics @Scott_Aitchison @Indigo @Snook @R.A.J. @Andrei Ivan @Cheeese @Niek van Gelder @VARD @MAGNUSSEN @Ztikes @schumizeu @Levingston @Nutzernutzt

Niek van Gelder

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Sep 29, 2015
I’m really sorry but unfortunately I won’t be able to attend today’s race, my mother doesn’t allow me to race this evening... good luck to all of you guys! Hopefully I can sort things out and join again in 2 weeks time for Suzuka!

• Informative
Reactions: TheVerenzak

Indigo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Oct 4, 2017
So yeah.. Qualy was great. Ended up in 3rd, within 0.070 of pole. Race start was good, kept my position and was attacking @schumizeu for 2nd on lap 2. Unfortunately I didn’t get enough room on the outside of the final corner and we both DNFed.

ApplePhysics

Formula 4 Test Driver
Jan 23, 2017
Quali - P2 - Woooooo!

Race - P2 - Wooo? Into the lead by turn 1, where I stayed until 2 laps before the end when I had a great battle with @Snook which he ended up winning which ultimately gave him the race! Felt like I could have come away with the win but Snook's pace was impressive on the mediums, whereas I had done a SS - S race. Congratulations @Snook and @Jipper on completing th epodium and see you all in 2 weeks for Suzuka!

Edit: Would have won had I not binned it out of the last corner... Angery react :facepalm:

Last edited:

TwoFiftySix

Formula Karter
Sep 3, 2017
Well, race to forget. Dunno exactly what happened, maybe @Flips lost the back and crashed me out, maybe I went too far to the left at L1 T4, oh well, footage below.

Hope to end at least one more race this season as I was in the points at every race I finished except Italy.

See y'all in Japan.

Snook

F1 Schumacher Equivalent
Dec 16, 2017
Qualy P5

Race P1

After the ridicilous amount of crashes on the opening laps, the race entered a boring stage for 20 or so laps. In the closing stages, @ApplePhysics and I battled for position once again, this time I managed to come out on top. I have no clue how he made softs last so long, it took me a while to figure out he was actually on a 1 stop strategy.

My time penalty was totally bs (sorry for my language but that is the honest truth), the game gave me a 5 second stop go for running wide an losing time when I only had 1 warning. At least @ApplePhysics spun out on the final corner and lost time so I think that equals it out.

Thank you for being very fair while racing @ApplePhysics. It was an entertaining battle!

Flips

Formula 4 1st Driver
Dec 31, 2016
Well, race to forget. Dunno exactly what happened, maybe @Flips lost the back and crashed me out, maybe I went too far to the left at L1 T4, oh well, footage below.

Hope to end at least one more race this season as I was in the points at every race I finished except Italy.

See y'all in Japan.
Sorry about that @TwoFiftySix. You had a bad exit out of Turn 4. I was trying to overtake you on your left, but you went onto my racing line. As soon as we hit each other I got pushed from behind and couldn't brake. I tried everything to prevent even further damage to your car but got hit from behind.
Hopefully, you'll have great races in the future! Just like you did at the first-half of the season. Bring you and Sauber onto the Podium again.
You're a great driver. You can do it!

Levingston

Formula 4 1st Driver
Oct 15, 2017
Qualy - P10
Could've been better. I was faster from my first hot lap yet I suck at the penultimate corner. Lost like 0.400 over there. P10 it is.

Race - P8
I had an okay start, up to P8 until the first corner. Than for the opening 2 laps, there was all chaos going on. Fortunately, I was up to P4. After problemless 27 laps (except getting overtaken by @Flips) I caught up to @Andrei Ivan but got squeezed when I was alongside him on lap 27 which led me to a half spin. Debatable moment tbh... I lost the control and got caught up by @Ztikes and @[email protected]. With my 3 second, penalty I lost the 6th to them and finished 8th. Shame that I missed the chance on being 5th but I got my first points as a rookie... So. It was nice.

Scott_Aitchison

Formula 3 Test Driver
Jun 27, 2015
Q-9th
R-9th

My qualifying laps were both not great, had atleast half a seconds worth of improvements. Race start was good for once, I held my position into turn 1, coming out of turn 2, I was 3 wide with @Andrei Ivan and @VARD. This ended up with me making contact with both of them and I lost a little bit of my front wing. At the end of the lap, I lost the back end out of the last corner and lost more of my front wing, I had to pit the next lap and changed to the medium tyres, I managed to make my way back up to P9 by my next pit stop and managed to get the fastest lap on super soft tyres at the end. Overall, I felt that my pace was good tonight, it was just a shame that I had to pit for a new front wing early in the race. My POV is below:

Hooper

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Jan 13, 2018
Qualifying - P11
Not much to say, very disappointing qualy for me. I'm having a hard time to perform under 1 lap stints.

Race - P6
Race start was okay. Until I got caught up in 2 cars crashing in front of me on the straight after T2. Had no time to react, red front wing. Towed the car back to the pits. Did a 21 lap medium stint. I let @Flips and a couple other guys pass me since I was on another strategy, and on a slower tyre. I was around P10 after my stop. Had some catching up to do, but was lucky that a Ferrari spun in front of me, and also passed @[email protected]. Last couple corners of the race was very intense, with @Levingston making a mistake on the penultimate corner, P6 was pretty much there. Photo finish with @Levingston crossing the line a couple of thousandths of seconds in front. Luckily for me, he had a time penalty.

Disappointed that we had to restart the session, was really looking forward to a wet race. Anyways, still happy with being pretty much last after first lap and finishing P6.

Snook

F1 Schumacher Equivalent
Dec 16, 2017
Also just popped up to my mind. Thank you all for restarting the session, that is very kind of you.

Reactions: Hooper

Andrei Ivan

Formula 3 Reserve Driver
Mar 28, 2016
Q-9th
R-9th

My qualifying laps were both not great, had atleast half a seconds worth of improvements. Race start was good for once, I held my position into turn 1, coming out of turn 2, I was 3 wide with @Andrei Ivan and @VARD. This ended up with me making contact with both of them and I lost a little bit of my front wing. At the end of the lap, I lost the back end out of the last corner and lost more of my front wing, I had to pit the next lap and changed to the medium tyres, I managed to make my way back up to P9 by my next pit stop and managed to get the fastest lap on super soft tyres at the end. Overall, I felt that my pace was good tonight, it was just a shame that I had to pit for a new front wing early in the race. My POV is below:

Sorry for there but @VARD touch you and that's why we collide... we were 3 cars there at some moment...i saw you on the right i think i let you enough space there...but @VARD came from behind and touch you...then you touch me...

Flips

Formula 4 1st Driver
Dec 31, 2016
Qualifying:
P7 - one of the worst Qualifying Session for me. On my first stint, I managed to make a 1:32.511. After my lap, I started a new and much better lap.
I was over 7-tenths faster than my previous lap (provisional pole) but locked up at the last turn.

Race:
I am not used to starting in the middle of the field. I had a great launch at the start/finish straight, but at Turn 1 I got hit by the McLaren Driver [email protected] and lost a bit of my front wing.

At turn 4 I tried to overtake my Teammate @TwoFiftySix on the outside but he turned right into me, and unfortunately, I couldn't avoid the accident cause I got pushed from behind. I lost even more on my front wing!

I was now over 30 seconds behind the leader of the race and at the back of the field. I managed to make a overtake on @TheVerenzak who also had front wing damage. First battle with him, but not the way I wanted.

From Lap 2 to Lap 15 I made qualifying lap times and tried to decrease the gap between me and the leaders (mostly @Jipper).
On lap 16 I made my final pitstop for another set of Soft tyres and gave everything I had!

I managed to overtake several drivers (@schumizeu, @Levingston, @Ztikes, [email protected] and more!) The fastest lap I did was a 1:34.744 (which was only 1-tenth slower than the Fastest Lap @Scott_Aitchison who was on the Super-Soft tyres).

The last 5 laps I tried to conserve my Soft tyres and also pushing as hard as possible.
On the last lap, my front left tyre was on 87% due to 12-13 laps of qualifying pace.

Congratulations to @Snook (great pace and great Win) and @ApplePhysics (for his 3rd Consecutive Podium) and @Jipper (for another great Podium).

One of the toughest race this season! The only thing I thought about was pushing and thinking about where @Jipper is.

- He managed to gain 3 Points on my in the Drivers' Championship and hopefully it won't happen again!

Qualifying:
P7 - 1:32.511

Race:
P4 - Second time this season that I am not on the Podium.

Jipper

Reigning S14 AOR PC F6 Champion
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
May 24, 2017
Qualy: 4th

Race: 3rd

1st qualy lap was pretty poor made a few mistakes here and there, managed to put in another time but was 2 minutes earlier than everyone else, it appears the track evolved rapidly towards the end so my provisional pole bumped me down to 4th with the gap less than tenth between 1st-4th

Race was actually terrible! the start was pretty good, after giving @schumizeu space in turn 1, he turned into me in turn 2 and knocked my front wing, and from there i struggled for front end grip, It was only green damage but it was enough that i couldn't take sector 2 anywhere near as fast as i should be able to, i dont think it was done on purpose but gotta keep your awareness about you around the earlier laps because there is cars all around you no matter what position you are!

In the end i finished 12 seconds of the leader but grateful for the podium, and to finish ahead of @Flips,

Good race all

Reactions: Andrei Ivan

R.A.J.

Premium Member
Premium Member
Sep 11, 2016
Q14
R10
Qualy
Could have been better, think the set up I was using was better suited to race rather than qualy.

Race
Got caught out with someone pressing the button early and only had one of my racing gloves on, yes I use them. You know how hard it is to put on a glove while you are trying to shift up and steer? Trust me it is not easy, anyway by the time I got that settled I was down at the back again :(
Like I said above though the setup felt really good in race so I was catching back up quickly. Due to others misfortunes and early pit stops I was up into 4th by lap 8.
I checked tire wear and it was looking good, now I am thinking I can one stop this puppy using SS and S. Then I found out what they mean by bottling it.
Coming out of the last corner got too much kerb on the right next thing I know I am going left into a wall. Orange damage to wing to so the should I go long on first stint question answered with a bang. Dropped two places.
After pit made my way back up to 7th by lap 21, thinking cool decent points I will take these, tires looking good can go to end. I really have to stop thinking that, lap 23 going into turn 6 we will call it, I still don't know what happened the car just slid and off to the gravel I went. back down to then end on the remaining runners again.
Pitted for SS just to see if maybe I could get close to fastest lap, better than nothing right? Got within 0.35 seconds, close but no cigar.
Oh well it was fun anyway.