PS4 Round 16 - Malaysian GP [19/2/17 - 8PM GMT]

DON SILVA

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Ah what could have been. Damn that safety car. Best chance of a podium and I lost 3rd place on the penultimate lap :sorry:

blake300892

F1 2nd Driver
Jan 13, 2014
Eventful!

Well done to Dale on a really strong performance.

Hero to zero in 4 corners for me.
Great start from 4th to 1st, get too excited and get slightly too trigger happy off turn 2 and the back end slides me onto the grass.

Hold it just about and carefully rejoin midpack but grass on tyres and wet track and locked up and just tagged moJo.

Waited and dropped to dead last, fought back through a bit, lost half a wing under safety car dropping me to back again.
Really strong couple of laps after SC hoist me up the order again, took the lesser hit of staying out a lap longer to switch to inters to avoid stacking behind teammate.

Quick on inters again, was up to 5th? Managed to catch and pass Ash for 4th, still behind Dale when it came to drys I knew I'd be stacking so avoided it again, this time with a gamble onto drys with 12 laps to go, turned out to be about 4 sectors too soon.

Didn't lose positions but ended up 8s down on Ash and just couldn't hold MoJo off at the end, and still guilty about lap 1!

Up and down race, happy with end result, again my hopes for the rain to stay didn't work! :(

Sorry and gain Mojo and I'll sort my video out midweek.

Tricky one that so well done to all

dFlashAshb

Premium Member
Premium Member
Sep 3, 2016
Those last 2 laps were insane, i was shaking like a shi&^ng dog i was so on the edge of losing control...

Congrats @OurRobOrRoss, great drive and win! Safety car saved my race big style, would have been better 5 - 10 laps later on mind you but it worked out great in the end..

Reactions: Dale Stones

blake300892

F1 2nd Driver
Jan 13, 2014
Q: 10
R: Last (no comment)
Wow! I didn't even feel a whack on mine.
I did wonder where you'd gone a couple of corners later.

I'll check my video tomorrow but I'm fairly sure I hugged the outside of the track as much as I could, just had the drive on you up the hill and made the move round the outside. You just seem to naturally come across following your racing line.

Sorry your race was screwed, I'll let you know when I've checked.

Last edited:

DON SILVA

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Q: 5th

Made a big mistake at T3. The track was still a little damp and I had a huge oversteer moment.

R: 4th

Wow. Well that was a fun race. Got a good start and managed to go up the inside of @syluntbob68. I managed to get past @dFlashAshb on the exit of T2 when @blake300892 made a massive error and went off track. I tried to minimise the turning input needed in order to avoid him, not hit Ash and also to not lost the rear on the run to T4. Ash was on my inside but he slotted behind me. @OurRobOrRoss was in the lead and I was keeping him within sight. We started to gap Ash but then the safety car came out on lap 3. When it came back in, the same thing happened. Myself and @OurRobOrRoss started to pull away. It wasn't long before I realised that @Dale Stones was behind me meaning he'd got past Ash at some point. Pitted for inters at the end of lap 10 and was putting @OurRobOrRoss under a bit of pressure before I started making silly mistakes which brought Dale into play. Over the course of the inters stint we battled a bit, he passed me and I passed him. I was ahead when we pitted for slicks at the end of lap 18 I think it was. I followed @Elite_sultan's ghost car into the pits and the game slowed me down which allowed Dale to catch me and jump me during the stops which was a nightmare for me. I needed to make the most of my mediums whilst they were fresh. Luckily I had loads of fuel so I was pretty much in rich for the whole stint. Then Ash made his presence felt with some fastest laps. There was some great clean racing between myself and Dale during that stint. Great driving man. Eventually Ash caught me and got past on the penultimate lap. He was really quick in that stint. He got Dale as well and took second whilst Dale got a great third place. I was gutted to not finish on the podium after an uncharacteristically good drive at Malaysia for myself. Ah well, hopefully the podium will come eventually.

Congrats @OurRobOrRoss on the win. Number 3 for the season right?

Last edited:
Reactions: dFlashAshb

YabbaTheHutt

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
PCARS Coordinator
ACC Coordinator
Mar 13, 2016
Q: 18th
R: 16th
Not much to say about quali. Since the start was to be in the wet I didn't really care. Strolled around for 2 laps on inters.
Race it self was very uneventful. Took it easy in the rain, started to push a little on inters and went full on the last 11 laps on mediums. Managed to not getting lapped and didn't crash, that's about sums up this race...
Did a whopping 34 laps of practise for this. Luckily it looks a lot brighter at work so I should be having a normal work week which should give lots more time practising for Suzuka...where it normally rains...a lot...

Congrats to the podium guys (y)

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Wheel kept disconnecting and then pitted for inters and gave me softs, I'm so done with this game
Firstly that sucks too hear, this game can be hard at the best of times and when you get screwed by the game itself I can fully understand your frustrations Sultan.

I'll do my full race report later but while many may think I had it relatively easy upfront this wasn't the case I certainly had a few bad moments, with one that nearly changed my race completely. Obviously I'm delighted to win but I feel like the stars basically aligned for me, not just for the race but how qualy played out as well, everything combined made this win possible.

@DON SILVA yes that's win number 3 of the season for me now and a unexpected one at that, not going to complain though as it feels like this makes up for missing out at Germany earlier in the season.:)

Dale Stones

Formula 3 1st Driver
May 10, 2015
That was some race.

Qualy: 6th
Race: 3rd

Qualy: Really interesting qualifying with it drying out. Made the last few minutes interesting to say the least. Was always going to be the last across the line who was going to be fastest. Managed 6th with a decent time.

Race: This turned out to be a stunning race.

Make a decent start going around the outside, taking it steady. Up towards turn 4 I braked a little loo late, locked the front tyres and had to take avoiding action, dropping me down a couple of places. @syluntbob68 unfortunately spun off giving me one place, before getting past JJStyle. I soon got past mpc and defiant before trying to extend my gap to the cars behind. I felt I had really good pace in the wet and soon started catching @dFlashAshb to my surprise. On lap 3 the safety car made an appearance, ruing the hard work put in over the previous laps.

Lap 7 and the safety car is back in the pits. I straight away attack @dFlashAshb and get past with a nice move around the outside of turns 7/8. 3rd is now mine. At the end of lap 10 with the track drying out, I pit for inters. I come out behind Donk and MPC. Manage to get past them both a few corners later. Now onto lap 16. @DON SILVA runs wide allowing me to get alongside. Thought I was past but Don thought back brilliantly and manages to get back past a couple of corners later.

On lap 18, the track is dry enough for slicks. I go for a set of the hards, allowing me to push with a little bit more freedom of tyre wear. Don gets a slow stop which allows me to take 2nd. On the hard tyres I managed to get a lead of around two seconds to Don, but see Ash is flying behind us and is starting to close in.

On lap 22, it gets interesting. I make a mistake and loose all momentum. It allows @DON SILVA to get alongside and past. @dFlashAshb is now only 2 seconds behind us both. On the next lap I stay close to Don and manage to dive past under braking into turn 1. Don is not done though and sticks it out around the outside, giving him the inside line to turn 2. He gets the better exit to confirm the pass. Now into DRS zone 1 and I make a move into the final corner up the inside. Don once again stays on the outside, but with me having DRS, I stay ahead this time.

Us two battling has slowed us down though and now Ash is involved. On lap 26, Don gets back past me once again before I retake the place into the final corner. 2 laps to go now. @dFlashAshb gets past @DON SILVA to take 3rd and is straight onto the rear wing of my car. I keep Ash behind on the first DRS straight but starting the final lap, Ash makes his move around the outside. Unable to fight back, I slot in behind. @DON SILVA is still there though so one mistake and 3rd would be his. I manage to keep a nice gap though and cross the line to take 3rd.

Brilliant driving guys @dFlashAshb @DON SILVA. Was brilliant to be involved in. 100% clean racing with no contact at all. Congrats to Shadow on the win! You just seemed to disappear after pitting for slicks!

Race Video:

dFlashAshb

Premium Member
Premium Member
Sep 3, 2016
Race Report

Qualy: P1

It seemed obvious that the fastest lap would be the one by the driver who timed their lap best with respect to the drying out track. Did a few wet laps to get used to the track in the wet in anticipation for a nightmare of a race and set myself up nicely time wise and ended up taking the pole quite comfortably in the end.. Not sure what everyone else was up to in qualifying, my only guess is that when i went out with 4:30 left it suggested slicks were the wrong tyre and most people paid attention to that.. I knew to stand a chance of doing well in the race i had to stay away from any potential chaos on the first lap and starting at the front on the inside of turn 1 was vital to that.

Race: P2

If you had asked me what would happen on the first lap i would have probably predicted it fairly well, besides @blake300892 going onto the grass and losing a load of time that is. I'd been jumped by @OurRobOrRoss, @DON SILVA and blake by turn 2 and slotted in behind Don. I was able to keep relatively close to him whilst i had his line and pace as a bit of a guide to help me round the track and by doing so we had managed to open up a massive gap to the 4th place car at the time. As soon as Don opened up a few second gap my pace fell right off, and i started to get closed down by the cars behind. The safety car was a godsend. It totally neutralised the deficit i was suffering to the front 2 and kept the gap down so at least i would have a fighting chance if the track dried up in time.

Once going again Dale passed me very comfortably and i seemed to have decent enough pace to hang onto 4th spot. I seemed to get the hang of certain parts of the track in the wet after a bit but all in all i was nowhere near the front 3 who were charging away and a chance of getting a podium was disappearing rapidly. I'd gone into a bit of a daze and fortunately Geoff woke me up suggesting inters and i realised i was driving like an absolute granny. Blake was now in 5th and every tenth counted. Fortunately he didn't pit. That cost him a lot of time as within half a lap my sector times were considerably quicker and the cars still out on wets were easy pickings. Once everyone had come in i resumed by position in 4th, now lapping 4 seconds a lap slower than the leaders and a 5 second gap over blake though he was setting fastest laps now.

Lap 16 and Blake drove straight past me but as the track was starting to dry out Dale in 3rd wasn't increasing his gap anymore, at which point Blake pitted. Presumed he had taken a gamble on the slicks and about halfway round the track i thought he had gambled wisely as i was really able to push on for the first time so i selected the mediums and pulled over. I was 13-14 seconds behind Dale and delighted to see none of the leaders had pulled over, especially when i set the fastest middle sector of the race. Really hit the jackpot here as at the end of sector 1 on lap 19 i was 7.5 seconds behind Don and had opened a gap of 8.5 seconds to Blake. I didn't question what had happened up front i just had my eyes on eating into the gap as i had it in my head that i had between half a second and a second on Don on dry race pace so the podium was in fact on the cards. Between the top 5 cars we exchanged fastest laps, until @neil rutter on the softs set a lap none of us could match.

At first i was taking well over a second off Don a lap but he fell into a groove quickly and started charging on Dale in 2nd. By lap 22 the gap was under 4 seconds and coming up to turn 9 i could see Don had just caught Dale and they were side by side. I thought Don was going to drive off into the distance but Dale stuck with him and for 2-3 laps they were getting DRS off each other which put a stop to my assault but fortunately they battled around the track at other points so i was able to keep in touch whilst desperately trying to save fuel to launch an attack. At lap 26 1.5seconds separated us and there battle then put us within half a second of each other. Dale passed Don for 2nd place at the end of lap 26 and i got alongside on the start straight of lap 27, we went wheel to wheel through turns 1 and 2 and i got a cut back out of T2 which saw me pass Don up the inside of T3 into T4 before passing Dale for 2nd at the end of the start straight of the final lap. I'd say the last 2 laps were my best 2 of the race and by the time i had reached the back straight i had pulled clear of the DRS zone to take 2nd place despite running out of fuel coming out of the last corner.

Delighted with the result as for a vast proportion of the race it seemed like i was destined for 4th of 5th!
Congrats to @OurRobOrRoss on a thoroughly deserved win, and to @Dale Stones for a great podium! And sorry @DON SILVA for denying you your podium in the final stages, you really deserved one as you out drove me for the majority of the race and had you have pulled clear of Dale i may not have even had a look in on 2nd place.

Last edited:

DON SILVA

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
@dFlashAshb I was running a really high downforce setup for the rain so I just couldn't pull away on the straights when it got dry

• Informative
Reactions: Wobbuffet

CragglesD

F1 Senna Equivalent
Jan 22, 2014
Hi, sorry I think I was down to do this race. But I'm still really jet lagged and fell asleep at 5:30pm (currently think its lunchtime!). So forgot to inform wouldn't make it.

Reactions: YabbaTheHutt

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Race Summary: Wet Wet Dry - I feel it in my fingers, I feel it in my toes, rain was all around me and so the track feeling grows. Its written in the forecast, it's everywhere I go...
:whistle:

Qualy: 2nd - Qualy like Monza was very key for my race here, the changeable conditions played into my hands and while I would have preferred it stay wet as things turned out the drying track at the end work out very well.
I was very unsure what to do with 5 mins left I was tempted to stay in but as it looked like the track was improving I thought there was a opportunity (similar to Monza) so I went out on Softs and gambled it would be dry enough at the end, it was pretty tricky and my 1st flying lap wasn't to bad but as I felt it would be better to leave it as late as possible, I slowed on the back straight and tried to time it to start my 2nd lap with a few seconds left on the clock.
Which I did very well crossed the start/finish line with 5 seconds left and knew I was the last to cross before the session finished. It was a decent lap I didn't push to much as I wanted to make sure I got a time on the board especially as I was setting purple sectors in 1 & 2, but once I saw Ash go to provisional pole nearly 2 seconds quicker then the previous fastest lap I was very unsure where I stood, as I approached the last turn I though it would be close but as it turned out I was over 0.8 behind him but still good enough for 2nd, which overall I was happy to take. (Especially as @neil rutter ended up in 12th)

Race: 1ST:D - With it being full wet at the start and drying up at the end apparently, it took away a everyone's strategy plans and I was quite happy as you know who your racing from the start and talking about the start I honestly didn't know what to expect heading into turn 1.

We all seemed to have decent getaways up front but by the time we entered turn 1 I had got alongside and ahead of @dFlashAshb, however when I saw the proximity arrows to my right during the turn I naturally assumed Ash would appear, so you can imagine my surprise when @blake300892 starting 4th was the one to actually appear.:wtf: Turn 2 was very fair with a lot of space given and I tried the inside but I had to settle in behind Blake on the exit, but then another unexpected turn of events happened as Blake lost it with wheelspin and was sent on to the grass putting me into the lead with @DON SILVA taking 2nd.

It was quite treacherous in the opening lap, lap 2 was better and then during lap 3 as I was starting to find a rhythm the SC came out, with no retirement popping up I assumed the only reason it was for was the track conditions. At the time it didn't feel any worst and also it erased the small lead I had over Don, once the SC came in I had a good restart and went about trying to build a lead again on lap 7.

On lap 8 I was stretching out a bit of a lead but then I had a unexpected and angering surprise occur, at turn 9 I braked and slightly turned in to early and cut it, I only just put my 2 left wheels inside the kerb and to be honest I expected a corner warning to come up, and the game did make something pop-up a 5 second stop-go penalty :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::wtf::wtf::wtf::mad::mad::mad::rage::rage::rage::arghh::arghh::arghh:. I hadn't even had one warning for track extending or corner cutting before that, but the game decided in its infinite wisdom that I deserved a serious punishment for a genuine mistake.:finger:

But I knew I had to quickly recomposed myself and just refocus which I did, after looking at the gap at the end of lap 8 I had just over a 3 second lead and since the track was getting close to Inter conditions I realistically expected to drop down to 2nd in the pitstops, lap 9 I pulled out a couple more tenths then lap 10 the call from the engineer came for Inters as I entered the pits with only a 3.7 second lead over Don, I though it was curtains for me yet as I took my penalty change my tyres and left my box some how I was still in front of Don but barely.

After everyone else on full wets pitted the next lap I was back into the lead but I wasn't being pursued by just Don but @Dale Stones was a very close 3rd as well, and the small advantage I had over the field in full wet conditions was pretty much nullified by the Inters as Don and Dale kept pace with me, for the next few laps there wasn't much in it pace wise but then on lap 15 Don dropped back a bit and ended up fighting Dale which gave a few seconds buffer, once again the time to change tyres was close but this time it was because the track was drying out.

As I had a small lead (3.5 seconds) I decided to wait until I got the call from the engineer which came lap 18, I stuck the mediums on to make sure I got to the end no problems, but when I exited the pits I had a much bigger lead (6 seconds) and Dale was upto 2nd with Don now behind him in 3rd. At the time I didn't understand and assumed Don got held up in the pits (but I have now seen the real reason:wtf:).

I wasn't 100% sure how good my pace would be in the dry and by the end of lap 20 I got my answer it was good enough, while I knew Ash & Neil were likely quicker which proved to be the case once it was dry the fact that they were both around 15 and 30 seconds behind me respectively meant that with just 8 laps left I knew I had at least match Dale and Don, but after each lap I ended up increasing my lead over the 2 of them.

With 5 laps to go and around a 12 second lead, when I had the chance I started to half watch the track map where Dale and Don where as they were close and I knew that Ash wasn't far behind them either. For the next few laps I just set a decent pace and when I nearly caught someone to lap them near the end of lap 27, I decided to ease of and take the last lap very carefully as I still had a 12 second lead and had no time pens, did it no problems and brought the car home to win.:)

I have to admit I was sort of jealous of that battle for 2nd in the final laps, at the time I could only guess how intense it was but also a lot of fun so fair play to all 3 of you for keeping it clean.(y)
Though that's one thing I quite glad I didn't have to experience in this race, is Ash chasing me down.:p

Looking back it certainly wasn't easy for me, I can only imagine how tough most of the field found it tonight with the wet weather, I got a bit lucky with Blake losing it at the start and the BS stop-go pen not costing me the lead.
I have to admit in a way I'm a bit disappointed I didn't get the chance to race you for the lead Blake as I would have liked to have had the chance to return the favour from Singapore, obviously we will never know what would have happened, but in full wet conditions I felt I was the fastest overall as those wet conditions suited me excellently around here.
The SC was a surprise it obviously made a big difference to some I would guess, though in hindsight I'm pleased it happened that early rather then later as it allowed me to take full advantage of the conditions, in Inter conditions my advantage disappeared as the Renault guys were both 1st and 2nd for fastest laps during the early stages of the Inter phase, I was only a couple tenths off but there was nothing in it really it seemed in general.
And once it got dry my life was made easier by the advantage I had after the 'bug' Don unfortunately experienced but also my pace was decent.

As I said earlier I think I got a bit lucky with how things played out, a fully dry race and at best I'm likely trying to finish 3rd as Neil and Ash's pace seemed ominous based on what I seen and heard earlier in the week.

But want to say great job to not just podiums finishers Ash and Dale but Don in 4th as well all very good drives overall and well done to the rest of the points finishers, as that was a very tough race for the majority of it.

Lastly as for the championship, a absolutely massive bounce back for me after Canada, puts me firmly in the hunt for 2nd again as @chris130256 only brought home a few points, as for Neil in the lead despite only finishing 5th he's increased his lead and now has a 40 point margin, 44 to me and 51 to Ash, definitely a very tough task with 5 races to go but all we can do is do our best and see how things play out at Suzuka next week.

• Winner
Reactions: DON SILVA

DON SILVA

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Quite a key part of my race

YabbaTheHutt

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
PCARS Coordinator
ACC Coordinator
Mar 13, 2016
Hi, sorry I think I was down to do this race. But I'm still really jet lagged and fell asleep at 5:30pm (currently think its lunchtime!). So forgot to inform wouldn't make it.
No harm done, had a feeling that this could happen ;)

Philip_66

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 15, 2014
Q: 2nd, when it was still wet. After that all on softs were in front of me.
R: 13th.
Got away steady and with enough sight.
Crawling through the field up to turn 1, a Haas got bumped out of the way just ahead of me, on the left.
Got tipped and hit from behind wich made me spin 360 degr. Was very lucky to keep her out of the wall but my Fwing was damaged too much and had to pit. Pfffffffffffffffffff
Again 45 min. of chasing those in front of me.
Pitty.
Up to Japan.

Wimstradamus

AOR PS4 GT3 S12 T5 Champion
Premium Member
May 7, 2016
Q p17
R p6

Didn't like the track so spend a lot of hours practicing and learning the corners and braking ponts, finally got some decent lap times but only with the driving line assist on. Without the line im 2.3 sec a lap slower :(
So quali time with line on put me in p8 on the inters but than the game froze and had to reboot the game when i was back in the lobby there was no time for a dry tyre lap so dropped to p17.
Race was fun, had a good pace in the rain and managed to drive around some accidents and also managed to pass some people.
finished in p6 which i did not expected (expected to dnf or be at the back of the field) so very happy with p6 and the points.

No video this time because after the game reboot in quali forgot to turn the stream on again :(