PC - Round 20 - Abu Dhabi Grand Prix [18/02/18 8:00pm] | ApexOnlineRacing.com

PC Round 20 - Abu Dhabi Grand Prix [18/02/18 8:00pm]

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheEpicSnowWolf

Formula 4 1st Driver
Aug 26, 2017
Not a very good race for me, quite a shame to end the season like this.

I consider skipping S15 and trying out racing in PCARS or maybe rFactor, because for the first time in my league racing 'career', I really feel frustration towards the F1 game...

Anyway, there were enough good moments to say it was a worthy debut season on AOR for me. Although I didn't really achieve what I wanted, I still had a lot of fun battling with all of you on track!

So thanks for all the fights, I think we really put together a nice community as Split 7 here. I hope to see you on track again soon! If not next season, hopefully for Season 18, when I'll be back from my uni exchange year. :)

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Not a very good race for me, quite a shame to end the season like this.

I consider skipping S15 and trying out racing in PCARS or maybe rFactor, because for the first time in my league racing 'career', I really feel frustration towards the F1 game...

Anyway, there were enough good moments to say it was a worthy debut season on AOR for me. Although I didn't really achieve what I wanted, I still had a lot of fun battling with all of you on track!

So thanks for all the fights, I think we really put together a nice community as Split 7 here. I hope to see you on track again soon! If not next season, hopefully for Season 18, when I'll be back from my uni exchange year. :)
You can appeal that penalty, it would give you the place back. Sorry @winchy33 but @TheEpicSnowWolf was clearly pushed off track, not by you but the penalty was undeserved.

Rienk

Premium Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2017
Pre-race
Plan: Practice rFactor 2 during the week, practice F1 2017 in the weekend.
Reality: Practice rFactor 2 during the week, get sick on friday, not get any practice for F1 2017 :yuck::banghead:

Qualifying (P last)
Perhaps my worst showing in qualifying since Australia and China (jesus that's a long way back, time flies). 1st run was crap, 2nd run was about half a second better (potentially, if I didn't **** up sector 3), but I got blocked. 3rd run was also pretty awful and cut the last corner, invalidating my next lap with 5 seconds to go in qualifying, so the first run it was, and last place (of those who actually did a run) it was.

Race (P5, SS->US)
Had a slow start on purpose, wanted to keep out of trouble. My plan for the race was just to not get involved in accidents and drive as best as my illness would let me. I ran wide after turn 2, but this meant that I missed a crash between @Nasom and @michal_miletin on the left of me, which I might not have been able to avoid if I hadn't ran wide, so thank god for that. I stayed on the back of @Jay for the rest of the lap, until turn 17. There, @Jay ran wide and @ulukbek seemed to push @TheEpicSnowWolf off the track. I passed @Jay and @TheEpicSnowWolf through the turn, and @ulukbek right after it. P13 to P9 by only being careful, not bad.

Due to lack of practice and lack of healthiness (yes I'm going to use that as an excuse, fight me), I couldn't get into a rhythm. I was just too slow to keep up with the mid-field, and @TheEpicSnowWolf was gaining on me fast. In the 3rd lap, turn 8, he put his car down my inside after having caught up with DRS. I managed to fend him off then by going successfully side-by-side through the chicane and ending in front. After that I didn't see him again.

At the start of lap 12, @LukeBin010 was right behind me looking very racey on his softs. I defended my position against him, deploying the @Neil Bywater in Singapore strat. I had some very respectful racing moments with him, showing that I might not be fast today, but racecraft was still there. There was a fun defending moment through the turn 5-6 chicane, and also a quite successfull side-by-side through the (normally) flat-out turn 2-3-4 complex in lap 14. After this I ran too much to the left though, this made my car jump a bit, so I decided to give up the fight. What I didn't anticipate however was a wild @Neil Bywater also overtaking me, since he'd been able to catch up, because I was slowing down @LukeBin010. I tried to switch-back on him, and maybe make him taste some of his own medicine by being a faff, but I didn't succeed and gave up the position.

On to lap 17. My tires were 60-65% gone and I almost span between turn 17 and 18. Time to pit. There were 11 laps left in the race, so this was exactly on time with my predetermined pit-window. Pitted onto ultrasofts and slotted in between @Sjoelbakkie and @TheEpicSnowWolf. @Sjoelbakkie pitted shortly afterwards, so now it was @Jay in front of me again, by about a sector. At this point I realized I fucked up and should've pitted AT LEAST a lap earlier, but alas. I was starting to use the extra fuel I had been saving up in my first stint. My plan was to get on the ultrasofts and get as much life out of them at the start as possible, by running in rich mix for as long as possible. This was the only way I was gonna catch up to @Jay, by essentially hot-lapping. Set some decent laps in the process, and was catching up to @Jay, but too slow. After a bit I got my 2nd 3 second penalty too, so I just pushed for 1-2 more laps and then made sure I just finished the race. I was gaining quite a bit to @Jay in the end and only a few seconds behind him over the line, so if I had pitted a lap earlier I might have had a chance to catch him, but oh well.

All in all a more fun race than I anticipated with some very good racing in it. Even though I am bummed I didn't get to use my full potential due to being ill and having barely any practice, I'm still satisfied with my 5th place.

So, that's it, season over. This season has had it's ups and downs, but luckily more ups than downs. This was my first league racing experience, and I was quite nervous. After causing that massive turn 1 incident in the first race, I though to myself if I was even ready for this. The answer was no, I wasn't. So I started practicing to do something about it. After another quite dreadful race in China, I started to pull myself together in Bahrain. Suddenly I was close to points. The next race I got my first point and a few races later, my first podium. Honestly, I didn't think I'd ever get a podium this season, but I ended up getting 3 in total. This together with my racecraft gaining quite a boost during the 2nd half of the season made for a very educational and massively fun season.

Lastly I would like to thank all who participated in this split, the little community we've built here has been great and it's been great fun talking to you guys and racing with you (and yes that does include you guys: @Putttee, @ChokDK, @Fbyson, @p_w, @hennree and @Jamoobaldy, sorry for the notification, but I couldn't let you out of this). Special thanks to @Jay for being an amazing COD and leading this split though it's dark times. You've done an amazing job this season keeping everyone sane and in the right place. Thanks for that.

That's it then, I honestly hope to see you guys in future leagues. Be it F1, rF2 or Project Cars. Cheerio for now, hope we race again some time!

Rienk

Premium Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2017
Ok, I've overdone myself this time. That's basically an essay wtf.

TheEpicSnowWolf

Formula 4 1st Driver
Aug 26, 2017
You can appeal that penalty, it would give you the place back.
I can't afaik, because it was a stop/go penalty (whysoever), served at the pit stop.

Bear in mind that we will not be giving compensation for penalties that affect your position on the track during the race. This includes drive through penalties and extra time spent in the pit box as a result of a stop-go penalty.

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Quali: 12th

Finally made the killer adjustment to my setup by knocking 20% rotation out of my wheel. On TT I set a 1:38.2 instead of the 1:39.1 I had at 7:30pm.

Went to track intending a max of 3 laps as I knew my strategy and I wanted the fresh tyres if I wasn't competitive in quali. I normally aren't and I had bested 1:39.4 online before the setup change. So I knew I was capable of 1:39.0 and wanted to see where that panned out.

I set the banker lap and it was slow (1:39.9), I messed up the second lap so I pitted for the second run, dropped the fuel and looked at the standings. Still in the top 10 on my rubbish lap. OK, so I left it to get one lap on the second run. Choked it and dropped to 12th, @Rienk had a 'mare and @michal_miletin had a penalty. Fresh tyres was the outcome, TBH I don't think 8th or 9th would have helped me a great deal but 12th out of 13 always looks bad.

Race: 4th US/SS (11)

12th turned into a difficult place to start. The first lap was horrific, just trying to not hit other cars that were fighting aggressively. In the @ulukbek and @TheEpicSnowWolf collision I think I was just trying not to get collected by either car after they came together.

I followed @Rienk who had snuck through and was running SS, so I knew I would lose track position as he would be staying out longer than me on the US. The tyre management was key so attrition was the only moves I made. @Partyfuchs and @LolFish42 were casualties, however arrived at.

I'm not sure who went in what order but I'm pretty sure @ulukbek retired first but ghosted around, then @LolFish42 and @Partyfuchs retired after they dropped it. Then I think @michal_miletin or @Nasom but neither left straightaway. I will have to watch my video back to correct the positions unless any of you want to help me out. @LolFish42 said it was Lap 4 he went off and I think it was before the stop that @Partyfuchs was in the wall.

Anyway, I pitted and then pushed like hell between Laps 16-26 before the tyres really gave out. I was looking at @Poetic D as he battled @winchy33 but he got away when @winchy33 pitted. I was relived to see @Poetic D pit again before the end as I maintained a gap to @Sjoelbakkie then @Rienk.

@Rienk started to close as I couldn't stay close to @yoan97222 who was next up. I was counting on penalties as I knew that it had taken maybe half a dozen races not to get a cut penalty myself. He (@yoan97222) had just the one which meant I missed the podium by 1.6s. I made enough time costly errors when the tyres went in the last two laps, but I knew it wasn't likely @Rienk would catch me as his US must've cliffed around the same time if not sooner.

I would've felt a lot prouder of 4th if there were more than 14 drivers there but I feel it would have been good points even with a few more in. I've got to work on qualifying for S15.

Last edited:

Sjoelbakkie

Formula 4 Test Driver
Dec 21, 2017
Quali: 12th

Finally made the killer adjustment to my setup by knocking 20% rotation out of my wheel. On TT I set a 1:38.2 instead of the 1:39.1 I had at 7:30pm.
Good job man, that's really good!

Neil Bywater

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 20, 2014
Very happy with my Q time, fastest all week. Shame I disgraced myself.

My biggest conceen here was failing to finish and blotting my 100% record for the season.

Happily for me it all came together. I had to finish within 12 points of @Poetic D for second in the championship which I did and happy to get another podium, 9 now.

Best season ever in AOR after 7ish seasons.

Race was good, if a little boring after the first few laps where I saw @Partyfuchs do an alonso, how is you back and then him and @LolFish42 throw it off gifting me and easy 2nd.

Here is my race. Not sure anyone has called me wild before @Rienk, ill take it as a compliment.

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Very happy with my Q time, fastest all week. Shame I disgraced myself.

My biggest conceen here was failing to finish and blotting my 100% record for the season.

Happily for me it all came together. I had to finish within 12 points of @Poetic D for second in the championship which I did and happy to get another podium, 9 now.

Best season ever in AOR after 7ish seasons.

Race was good, if a little boring after the first few laps where I saw @Partyfuchs do an alonso, how is you back and then him and @LolFish42 throw it off gifting me and easy 2nd.

Here is my race. Not sure anyone has called me wild before @Rienk, ill take it as a compliment.

I think he said 'wily' or, if you prefer, 'little' "willy" ;)

winchy33

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Jan 22, 2017
Congrats to @LukeBin010 on the win and again to @Kiinako on the championship.

Enjoyed that today. Qualified in 8th and finished in 8th. Both were my highest of the season. Saying that, with just 14 racing I could have finished in last and still beaten most of my results this season :p

Got off to a good start, moving up to 7th for the 1st stint. Stopped lap 7 for SS, returning just behind @Nasom in p9. Was surprisingly faster on my SS than the US. Managed to get past @Nasom a few laps later. Eventually moved back up to 4th after cars pitted ahead. I was ahead of both @yoan97222 and @Poetic D. I was able to keep both at bay for a while, finally Yoan passed me up the inside of the first long straight. I somehow kept Poetic behind a few more laps before he overtook me in the same place as Yoan. With @Jay also closing, i pitted lap 17 from 6th place.

I decided to put on another set on SS as I seemed quicker on those. In hindsight, US would have been better. I re-joined behind @TheEpicSnowWolf and made a charge on him. I spent the last 5 laps behind trying to get past, but despite being in DRS range every lap, I just couldn't get close enough the pass. Caused by some mistakes from me, but also some good defending by Epic. Behind, @Sjoelbakkie and @Poetic D were flying on US tyres. I had no chance with Poetic, who overtook me on the last lap. I just about kept Sjoelbakkie behind, but finished behind him in the end with the penalties I had acquired. But overall, good racing and nice to have some battles with people I've hardly raced all season!

You can appeal that penalty, it would give you the place back. Sorry @winchy33 but @TheEpicSnowWolf was clearly pushed off track, not by you but the penalty was undeserved.
I agree, that was very harsh. I'd happy drop back down a place if that penalty can be removed.

My season went as expected. I knew I wouldn't finish in the points much, but when I did, even in 10th, it was a good feeling. I know my weakness is my strategy calls. Many times I made the wrong tyre option, especially in wet weather. It cost me at times this season, but these things ahppen

But yeah thanks everyone for a great season. Been great racing you all. Hope i didn't get in your way too much ;) The attendance, aside from tonights race, was one of the best I've ever seen in the seasons I've done. It's easy to rage quit, or give up, so thanks everyone for sticking around and making it enjoyable.

Thanks again to @Jay for brilliantly co-ordinating and keeping us all in check. Takes a lot of time to do this. And of course thanks to @yoan97222 for hosting.

See you back on the track :)

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Right, so I've reviewed my video and it looks like;

@ulukbek disconnected from Discord on Lap 2 and the next time I saw him he was a ghost car. Anyone see him in an incident? Assume DSC/or *ssshh* rage quit
@LolFish42 was facing the wrong way on the 2nd bent straight on Lap 4. Retired.
@Partyfuchs dropped it on the last corner on Lap 5 and look like he hit the wall. Terminal damage?
@Nasom retired next around the pitstops.
@michal_miletin retired on Lap 28. He will be classified as 10th as he completed over 90% race distance.

Unless anyone contradicts me....

• Agree
Reactions: Nasom

yoan97222

Reigning AOR PC F1 Split 5 Champion
Sep 22, 2016
Quali : 6th
Not much to say it was a normal lap without big mistakes i think but glad to start quite high on the grid.

Race : 3rd
The start of the race was tough. I started with a bit of wheel spin but no positions lost and came into turn 1 seeing a few pieces of wings flying.
Then T2 while overtaking by the outside i've been completely pushed out of the track by @Neil Bywater (who couldn't see me without the proximity arrows :sneaky:) Causing yellow flag and lost one position which i regain on @Poetic D 2 turns after.
Then it's been a whole race againt him. He managed to overtake me a few laps before i pitted. I almost undercutted him and got back the position just the turn after the end of the pit. We met @winchy33 on track who i must admit had a really nice pace. I gave it all to overtake you after a few laps behind then i was expecting @winchy33 to slow @Poetic D while i was pulling away. it did'nt take too long for him to overtake and few laps later he was back.
Unfortunately @Poetic D made a mistake 5 laps before the end and had to pit.
I tought the podium was mine at this moment but i realised that @Jay was there just 2.9s behind me! (and as usual i had 3s penalty)
I had to turn on beast mode and don't make mistake until the end. The tyres was still pretty good so I managed to put 4.6s gap by the end.

Nice podium finish and that's how the season end on a good mark.
I finally bring back some decent pace and results during those last races after a quite disappointed mid season.
This F7 field have been super competitive and I enjoyed a lot racing against all of you guys.
I can't wait now for the S15 to begin (100% sure i'll take part) and hopefully race against some of you again.

My race record has been blocked by FOM so I can't share it with you for the moment.

Neil Bywater

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 20, 2014
Not much to say it was a normal lap without big mistakes i think but glad to start quite high on the grid.

The start of the race was tough. I started with a bit of wheel spin but no positions lost and came into turn 1 seeing a few pieces of wings flying.
Then T2 while overtaking by the outside i've been completely pushed out of the track by @Neil Bywater (who couldn't see me without the proximity arrows :sneaky:) Causing yellow flag and lost one position which i regain on @Poetic D 2 turns after.
Then it's been a whole race againt him. He managed to overtake me a few laps before i pitted. I almost undercutted him and got back the position just the turn after the end of the pit. We met @winchy33 on track who i must admit had a really nice pace. I gave it all to overtake you after a few laps behind then i was expecting @winchy33 to slow @Poetic D while i was pulling away. it did'nt take too long for him to overtake and few laps later he was back.
I tought the podium was mine at this moment but i realised that @Jay was there just 2.9s behind me! (and as usual i had 3s penalty)
I had to turn on beast mode and don't make mistake until the end. The tyres was still pretty good so I managed to put 4.6s gap by the end.

I finally bring back some decent pace and results during those last races after a quite disappointed mid season.
This F7 field have been super competitive and I enjoyed a lot racing against all of you guys.
I can't wait now for the S15 to begin (100% sure i'll take part) and hopefully race against some of you again.

My race record has been blocked by FOM so I can't share it with you for the moment.
My proximity indicators don't detect Dutch or French drivers, that's all.

• Clever
Reactions: yoan97222

Neil Bywater

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 20, 2014

Oh yeah, I just looked at my mirrors at T2 sorry.

End of term madness.

• What?
Reactions: yoan97222
Status
Not open for further replies.