England
Round 3 - Vietnam Grand Prix
AOR Hype Energy F1 Leagues - Season 20

Race Information:
Date: Sunday 20th September 2020
Start Time: 8:00pm (UK time)
Circuit: Hanoi Street Circuit
Laps: 28

Please try to be online at least 10 minutes before the start time, and await the lobby invite from the League Coordinator and/or the lobby host. Also please ensure your internet connection is in an optimal state at the time of racing.

Notes:
Rules & regulations: Before you take to the track in the league race, make sure you are fully aware of the rules & regulations of the leagues. As a driver in our leagues, you are required to do your very best to ensure clean and fair racing at all times.

Lobby settings: If you are unsure about the lobby settings that will be used for the race, look here.

No-shows: If you are unable to attend the race, please inform the League Coordinator and leave a post in this thread BEFORE the race takes place. Note the rules of participation here.

Useful Links:
League Rules
League Information
Race Calendar

Confirmed no-shows:
@CPI_BlackPhoenix
@GomL_Kemuhin
@siiir_kelvin
@huhtari

Last edited:

iJokeri22

Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
England
Haven't done a single lap on this track yet but I always struggle on new tracks so I'm not expecting anything out of this race but hopefully I'll be proven wrong.

Bankai_Bullett

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Apr 4, 2015
Can confirm that turns 1 through 5 are officially the worst on the calendar.

iJokeri22

Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
England
So after 2 nights of practice my only aim for this race is simply to finish after that anything better than last place will be a bonus.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Bankai_Bullett

Oner Schumacher

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Sep 9, 2017
Switzerland
Hey Guys, I have a question for you. Which AI difficulty level do you choose when you play GP? I am choosing 101 and I am almost at the same speed with my team mate. But most of the guys here are way faster than me, do you choose 110 or something? And we are only F6, what about higher tiers?

Bankai_Bullett

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Apr 4, 2015
Hey Guys, I have a question for you. Which AI difficulty level do you choose when you play GP? I am choosing 101 and I am almost at the same speed with my team mate. But most of the guys here are way faster than me, do you choose 110 or something? And we are only F6, what about higher tiers?
My AI is set at 104.

F1 guys will be max difficulty, if they even do career or GP.

timbob4321

Pro Karter
Jun 24, 2020
UK
I normally play at 105, but I set it a bit lower here, as I find that the AI are quite fast round Hanoi (so maybe 102/103)

iJokeri22

Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
England
So I'm in the 35s and I cant do a single lap without breaking both sides of my wing apart from that though its going great.

Bankai_Bullett

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Apr 4, 2015
Well, first proper race sim in the bag and apart from needing to iron out some niggly bits... I'm feeling good. Good pace everywhere.

Gonna be interesting tomorrow.

timbob4321

Pro Karter
Jun 24, 2020
UK
(YEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS)
This is a race report I'm going to enjoy writing...(also gotta say that this race made Vietnam my new favourite track!)
Quali was pretty atrocious. Again v. impressed with the competitiveness of the grid. Started P9 in the end, which is probably one of the worst places to start as I was low down the grid and on softs.
However, the race was a different story. Got loads of overtakes done and I was really pleased with my race pace. I was driving like a madman in the last 7 laps when I closed the gap to @TheTubbyNinja from 10s to 1.5s. P9-P2 doesn't sound too bad does it?
This is my first season of league racing and I was just hoping to improve and maybe pick up the odd point on the way, let alone podiums! Considering I DNF'd in the last 2 races, I was not expecting this!
THANK YOU AOR!

Bankai_Bullett

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Apr 4, 2015
Nothing too mega tonight.

Got jammed up in Quali twice... by I think the same car.
Should've put it at least P2 on the grid. P4 instead.

Race start was great... T1 wasn't.
Got stuck fighting an Alfa and Alpha, both of which kinda forced me onto the inside curb at one point and giving me warnings... the latter of whom also moved a bit in the braking zone, which was nice.

Had zero pace on the S, so switched to M for my planned 2-stop strategy... only for EVERYONE in front to do a 1-stop. So I basically strategised myself out of a podium because I was under the impression that the S-H strat was trash.
Kept making silly mistakes and the car didn't feel anything like it did all through practice.

2nd stop for the S and for fastest lap, only to then go and damage my wing on the exit of the Roundabout... putting the kybosh on that idea... and at this point I'm sure @rich500 was quite fed up of my increasing frustration. Apologies.

Finished 6th... but should've been SO. MUCH. MORE!!!

Only comfort is that both Renault's were in the points and I've moved into 3rd in the championship.

Onto China. Need to pull something special there.

Reactions: rich500

TheTubbyNinja

F1 2nd Driver
Oct 15, 2017
Milton Keynes, England
Was lucky to put in a very good banker lap in qualifying that bailed me out for two unsuccessful attempts after it. Extremely happy with pole and managed to pull away massively at the start. I did a race lap I'd never even come close to in practice (1:18.6) which helped me break DRS before it was available and was helped by what seemed like quite a close battle for 2nd. Managed to get 6 seconds on P2 before pitting for Hards which at the time I wasn't sure was the right move. Luckily it was, and nobody brought out a safety car, so I could extend my lead at the start of the stint little by little and then cruise home for the final few laps still terrified at the prospect of clipping a wing somewhere.

My race highlights and McLaren team radio:

Reactions: DON SILVA

DON SILVA

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
London
Another race without points. Never want to see this track again. My strategy was working well and my pace was actually good. Then I broke my wing in the second stint and the race fell to pieces. Threw away points again. So angry with myself

DON SILVA

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
London
A race with promised turned into Comedy Central in the blink of an eye. A season away from league racing seems to have turned me into a chronic bottlejob

Reactions: TheTubbyNinja

rich500

Formula Karter
Aug 4, 2018
Quali 8th, race 9th for me. Probably at the top end of where I deserved to be so ok with that. Enjoyed the race and didn't battle too much whilst being overtaken (multiple times), didn't seem much point. Did manage to keep it clean of damage and penalties however so benefited from the misfortunes of others. Perhaps should've gone with the one stop strategy but don't think it really would've made much difference. Pace just wasn't there compared to others. Well done to the podium, it's looking like it will be an interesting battle for both titles. On to China, as always hoping for better.

iJokeri22

Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
England
A race with promised turned into Comedy Central in the blink of an eye. A season away from league racing seems to have turned me into a chronic bottlejob

I can feel the frustration just watching the video lol.

At least we know why the VSC came out now.

iJokeri22

Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
England
Well thank god that's over Vietnam is without doubt the worst race track I have ever driven on any game in the last 22 years, I would honestly rather do a 100% race at Baku (another track I hate) then do a single lap at Vietnam.

Not a lot to say about my race got wing damage at the start and then had a battle with @GTX_23x early on and that was about it.