England
Round 4 - Chinese Grand Prix
AOR Hype Energy F1 Leagues - Season 20

Race Information:
Date: Sunday 27th September 2020
Start Time: 8:00pm (UK time)
Circuit: Shanghai International Circuit
Laps: 28

Please try to be online at least 10 minutes before the start time, and await the lobby invite from the League Coordinator and/or the lobby host. Also please ensure your internet connection is in an optimal state at the time of racing.

Notes:
Rules & regulations: Before you take to the track in the league race, make sure you are fully aware of the rules & regulations of the leagues. As a driver in our leagues, you are required to do your very best to ensure clean and fair racing at all times.

Lobby settings: If you are unsure about the lobby settings that will be used for the race, look here.

No-shows: If you are unable to attend the race, please inform the League Coordinator and leave a post in this thread BEFORE the race takes place. Note the rules of participation here.

Useful Links:
League Rules
League Information
Race Calendar

Confirmed no-shows:
-

DON SILVA

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
London
If I don’t score points here then I won’t score any until halfway through the season.

timbob4321

Pro Karter
Jun 24, 2020
UK
Is there like a league table to keep track of results anywhere?
Edit: Sorry just saw it

Last edited:

iJokeri22

Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
England
Only done a few laps round here on this game but its usually a track I go alright at and I could do with a good result after just 1 point in the last 2 races.

timbob4321

Pro Karter
Jun 24, 2020
UK
What a race! @Simon Besnard that was possible the greatest battle I've ever been in at the end! Also thanks to @GTX_23x for causing the safety car and making such an interesting end. Shouldn't have pitted though, think I could've got P3/P4 if I didn't. In the end it was P%. ON the last lap I was behind @Oner Schumacher (who hadn't pitted) and thought I wasn't going to get him. Was going for the divebomb into the hairpin but he covered it really well. Went for the switchback but broke my wing against him. We were side by side coming into the final corner but I swooped round the outside and got the place. Quite pleased with that move

Reactions: Simon Besnard

Simon Besnard

Formula Karter
Dec 21, 2019
France
What a race! @Simon Besnard that was possible the greatest battle I've ever been in at the end! Also thanks to @GTX_23x for causing the safety car and making such an interesting end. Shouldn't have pitted though, think I could've got P3/P4 if I didn't. In the end it was P%. ON the last lap I was behind @Oner Schumacher (who hadn't pitted) and thought I wasn't going to get him. Was going for the divebomb into the hairpin but he covered it really well. Went for the switchback but broke my wing against him. We were side by side coming into the final corner but I swooped round the outside and got the place. Quite pleased with that move
Sorry I squeezed you a little bit sometimes but I think I left you most of the time enough to work with. Unfortunately I massively bottled and ended up in the wall

Simon Besnard

Formula Karter
Dec 21, 2019
France
Such a shitty race. Already in qualification I blocked @olavstar which pretty much ruined my confidence as I knew I'll get a pen and yeah just I felt bad about it.

Then in race shitty start, I fall from P3 to P5. I battle the all race with @MrJoshua but just I didn't have any confidence from T7 to T12 so clearly not ideal.

The SC could have been beneficial for me if I didn't choose the medium which then putted me on the backfoot to catch the leaders and to defend against @timbob4321 with who I had a great battle. Really hard but always fair-play even though I feel like sometimes I could have let some more space but yeah at this point I was just desperate to comeback, so much that I ended up spinning lap 27 out of 28 T12 like the idiot I am.

Honestly I don't even know who won and everything but congrats to the persons on the podiums

olavstar

Pro Karter
Jul 29, 2020
netherlands
I'll make my highlights in the coming week. Still need to redo the vietnam one cause my edit program failed, will have that one ready after the china one, this was a very fun race in the end coming from the back (with a lucky sc) to p3.

Bankai_Bullett

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Apr 4, 2015
I'll make my highlights in the coming week. Still need to redo the vietnam one cause my edit program failed, will have that one ready after the china one, this was a very fun race in the end coming from the back (with a lucky sc) to p3.
You lucked out BIG time with that SC lol

Stellar driving from the back though to be fair.

Reactions: olavstar

iJokeri22

Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
England
Q: 13th
Didn't bother going out in the rain as my forecast said it was going to dry up after 10 minutes apparently other people had rain for the whole session on their forecast which was strange.
Anyway went out and did my first lap when the track was still a bit damp so I only managed a 31.6.
Rushed back to the pits and had to rush back out in order to get to the line on time I came out the final corner with 3 seconds left and it went to 0 just after I crossed the DRS line so I lifted off but when I crossed the line the game allowed me to start the lap but having already lifted off I was going to slow to do a lap.

So anyway started 13th when my pb would have put me 4th so that was annoying.

R: 8th M-H-S
Not a great start but managed to get up to 10th thanks to an incident in front and from there I was sitting quite comfortably behind @Sneaky24-7Ninja and in front of @GTX_23x stayed like that for the first 6 laps before @GTX_23x passed me at the hairpin as all the soft runners went in to the pits so I was then running 3rd for the rest of the first stint didn't quite have the pace of the front two I was losing about 0.1/0.2 a lap so the gap slowly opened up.

Having been planning a S-H race I had no idea how long to take the mediums so I was just watching @Bankai_Bullett and @GTX_23x in front and waiting for one of them to pit, followed Bankai in on lap 13 and came out the pits right in to the middle of a big fight between @schumizeu and @Sneaky24-7Ninja I tried to stay as tight to the inside as possible but I think they both made contact with each other and Sneaky ended up spinning sorry if I got in the way but I don't think I was at fault.

Got past Vlarichello easily as he had wing damage and chased down @Alexis in front who was on older hard tyres made a great overtake around the outside of the turn 6 hairpin for a net 8th position, Alexis was then able to stay in my DRS for a few laps before I eventually managed to drop him only to go and spin on lap 21 no idea why I accelerated out of the hairpin exactly as I did on every other lap and the car just spun (starting to realise this game is very inconsistent)

A lap later the SC came out and I wasn't sure if I should pit or stay out I decided to pit for softs which was probably a mistake.
Took the restart in 11th passed @siiir_kelvin for 10th and got 9th when @Simon Besnard crashed and then took 8th at the end thanks to penalties.
Had I stayed out I would have had a good chance of 4th but live and learn.

Congrats to the top 3 championship is looking a lot closer now.

Reactions: Alexis

Bankai_Bullett

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Apr 4, 2015
Adrenaline has worn off and I've had time to collect my thoughts.

WHAT AN EVENING!!!

Okay, to start off we get a wet to dry Quali session, despite the weather team at Renault saying "Yeah nah, it'll be wet the whole time".... liars :unsure:
Anyway, I was always gonna qualify on the M tyre. That was my strategy going in, so when it dried up that's what I did.
Drove my ass off for that 31.4... which was my PB on that tyre so I was happy with it.
Start P12. Not too bad, considering everyone else was on the S tyre.

Race start was great. Got a mega launch on tyres that weren't up to temp and managed to out-drag past @Sneaky24-7Ninja's McLaren in front of me going into T1.
After that bit, it was simply stay out of trouble until everything settled down.
Got torpedoed a bit by @DON SILVA, who I thought had simply dropped his rear on the exit curb of T6... turns out he was having a whole other set of issues... but it didn't impact me in any way so off I went.

Took a couple of laps to latch onto the back of @Alexis... but I got him on L4 under DRS into T14 and after cutting off his cutback, proceeded to hunt down @timbob4321 in P6, which became P3 after the first stoppers entered the pitlane.

End of L5 and Tim's tyres were dead. I was all over him coming out of T14 and after he went wide out of the final corner I attempted to make the overtake down the pit straight. Only, Tim didn't acquiesce to my idea and fought for the position... which he was well entitled to do, but it did frustrate me a bit. Light contact was made and we were briefly tandem drifting through T2 & 3 :eek:
After that I just followed him for the lap and took P3 on the back straight under DRS... which became the race lead as every S runner around me came in on that lap.

So, here I am, not expecting better than P6-ish for the race... LEADING and with solid pace and imo, the better strategy. I might be on for a podium here :oops:

Looked at the board and saw @GTX_23x 1.5's behind on the same strat. My job for the next 7 or 8 laps was to keep the gap and keep him behind, which apparently I was more than capable of.

L10 and I'm starting to think about my stop... at this point the gap to GTX is bouncing between 1.4-1.9/2.0, so if I'm gonna get a gap on him, NOW is the time. I begin to stretch my legs a bit, hoping he can't come with me all that much.
I pit at the end of L13 with a gap of 2.3's and GTX continued on, which surprised me a little as I thought he was waiting for me to stop before making his... and I was trying to bait him into trying the undercut. Neither happened lol

Left the pitlane in P8, in front of Tim but behind @Simon Besnard and @MrJoshua in P7 & P6 respectively. They immediately become targets.

Latched onto them pretty soon... and that's it. We were matching each other's pace almost exactly, with me sitting at the back waiting for a mistake or their tyres to die off as I didn't have the outright pace to do anything against a DRS train... as otherworldly as my car was on the H tyre.

So this was the case for 6 or 7 laps, until L21 when I had a proper shot at Simon who I assumed had burned through his ERS. THEN, just as I made my overtake... the bloody SAFETY CAR is deployed!
Bit of a scramble, because it happened right on the apex of T14... and I had to avoid Joshua, who'd sort of just parked it on the exit. THEN I had to give Simon the place or I'd be getting penalised.
Out of all of this, I completely lose my head for a moment and forget to pit for fresh S. Frustration again.

That said, it may have been an inspired mistake because if I had pit, I'd have come out amongst a gaggle of cars. Sure, I'd have been on fresh tyres with a strong car, but it's still battling through a pack to finish somewhere near the front.

So here I am again... LEGITIMATELY leading the Chinese GP and about to perform my very first SC restart as a leader with 2 S tyre runners behind against my old rubber.

*Hungary S12 flashbacks*

SC comes in at the end of L24 and I just go balls to the wall. Max modes everywhere. I've never driven anything like that before.
Actually, those last 3 laps are a bit of a blur tbh... though I distinctly remember feeling my heart beat all the way through.

Took @ricardo91 until the very end of the race to finally get past me... I simply didn't have enough left to fight with. I'd thrown EVERYTHING at this chance.

So yeah... pretty mixed emotions.
One hand > First podium of hopefully a few this season. Solid points for Renault, securing P2 in both championships for the time being.
Other hand > BITTERLY disappointed at losing my first chance at a win by only 0.421 of a second.

Congrats to Ricardo for the win... and to @olavstar for P3. Lad had extraordinary luck with the SC to make a H-S strat work.

But now, I'm motivated. I WILL get a win this season... SOMEHOW!

olavstar

Pro Karter
Jul 29, 2020
netherlands
You lucked out BIG time with that SC lol

Stellar driving from the back though to be fair.
Yeah, SC came out the moment I drove into the pit, so that was very lucky, without SC I would be in p9 or something, but its nice to have some luck in the race after being unlucky in qualifying. Stint on the hards was very strong, but couldn't get the softs to work in the end. Very happy with my first podium in AOR (witch should've been in bahrain already if I didn't throw that one away).