PC - Round 4 - Russian Grand Prix [05/11/17 8:00pm] | ApexOnlineRacing.com

PC Round 4 - Russian Grand Prix [05/11/17 8:00pm]

Douwe_C

Pro Karter
Aug 10, 2017
So my race yesterday was quite a struggle. After the start going down the straight towards turn one I was very lucky not to crash out completely. Not sure what really happened there, but I got caught up in a Dutch sandwich. I have seen the footage from @gameguy nl, and it looks like he had that F1 2016 glitch (Which I thought had been fixed) where his car got glued to mine which send us both to the left for some reason, and so we completed the Dutch sandwich with @RichyB. I hope it didn't cause him any damage as well as it was rather unfortunate for the three of us. On the other hand I would like to say that the way @gameguy nl tried to go three wide with us into turn one was a bit opportunistic and again like we talked about after the last race, I don't think it is worth it to take so much risk into turn one as it could end a lot of peoples races in tears as well as your own race.

However, it did not end there for me sadly enough. After surviving the sandwich I had to give back two positions as the game thought I overtook those guys illegally where, as you can see from my footage, I am just driving on track. So I don't really know why that happened. After giving back the positions and losing a couple more in the process, we were almost going four cars wide into turn 4 where on the straight between 3 and 4 I got hit by @Jozzers who wanted to overtake the Red Bull of @IntergalacticGentleman if I'm correct. Also a rather unfortunate situation. I am not sure whether it could be seen by @Jozzers that I was right there from red arrows that normally appear on the screen, or that perhaps some lag spoiled the party, but it was all just rather unfortunate again.

The rest of the race however was pretty solid from my part. During the early pitstop I went on the soft tires to go to the end, and the pace was actually pretty good. Managed to put it on the podium in the end after driving clean and only concede one time penalty for corner cutting or track extending. So overall I am pretty satisfied looking at the start I had.

Would also like to hear from some more of you how you thought the start went this time in comparison to the last time. I believe that @Jonnard had an unfortunate start where he crashed into the wall after being hit by another driver. I think it is important to keep the air on the grid clean and sort every incident together out. I believe that in this way we can keep the atmosphere positive and we can all have good motivation to race cleanly again the next race. Let me know how you all think about this.

Jozzers

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Apr 22, 2014
After viewing several videos from the same incidents off the grid and the first few turn, I think the issues may not just be our abilities, in my video I got caught up with RichyB to the left of you guys and fractionally behind, in Jonnards it shows pretty much the same me aside him and then veering left with Richy and the other 2/3 cars but @IntergalacticGentleman's vid shows me ploughing through Jonnard like he's not there, sparks a plenty.

@Douwe_C yes I knew you was close but thought you was clear as the arrow went white, saying that there was another arrow there as HeadSquid went down the inside and after slamming up the arse of someone twice in the chaos and losing my wing I didn't want to do it again. :( Didn't get anything on my wheel or car, so sorry for causing that I thought I was clear of you...

As I have mentioned before to some others there was some serious lag issues going on here I think this week as most of the field had the little 'sh1t connection' icon instead of the flag, not that I encountered many of you beyond the first lap, terrible race, terrible track.

All this being said, some of the driving off the grid and into the first few turns this week was pretty questionable, I don't want to point fingers as we all know if we are guilty of it so lets all just remember that one of the main reasons we have joined this league is to avoid the melee and nonsense an open public lobby can generally guarantee to provide.

We have nurtured a good community off the track so as I have said before lets keep that respect going when we all fly off the grid. I took the pain in my incidents along with paying for other peoples, but others like @Jonnard whose race was over before it began through no fault of his own and @RichyB whose first taste of a league race was to be nearly triple slammed into the wall 400 yards off the starting grid (great recovery drive to 4/5th I think from him) isn't what we all want I'm sure.

Let's not ruin anothers night for the sake of one corner, in Monaco we can all do that ourselves :) but for now, on to Spain where I'm hoping to recapture some form.. and hopefully both Ferraris will be back on the grid.

Finally, congrats to @EditedStorm27 for the victory, solid weekend by the looks of it, and atop the standings (when I update them)

Jonnard

Formula Karter
Aug 19, 2017
I mean in general guys don't be so greedy, you have a whole race to make overtakes not just the first lap. After this i am pretty frustrated that i got slammed again ending my race making my championship standings ruined as well as the constructors championship. I hope people take something from this as Spain has a fastish first corner and hopefully we can have a clean race

Reactions: Biolite80

EditedStorm27

Formula 3 Test Driver
Jul 26, 2016
I would just like to say I didn't see the carnage on lap 1 as I was too busy trying to outbreak @TRL_graveltrap into turn 1 nut I am sorry for any drivers whose races were ruined in that opening straight as I know how annoying it is to be involved in an incident that is not my fault. As to my race I was very surprised to get my first ever pole as I never thought I was good at Russia. After that I had a brilliant battle with @TRL_graveltrap who was very aggressive but fair at the same time. I ended up dummying the undercut and had a 3 second gap to him which I held throughout the race as he had too many penalties and he had to back off. But I cannot believe I am now leading the standings and I am sure it should be a great title fight between me, @Jozzers and maybe @Douwe_C and @TRL_graveltrap as well as they have shown great pace. I cannot wait to race all of you guys next week at spain.

Reactions: Jozzers

RichyB

Reigning S14 AOR PC Assist 2 Champion
Oct 16, 2017
Fair play for putting it on the podium @Douwe_C great recovery!
Yeah the race start was quite unfortunate. I feel like my getaway in first gear was very good. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, @ITMRacing took off a little bit later than the rest of the grid, so I had to lift a bit but still lost a bit of my front wing. Then in "turn" 1 I didn't realize we were three wide. If I knew I would have left more room. When we made contact it was already to late because I lost the back end and was the passanger rather than the driver of my own car. I'm sorry to hear that @Douwe_C got illegal overtakes for that incident, because he was definitely not at fault here. In my oppinion @gameguy nl wasn't at fault either. I saw his onboard and he definitely had room to go side by side with @Douwe_C and me. So basically I'm blaming myself for this one even though it wasn't intentional. Because of this incident I lost the left side of my front wing and had to pit after lap one like many others.

From this point my race was very enjoyable. I had great pace and overtook some cars, but lost a lot of time in the proces. I realized that I couldn't take my supersofts to the end so I had to make an extra pitstop to go on the ultrasoft tires. On my ultrasoft stint I pushed to set the fastest lap and succeeded! In doing this, @gameguy nl came out of the pits just behind me. This resulted in a fun battle p6 on track, during out battling we caught up to @IntergalacticGentleman who was on a worn set of supersofts if I remember correctly. After battling some more gameguy nl finished 5th, I finished 6th and IntergalacticGentleman finished 7th on track. Luckily, I finished 4th due to some penaltys.

Congratulations to the race winners and I can't wait for the race in Spain!

Reactions: Jozzers

Head Squid

GP2 Reserve Driver
Aug 24, 2017
So my race yesterday was quite a struggle. After the start going down the straight towards turn one I was very lucky not to crash out completely. Not sure what really happened there, but I got caught up in a Dutch sandwich. I have seen the footage from @gameguy nl, and it looks like he had that F1 2016 glitch (Which I thought had been fixed) where his car got glued to mine which send us both to the left for some reason, and so we completed the Dutch sandwich with @RichyB. I hope it didn't cause him any damage as well as it was rather unfortunate for the three of us. On the other hand I would like to say that the way @gameguy nl tried to go three wide with us into turn one was a bit opportunistic and again like we talked about after the last race, I don't think it is worth it to take so much risk into turn one as it could end a lot of peoples races in tears as well as your own race.

However, it did not end there for me sadly enough. After surviving the sandwich I had to give back two positions as the game thought I overtook those guys illegally where, as you can see from my footage, I am just driving on track. So I don't really know why that happened. After giving back the positions and losing a couple more in the process, we were almost going four cars wide into turn 4 where on the straight between 3 and 4 I got hit by @Jozzers who wanted to overtake the Red Bull of @IntergalacticGentleman if I'm correct. Also a rather unfortunate situation. I am not sure whether it could be seen by @Jozzers that I was right there from red arrows that normally appear on the screen, or that perhaps some lag spoiled the party, but it was all just rather unfortunate again.

The rest of the race however was pretty solid from my part. During the early pitstop I went on the soft tires to go to the end, and the pace was actually pretty good. Managed to put it on the podium in the end after driving clean and only concede one time penalty for corner cutting or track extending. So overall I am pretty satisfied looking at the start I had.

Would also like to hear from some more of you how you thought the start went this time in comparison to the last time. I believe that @Jonnard had an unfortunate start where he crashed into the wall after being hit by another driver. I think it is important to keep the air on the grid clean and sort every incident together out. I believe that in this way we can keep the atmosphere positive and we can all have good motivation to race cleanly again the next race. Let me know how you all think about this.

At around 50 seconds is when I got my front wing broken going 3 wide like that

Douwe_C

Pro Karter
Aug 10, 2017
@Douwe_C what bitrate and software did you use to record that footage as the quality is excellent
Thanks! I am using Shadowplay which came with the software for my Geforce GTX 760 GPU. And I am using 50 mbs as the bitrate. I have a SSD where I save the footage so that works pretty good.

EditedStorm27

Formula 3 Test Driver
Jul 26, 2016
Thanks! I am using Shadowplay which came with the software for my Geforce GTX 760 GPU. And I am using 50 mbs as the bitrate. I have a SSD where I save the footage so that works pretty good.
@Douwe_C that explains it as I only use around 2 mbps on Open Broadcasting software to save space an otherwise it clogs up very quickly

Levitikan

Pro Karter
Jul 31, 2017
i had a good start then put in the wall when @ITMRacing was avoiding a slow car. Kinda annoying how the tip of the wing can be hit and it moves the entire car. My incident with ITM and what happened to @Head Squid from my POV

Reactions: Head Squid