PC - Round 4 - Russian Grand Prix [05/11/17 8:00pm] | ApexOnlineRacing.com

PC Round 4 - Russian Grand Prix [05/11/17 8:00pm]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil Bywater

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 20, 2014
What d'ya mean by erratic? I think I had my usual race pace, even a bit better than usual.

Also, sorry @Smu3l3y but I didn't feel anything in there
At one point when I overtook you around lap 20ish you were off track (at end of the back DRS straight(bend) and seemed to be all over the place. Perhaps you'd had an incident. I also remember some other issue, but can't recall what it was now.

I'll need to get my recording working again.

Kiinako

S14 AOR PC F7 Champion
Sep 20, 2017
At one point when I overtook you around lap 20ish you were off track (at end of the back DRS straight(bend) and seemed to be all over the place. Perhaps you'd had an incident.
Oh, yeah. Somewhere along the way I rekt my front wing and apparently my tires, so I had to limp back to the pits. Wasn't a fun time.

• Informative
Reactions: Neil Bywater

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Q: 7th

Was struggling with setups that I couldn't race. TT I think I only was getting 1:35.3 so it was a last minute change to go 4-6 and minimal changes to a Default (preset 3) setup. Was disappointed to make a messy 1:36.2 on the first run and I think the 1:35.8 there was still room for improvement in a few corners. Was sat 4th as I crossed the line so was amazed to be in 7th when qualifying ended. Lots of drivers improved as the track rubbered up.

R: 4th US/SS (10)

All my race sims had the first stint going to Lap 11 and the grip just leaving the tyre sets towards the end of the stints. There was also rain in the socials and practices. It was at the back of my mind and I think I didn't get the best start slipping to 9th. But there was obvious shenanigans behind me on the first lap, so glad to be starting a little higher than usual as mid-pack seems to be more prone to incidents. It really is about making the first couple of corners cleanly, you can't race if you have to pit and re-strategise. This was how last season's Russia race went and I was frustrated to run at the same pace as the main pack but was already a lap down and finished 15th.

I was definitely on the back of the lead pack for quite a while and it came down to mistakes mainly to make the places; I wasn't really racing quickly enough to actually do much challenging but I was there to capitalise when incidents occurred or to run well in clean air as people started to pit.

This was pretty much the way of the second stint; a slight overfuelling allowed me to push hard for the first half dozen lap on the fresh set and I didn't encounter much traffic. This allowed me to keep it tidy and run just outside the top 6. When @SexySpudflaps quit and @acerees and @Kiinako had to pit after a clash I made my way into a podium position.

@KaneJr00 was recovering from his early incident and I was only holding the gap when I pushed hard, he started to close as I had to run a little more conservatively. I was pleased I'd not added to my very early track limits penalty but I was on my second warning for another and had no idea if he had anything.

So, the last couple of laps I made the car as wide as possible and just trusted to luck. Unfortunately for me, he'd driven a clean race and although I crossed the line 3rd, my penalty demoted me to 4th. I have to push for podiums and that is now the target rather than being happy just to get in the points. If I can keep the improvement in qualifying then I might be able to make some good points for the team.

SexySpudflaps

Formula 3 2nd Driver
Apr 8, 2016
On another note, I get that people might be unhappy about things that happen in the race, but a simple sorry should do fine in the race surely? Rather than discussing it? Because there around 20 other people still racing and trying to focus. Incidents get sorted afterwards in the stewards panel, not a lot to be done while still racing. The chatter is quite distracting

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
On another note, I get that people might be unhappy about things that happen in the race, but a simple sorry should do fine in the race surely? Rather than discussing it? Because there around 20 other people still racing and trying to focus. Incidents get sorted afterwards in the stewards panel, not a lot to be done while still racing. The chatter is quite distracting
We're always trying to reach the balance between banter and what you talk about. It's been mentioned before, but I do believe we need to make our positions clear during the race. By all means, acknowledge if there was a contact or make sure the other party is aware if their on-track actions don't match your expectations. It's difficult to always keep this in mind in the heat of the moment sometimes.

Everyone's read this (I hope)

3. General Behaviour:

3.1 Communication:

● Please use a working headset while in the race lobby in order to effectively receive any potential messages or instructions from the League Coordinator. Having the ability to communicate with other drivers during the race can also make it easier to avoid - and resolve - any on-track incidents that may occur. Using a headset is not mandatory, but desirable.

Please note that you should set your headset to "Push to talk"-mode.

PC leagues will have access to a Discord server which acts as the official game chat.

3.2 Lobby etiquette:

● Shouting, name-calling and generally speaking rudely is not acceptable. Drivers who are a disruptive influence on the lobby atmosphere will be penalised accordingly, or in extreme cases removed from the league.

● Respect the other drivers. Keep a friendly atmosphere in the race lobby and treat your fellow drivers as equals, regardless of them being quicker or slower than you.

● Respect the League Coordinator. Listen if they are giving a message, and accept the decisions they make. If you feel any actions/decisions are wrong, address the issue calmly and maturely. Coordinators' decisions are final within the lobby, but may be reviewed later if you feel an error has been made. Please accept that making a call instantly can be tricky and the Coordinator, even if participating in the race, is expected to be entirely neutral.

● Only the Coordinator - or the lobby host after consulting with the Coordinator - will start the lobby, continue over to the race and start the race. So please, as a normal driver, do not press the button which initiates the timer. This is to ensure that all the drivers are present, and also that all necessary screenshots of the results can be taken.

3.3 Race etiquette:

● If you are involved in an on-track incident, don't overreact. It may be frustrating, but you need to stay calm and get on with it. Losing out due to another driver's mistake or recklessness is no excuse for retaliation or acting against the rules.

● If another driver does something you feel is against the rules, report it to the Stewards Panel after the race rather than argue about it over the voice chat.

● If you are having a bad race, don't act foolishly. As a driver, you have to accept that some races will be better than others and you can't always have it your way. If you are unable to enjoy the racing due to not always being at the front, this is not the place for you - there are many drivers in the league, and someone always have to be at the back.

yoan97222

Reigning AOR PC F1 Split 5 Champion
Sep 22, 2016
Quali : 9th
I didn't train a lot for this race and this track is quite difficult with all of this potential corner cutting that was my main problem. My 2nd lap was very good but unfortunately it happened ! I cutted the track. The fuel was limited but i tried to go for a final lap as i had enough time to cross the line. I was a little bit nervous and finaly improved but my lap could have been really better.

Race : 8th
from 9th place everything was still possible. The midpack start is always very tough and only cost me a yellow front wing :angelic:(by being hitting from behind). @Clint58 was behind and i know he is a very good driver as we had awesome battling in barhain but he get the inside on turn 2 and i had to go wide while staying side by side and i probably was to close. My front wheel was in front of his back wheel we made contact and both finished in the wall and lost the front wing. From there i decided to finish the race on soft.
It was a tough race. My pace was bad with this tyres and wasn't consistent. I managed to get some laps at 1:39:XX but with corner cutting or going wide while trying to push it was 1:40:XX or 1:41:XX and i didn't even care about the tyre wear which is usually very good on this track.
I crossed the line in 11th and gained some positons with all the penalties the guys in front had.

I'll do my best to be more competitive in spain.(this kind of track suits me best :))

I'll upload my footage soon.

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
@Kiinako was awarded a 5 second time penalty as a result of a collision and I have amended the results accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.