Mar 30, 2018
Round 5 - Spanish Grand Prix
AOR Hype Energy F1 Leagues - Season 16

Race Information:
Date: Sunday 11th November 2018
Start Time: 8:00pm (UK time)
Circuit: Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya
Laps: 33

Please try to be online at least 10 minutes before the start time, and await the lobby invite from the League Coordinator and/or the lobby host. Also please ensure your internet connection is in an optimal state at the time of racing.

Notes:
Rules & regulations: Before you take to the track in the league race, make sure you are fully aware of the rules & regulations of the leagues. As a driver in our leagues, you are required to do your very best to ensure clean and fair racing at all times.

Lobby settings: If you are unsure about the lobby settings that will be used for the race, look here.

No-shows: If you are unable to attend the race, please inform the League Coordinator and leave a post in this thread BEFORE the race takes place. Note the rules of participation here.

Useful Links:
Results & Standings
League Rules
League Information
Race Calendar

Confirmed no-shows:
-

leefindlay04

Formula 3 Reserve Driver
Mar 26, 2018
This is a circuit I enjoy driving, but I’m one that is quite hard on my tyres, and this track is awful for tyre wear, hopefully I can bounce back from Baku and get a good result

Tactician109

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Mar 30, 2018
I don't really have positive or negative feelings towards this track. Not sure what to expect but like Lee said above, tyre wear is a major concern around here. Any amount of points would be welcome, we'll see.

leefindlay04

Formula 3 Reserve Driver
Mar 26, 2018
I don't really have positive or negative feelings towards this track. Not sure what to expect but like Lee said above, tyre wear is a major concern around here. Any amount of points would be welcome, we'll see.
I guess our race then is with eachother since we’re on a pad

Casper24-F1

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Mar 20, 2018
Spain Preview:

Won here last season in F3 :) I remember it was wet, and I decided to go for the one stop, the tyres were gone in the end!
Speaking about tyre management, I think that's what we all have to do in Spain tomorrow
Strategy will be important here ;)
I'm looking forward to the race, I hope you guys do as well!

leefindlay04

Formula 3 Reserve Driver
Mar 26, 2018
Well the race was so unfortunate for me, because I disconnected in between quali and the race so I couldn’t take control of my car as my car was vanished when I rejoined. I messed up my final run anyway, but I would’ve been in the top 5 for sure if I did a good enough lap, but it didn’t matter anyway as I had connection issues. Look forward to Monaco where it’ll probably be a crazy race ;)

Tactician109

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Mar 30, 2018
Spain Spectacle

Qualifying Position: 3rd
Finishing Position: 2nd

Interesting race, to say the least. Spain was certainly an entertaining event and I very much enjoyed all the racing and battles I had. Pace was surprisingly strong and had there not have been some unlucky Safety Car shenanigans, I could have battled for the race win. It was not meant to be this time, but happy regardless.

Qualifying started off in a slightly dramatic fashion for me as I almost binned it to the wall after a snap of oversteer on the exit of turn 9. I just about managed to steer my car in a way that avoided heavy contact with the front right tyre and thus I was good to continue. Anyway, I knew from practice that Supersofts would be completely useless in the race and put on the Softs and managed to pull off a decent lap. The first 2 sectors were quite average at best but I nailed the last sector almost perfectly which was enough for a 3rd place on the grid. I was very pleased with that lap, combined with the joy that my teammate @kieranrp got the pole position.

Race start was maybe the best I've ever had as I had blistering acceleration off the line and was already up to 1st by the time we approached the first corner. I was on the outside, however, and with @Thomas_Scibilia having a go at it as well, I decided to brake earlier and try to follow Prenta through the first few corners. RC_Spider may have had to take slight avoiding action in the second corner but it was fair racing regardless.

It didn't take too long until the first Safety Car came out and Prenta agreed with me that he should pit under the SC, considering he started the race on the Supersofts. Thus I gained the lead of the race and for the second consecutive race running, I had to control the SC restart from the lead of the race. Unlike Baku, I knew what I wanted to do this time as I wanted to have the best acceleration possible for the main straight as to not get overtaken and that worked in the end, even with losing the rear end slightly on cold tyres.

@Sean van Belkom was hounding me for the next few laps but I was feeling quite comfortable for the time being as I was able to control the race pretty well. However, yet another Safety Car went out and I knew that meant a showdown on the pit lane was about to happen. Unfortunately, I lost that battle as I was held up in the pits long enough that Sean and RC_Spider both got ahead of me and that demoted me back to net 3rd place.

I was certainly annoyed by that as I couldn't really do anything to avoid it and I had driven such a good first stint before the second SC period. Even more drama was to be had though as the Safety Car restart was a weird one where the cars ahead had to slow down a lot and I had to pretty much slam the brakes on the exit of the last corner which compromised basically everyone's straight line speed and I knew it couldn't end well with 5-7 cars side-by-side Nascar style.

Indeed, I believe it was @JIM_pasti who lost his car on the sand trap in the second corner and his car came back across the track, very much akin to Grosjean's incident earlier this season and everyone had to take some sort of avoiding action. I was extremely lucky to just about avoid the carnage even though my right rear tyre took a hit from Pasti's car but it didn't cause me any damage or spins.

After all that chaos, things finally calmed down and I put my head down in the chase for a podium and a possible race win. There were people on various strategies and some people in front of me hadn't pitted yet so I was still on net 3rd place with Sean and @xTheHEaglex in 1st and 2nd respectively.

I wasn't actually aware at the time that Eagle was on 6 laps older Mediums than I was. Regardless, it was a magnificent fight for position and I must give huge props for Eagle for the perfect defensive driving he did for about 15 laps. I was clearly faster than him but simply couldn't find a place to overtake. It must be said that I could have done much better as I often got a bad exit from the last corner and couldn't close the gap enough by the end of the main straight. I had a few looks into turns 4 and 10 but Eagle always managed to get the better of me.

Amidst the battles me and Eagle had, @VP_DamnDqniel snuck up on me and at one lap we had a scrap going into turn 1 in which I slightly moved under braking (although Daniel was already alongside me) and Daniel unfortunately got unlucky with the contact model and had a half-spin. I actually lost footage of my race so I cannot prove my point that I didn't feel any contact but regardless, it was an unlucky incident and I apologize to Daniel for that.

Eventually, I did managed to get past into turn 10 by getting my elbows out and it definitely wasn't the most cleanest of overtakes but it was just about clean enough with no damage dealt to either of us. Sean was already close to 10 seconds ahead of me at that time so the rest of the race was about managing the tyres which had been affected by all the battling I had. Think my rear left tyre was 83 percent by the time we finished the race and luckily I avoided a tyre puncture and at the same time managed to make enough to gap to keep the 2nd place as I had a single 3sec time penalty.

Exciting race, all in all, but like @OTG said in the commentary, it was a case of "what could have been" in the race. Pace was very strong even with very little practice and tyre management wasn't as much of an issue as I expected, although it may have been helped by the few SC periods.

Congrats to Sean for another race win, sometimes you have to get a little bit lucky. Also congrats to Prenta who I believe will keep his 3rd place after penalties have been removed from the utterly weird incident Codemasters orchestrated but we'll see.

Monaco's next and I can't wait. See ya there

Last edited: