Jan 14, 2014
Round 8 - Azerbaijan Grand Prix
AOR F1 2017 Season 14

Race Information:
Date: Sunday 3rd December 2017
Start Time: 8:00pm (UK time)
Circuit: Baku City Circuit
Laps: 26

Please try to be online at least 10 minutes before the start time, and await the lobby invite from the League Coordinator and/or the lobby host. Also please ensure your internet connection is in an optimal state at the time of racing.

Notes:
Rules & regulations: Before you take to the track in the league race, make sure you are fully aware of the rules & regulations of the leagues. As a driver in our leagues, you are required to do your very best to ensure clean and fair racing at all times.

Lobby settings: If you are unsure about the lobby settings that will be used for the race, look here.

No-shows: If you are unable to attend the race, please inform the League Coordinator and leave a post in this thread BEFORE the race takes place. Note the rules of participation here.

Useful Links:
Results & Standings
League Rules
League Information
Race Calendar

Confirmed no-shows:
-

Jipper

Reigning S14 AOR PC F6 Champion
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
May 24, 2017
Never raced online here, so this should be interesting!?

Flips

Formula 4 1st Driver
Dec 31, 2016
After two consecutive DNS' it has punished me hard in the Championship Standings. Hopefully, I'll be back here this Sunday with a good result (hopefully a podium).

Looking forward to this Azerbjaijeanaejn race (hate the name of the circuit)...

Lamp

Premium Member
Premium Member
Apr 14, 2017
mad i missed. doing 12 hours of practice for each race at least. see you guys in the standings. mad lamp :( <3

ApplePhysics

Formula 4 Test Driver
Jan 23, 2017
Quali - P7? - Pretty nice session; Did the one lap that stayed as P1 for a long time before being beaten by many and losing the back leading onto the straight. Not too unhappy, though.

Race: P5 Boxed in a bit at the start and lost a couple of positions before going side-by-side with @MAGNUSSEN for a few corners which was fun. Finally made the move stick and from there pumped in consistent laps until the pit window where Jeff had a mare of a call and put the wrong tyres on, meaning I had to pit an extra time. Took the new supers to their end before having a slight incident with @Lamp , losing time but being able to catch and pass @Scott_Aitchison for 5th place, with 2 laps to go. Overall a good race and nice to finish this time out, especially on a track like baku.

Flips

Formula 4 1st Driver
Dec 31, 2016
Qualifying:
This time it's the Azerbaijeanadnadhban Grand Prix. After a wet qualifying, I managed to get Pole Position, even though I made a huge mistake that cost me 0.400 seconds. With just 0:00.149 seconds between me and the runner-up @Jipper
Qualifying Lap: 1:55.155 (w)
Pole Position - P1

Race:
I was really looking forward to this race, after been missing out in both Monaco and Canada. Great qualifying for my teammate @TwoFiftySix who started P3.
At lap 1 I got a decent start on the start/finish-straight and managed to keep myself in P1.

From lap 1 to lap 11 nothing happened... felt like a Time Trial.

On lap 11 both me and @Jipper went into the pit for the first and only pit stop, for the Soft Tyres. (which was actually the only time we had a "battle)

After the pit stop, I managed to get the Fastest Lap of the time with only 0:00.030 seconds in front of @ApplePhysics, but I could have gone way faster but didn't wanna ruin a huge chance of my first win in AOR League Racing.

The last few laps I relaxed. Over 12.000 seconds gap between me and @Jipper.

I am so grateful for both my Pole Position, Fastest Lap and my first ever Win in AOR. It's been one of the most boring racing to Win... but a win is a win.

- Unlucky for @Lamp he retired from qualifying and had to start P13 in the race (but managed to get P4 in the end).

Sauber received 40 points today - which is amazing! Double Podium and a Win for both me and @TwoFiftySix.

Qualifying:
Pole Position - 1st

Race:
First Ever AOR Win - 1st

I'll see you all at the Red Bull Ring. Hopefully we can gain the lead of the Constructors Championship at Round 8k, we're only 4 points behind Hass F1 Team. (@TwoFiftySix)

Lamp

Premium Member
Premium Member
Apr 14, 2017
I would like to preface this post by apologizing for my attitude lately,

I have been under an immense amount of stress from school family and streaming and it comes out sideways at you guys. You're all awesome and i know we all share the same passion for this game, sometimes my passion comes out as anger and my frustration leads to poor sportsmanship. I know we all want to win that is why we are here, sorry @ApplePhysics for the shunt i just really wanted the podium and how i reacted in turn 3 and the last major turn were not necessary but when you do the math I had a chance at podium so i wanted to fight. A lot of my frustrations stemmed from missing the race in Canada by about 1 minute.

@Flips beautiful drive congratz on your first p1 ever that's amazing and an awesome feeling. I'm still waiting to get my first real p1 because both victorys have been due to the person infront of me bottling their race, @Cheeese in Bahrain and the unfortunate @Flips in Spain.

My race was pretty ****, was honestly in my head way too much and too angry for some reason. Did a bottle job in Quali during an OUTLAP which put me p13 on the grid.

My start however had mixed feelings, i got 2 or 3 places off the line headed to corner one was a little late on the breaks the feild backed up a bit and i believe someone made contact with my left rear which sent me spinning.

From this point i was extra determined and extra angry. i was p12 or something @R.A.J. and someone else were trying to figure out on the track whos position was whos and breaking really funny but i got past both of them, after a lap i caught back up with the feild, i passed around 4 cars with DRS until i came up to @Andrei Ivan who messed up Turn 3 and i got passed but then proceeded to dive bomb in front of me into the wall turn 4 so i was back to fighting and had a damaged wing,

i pitted a lap earlier than @ApplePhysics and @TwoFiftySix which put a gap down from 10 seconds to 3, and i was really happy, i chased down @ApplePhysics who put the incorrect tire on and wanted to get past becuase i knew two fifty was about 3 seconds up the road and i had a shot at a podium.

All these incidents from earlier got me heated and i shunted @ApplePhysics off the track, handed him the position back, Last Turn of the track apple and i are battling he goes wide then rejoins on my right rear and i didnt feel like battling down the shikane so i let him go. @ApplePhysics pits and im 9 seconds away from @TwoFiftySix with 5 laps to go

I'm going about 1.2 seconds a lap faster then @TwoFiftySix but couldnt get there in the end, if i didnt push the incident with @ApplePhysics i might have got podium.

All in all every incident probably set me back around 18 seconds and theirs is my "Time Penalty" if you will lolololololol.

Good race to everyone,

Sorry for my rage ill be better behaved, i know i pissed most of you off with my immature attitude this race and I hope you can accept my apology,

Ill try to keep things a little "Brighter",

Lamp

video below

Scott_Aitchison

Formula 3 Test Driver
Jun 27, 2015
Q- 5th
R- 6th

My lap in qualifying could have been better, didn't have the time ti set a better lap because of the timings with @Jipper held me up in the pits and I ran out of time. Race start was ok, was trying to be cautious but a few people were more aggressive than me so I fell back to 10th. On lap 12, @Jipper came out of the pits behind me, I let him through as I didn't want to hold him up. Most of my race was pretty boring and I was running on my own. Overall happy to have finished on a track where I feel off the pace and a track where I felt sure that I was not going to finish on. My POV is below:

Flips

Formula 4 1st Driver
Dec 31, 2016
I would like to preface this post by apologizing for my attitude lately,

I have been under an immense amount of stress from school family and streaming and it comes out sideways at you guys. You're all awesome and i know we all share the same passion for this game, sometimes my passion comes out as anger and my frustration leads to poor sportsmanship. I know we all want to win that is why we are here, sorry @ApplePhysics for the shunt i just really wanted the podium and how i reacted in turn 3 and the last major turn were not necessary but when you do the math I had a chance at podium so i wanted to fight. A lot of my frustrations stemmed from missing the race in Canada by about 1 minute.

@Flips beautiful drive congratz on your first p1 ever that's amazing and an awesome feeling. I'm still waiting to get my first real p1 because both victorys have been due to the person infront of me bottling their race, @Cheeese in Bahrain and the unfortunate @Flips in Spain.

My race was pretty ****, was honestly in my head way too much and too angry for some reason. Did a bottle job in Quali during an OUTLAP which put me p13 on the grid.

My start however had mixed feelings, i got 2 or 3 places off the line headed to corner one was a little late on the breaks the feild backed up a bit and i believe someone made contact with my left rear which sent me spinning.

From this point i was extra determined and extra angry. i was p12 or something @R.A.J. and someone else were trying to figure out on the track whos position was whos and breaking really funny but i got past both of them, after a lap i caught back up with the feild, i passed around 4 cars with DRS until i came up to @Andrei Ivan who messed up Turn 3 and i got passed but then proceeded to dive bomb in front of me into the wall turn 4 so i was back to fighting and had a damaged wing,

i pitted a lap earlier than @ApplePhysics and @TwoFiftySix which put a gap down from 10 seconds to 3, and i was really happy, i chased down @ApplePhysics who put the incorrect tire on and wanted to get past becuase i knew two fifty was about 3 seconds up the road and i had a shot at a podium.

All these incidents from earlier got me heated and i shunted @ApplePhysics off the track, handed him the position back, Last Turn of the track apple and i are battling he goes wide then rejoins on my right rear and i didnt feel like battling down the shikane so i let him go. @ApplePhysics pits and im 9 seconds away from @TwoFiftySix with 5 laps to go

I'm going about 1.2 seconds a lap faster then @TwoFiftySix but couldnt get there in the end, if i didnt push the incident with @ApplePhysics i might have got podium.

All in all every incident probably set me back around 18 seconds and theirs is my "Time Penalty" if you will lolololololol.

Good race to everyone,

Sorry for my rage ill be better behaved, i know i pissed most of you off with my immature attitude this race and I hope you can accept my apology,

Ill try to keep things a little "Brighter",

Lamp

video below
It's understandable that you've got mad earlier today. I can understand you.
I had the same feelings at the Spanish Grand Prix. Losing a win just a few laps before the finish line, due to a lapped car. F**king annoying!

But I said to myself later that day: "Look what you've achieved. Several Podiums, a few Pole Positions and high in the Championship Standings. I've won many races in different Leagues, but competing in AOR is the best thing that ever happened in my "Online League Career". 1 Win - 4 Podiums - 3 Pole Positions - 1 Fastest Lap within just 5 races (+ 3 DNS).

I am happy with what I've accomplished, so should you @Lamp. You're leading the Championship. Several Wins and over a handful of Podiums. I DO understand your reaction, I've been there. But you have to remember what you've achieved in this Season!

You are 29 Points in front @Jipper in the Standings. There are 12 races left. Good opportunities for more wins and podiums!

- This message isn't just for @Lamp. It is for everybody! Looked what you've accomplished so far, be happy and look forward to the next 12 race this season! Because the season will end much faster if you're not enjoying yourself whilst racing. There are ups and downs, but always remember this: Look forward, practice for future races and you'll get an excellent result this season!

Jipper

Reigning S14 AOR PC F6 Champion
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
May 24, 2017
Qualy - 2nd
Race - 2nd

Qualifying was an interesting session full wets but a dry race forecast! so decided to go with the dry setup with a slight change to my brakes, which was fine for qualy however my brakes were not giving me confidence at all in the race so i suffered for it, managed to get P2 in Qualy tho i had more pace about half a second but blew the lap and only improved by 2 tenths and so didnt manage to nick 1st place.

Race was actually pretty boring, first couple of corners me and @Flips were tussling but respectfully as it was early on, for the next 5 laps i had @TwoFiftySix breathing down my neck putting on the pressure but i managed to hold him off, then he took a spin on turn 2 lap 5 so that was a sigh of relief! from here i basically saw no one else, other than lap 12 when my teammate @Scott_Aitchison nicely let me by when i came out of the pits behind him, from here it was a straight shoot to the finish and held onto 2nd, I did bang my front wing early in the second stint and from there i couldnt match @Flips pace so was dropping back a couple of tenths every lap, overall happy with 2nd as i managed to maintain the 9 second gap to @TwoFiftySix for the rest of the race so i definately had good pace here.

Cya all in Austria

POV:

Last edited:

TheVerenzak

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Thanks for your apology, @Lamp. I understand life can be quite stressful, if things go wrong with something you're passionate about as well, I understand the frustation.

I think @Flips described it perfectly. We're all here to have fun and chill out with others who share the same hobby and passion. The way I deal with 'bad' results or a frustating race, is thinking 'Did I do my absolute best to get a good result and did I have fun doing so?' If you didn't do your absolute best, practice on the things you could've done better and improve them for the next race. If you didn't have fun doing so, ask yourself why not. Maybe the expectations you set for yourself were too high and you disappointed yourself? Sometimes it's okay to have lower expectations of yourself, but have expectations you are able to achieve and be satisfied with the races you do.

Now, onto my own race. Which was filled with disappointment and bad driving.
Qualy: P10
For the rain filled qualy, I just used my dry setup and gave it a bit more front wing (which I could than change back for the race). Didn't feel too bad, there just wasn't a lot of grip anyway due to the wet track.
Could've and should've been into the 56's as well. I was up almost 2s in the first sector alone, when I hit the wall and spun just before the castle section. Was very disappointing to bottle it, was feeling quite confident on my lap.

Race: 9th
Just like everyone else, I was planning to do the one stop. But I decided to start on the softs and use the supersofts later on in the race.
Had pretty bad traction off the line, so a few guys that started behind me got passed me before T1. Unfortunately got caught up in the accident that happened there and lost a bit of my front wing on the spinning Haas.
Hit the inside wall in the castle section and did exactly what @R.A.J. told us not to do and visited the castle while I was there. Made a stop and at this point I was running in last, unsurprisingly.
At this point my strategy bit me in the arse, because I would've taken the softs till the end but I couldn't because I wouldn't have used 2 different sets. So I put some SS on my car and just started to push.
@VARD had some troubles as well, I think. And suddenly he was right in front of me, I sneakily got past him when he got blue flags for the leaders that were already lapping us. From here on I basically ruined both mine and his race. So, @VARD I'm really sorry for screwing up your race. Should've just let you through instead of trying to keep you behind, you were way quicker.

In the end, I was last on track, almost a lap down on the car in front. But luckily for me, a few people crashed out so atleast I got 2 points for surviving Baku :p
Onto Austria!

[I apologise for any weird / awkward sentences - still not fluent in English]

Reactions: Flips

R.A.J.

Premium Member
Premium Member
Sep 11, 2016
Q 11
R 7

Qualy
Wet, didn't do any wet practice, enough said.

Race
Knew at least one of the people starting behind me would dive bomb the first corner, was right.
Went pretty much straight on at first corner to avoid it but through the turn there was a yellow and
still had a rolling @Ronnin1978 and got a illegal overtake so took a nice and wide line into turn 2 to let him back past.

After that was just picking up places as people met with misfortune, or as some call it, walls.

Weird thing in the pits though, I think it must of been that my teammate had just pitted or that the jack man had to
take a **** but they waited 5 seconds to start the pit stop, didn't have any penalties.