PC - Round 8 - Azerbaijan Grand Prix [03/12/2017] | ApexOnlineRacing.com

PC Round 8 - Azerbaijan Grand Prix [03/12/2017]

ApplePhysics

Formula 4 Test Driver
Jan 23, 2017
Q- 5th
R- 6th

My lap in qualifying could have been better, didn't have the time ti set a better lap because of the timings with @Jipper held me up in the pits and I ran out of time. Race start was ok, was trying to be cautious but a few people were more aggressive than me so I fell back to 10th. On lap 12, @Jipper came out of the pits behind me, I let him through as I didn't want to hold him up. Most of my race was pretty boring and I was running on my own. Overall happy to have finished on a track where I feel off the pace and a track where I felt sure that I was not going to finish on. My POV is below:

@Scott_Aitchison sorry for a bit of a "punt and pass" at the end, there :oops:

Flips

Formula 4 1st Driver
Dec 31, 2016
"I think @Flips described it perfectly. We're all here to have fun and chill out with others who share the same hobby and passion. The way I deal with 'bad' results or a frustating race, is thinking 'Did I do my absolute best to get a good result and did I have fun doing so?' If you didn't do your absolute best, practice on the things you could've done better and improve them for the next race. If you didn't have fun doing so, ask yourself why not. Maybe the expectations you set for yourself were too high and you disappointed yourself? Sometimes it's okay to have lower expectations of yourself, but have expectations you are able to achieve and be satisfied with the races you do."

@TheVerenzak you absolutely smashed it! Keep on fighting.

Niek van Gelder

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Sep 29, 2015
Very disappointed after today’s race in Azerbaijan. The weekend started off with heavy rain conditions in qualifying, although when I looked at the weather forecast it said that it was going to stay dry for the race, so because of the parc fermé regulations I decided to put on a dry setup and up the front wing a bit to get some more front downforce in the rain. I also went on and put 15 kilos of fuel in the tank to do a long run without coming into the pits for the entire duration of the session to build up my pace and confidence. I left the pit lane at almost the exact same time as my teammate @Lamp and as I was following him on my outlap, Lamp crashed in front of me through the final corner and I just managed to avoid him and managed to get away unharmed, although for my teammate it was another story as he’s car was terminally damaged and so he was out of the session before he even started his first lap. So @Lamp gave me the warning I needed and I started my lap very cautiously, I went a little bit faster on my second lap and again a little bit faster on my third lap. At the end I managed to do 5 laps in the 12 minute qualifying session and ended up 9th on the grid which I was fairly happy about. Then the race came, dry conditions like expected, I lowered my front wing angle for the race like I planed and put in about 1,2 laps of extra fuel for the race since I noticed that the fuel consumption on this track was very heavy during practice sessions. So the race got underway and I made a very good start, the initial launch was very good and managed to outbrake a few drivers into T1 & T2, keeping myself out of any incidents. So I was very happy after the start finding myself in 4th place from 9th on the grid and for the first few laps I was following @VARD, I was staying behind him settling into the race and I wasn’t taking any unnecessary risks. But then @VARD in front of me hit the wall slightly at the same place where @Lamp spun in qualifying, and I believe saw some bits of front wing flying through the air, it didn’t seem like it was really affecting him following Vard through the next couple of corners, but I wanted to know if he had some damage so I asked Jeff, while I was listening to his response I lost my concentration for a fraction of a second and missed my braking point coming into T15, I was closing in rapidly on @VARD and just managed to avoid him to the inside, then I just avoided the wall on the inside of the corner, but because I had way to much speed I slammed into the wall on the outside exit of the corner and broke my entire front wing and front left suspension. Vard then had nowhere to go and drove into the rear of my car and damaged his front wing in the process, for which I would like sincerely apologize. It was completely my fault and @VARD was just an innocent victim of my mistake. I’m also sorry for my teammate @Lamp since I’m costing him points in the constructers championship. I’m looking forward to racing on the Red Bull Ring in Austria next week! It’s a track that suits me a lot better than Baku and I’m hoping to get a good result there again!

Lamp

Premium Member
Premium Member
Apr 14, 2017
@Niek van Gelder youre costing US points not Me lol and it’s all good, we need a good performance this weekend to keep the wolves at bay

Niek van Gelder

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Sep 29, 2015
Yes! I like the red Bull Ring much better than Baku so I'm very confident we can do that, you are always very fast ;)