Mar 30, 2018
Round 8 - French Grand Prix
AOR Hype Energy F1 Leagues - Season 16

Race Information:
Date: Sunday 2nd December 2018
Start Time: 8:00pm (UK time)
Circuit: Circuit Paul Ricard
Laps: 27

Please try to be online at least 10 minutes before the start time, and await the lobby invite from the League Coordinator and/or the lobby host. Also please ensure your internet connection is in an optimal state at the time of racing.

Notes:
Rules & regulations: Before you take to the track in the league race, make sure you are fully aware of the rules & regulations of the leagues. As a driver in our leagues, you are required to do your very best to ensure clean and fair racing at all times.

Lobby settings: If you are unsure about the lobby settings that will be used for the race, look here.

No-shows: If you are unable to attend the race, please inform the League Coordinator and leave a post in this thread BEFORE the race takes place. Note the rules of participation here.

Useful Links:
Results & Standings
League Rules
League Information
Race Calendar

Confirmed no-shows:
-

Tactician109

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Mar 30, 2018

Casper24-F1

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Mar 20, 2018
Short France Preview:

OMG I love this track, it's a fast track with a lot of medium speed corners. When you get it right, it's really satisfying to drive.
Also, considering @Sean van Belkom doesn't like this circuit, we all might have a chance to win :ROFLMAO:
Just kidding lol ;)

Sean FAP Belkom

S16 AOR PS4 F2 Champion
Jul 4, 2018
Short France Preview:

OMG I love this track, it's a fast track with a lot of medium speed corners. When you get it right, it's really satisfying to drive.
Also, considering @Sean van Belkom doesn't like this circuit, we all might have a chance to win :ROFLMAO:
Just kidding lol ;)
Im actually gonna Bring you to the Pieter baan centrum to research if you are alright. France is the most shite track ever

• Burn
Reactions: Casper24-F1

Tactician109

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Mar 30, 2018
France Fortitude

Qualifying Position: 12th
Finishing Position: 5th

New track, new tricks, same old results. It's getting too familiar to have to do these comebacks in the race after awful qualifying sessions. Strategy calls were on point though which probably saved me in the actual race and got me some good points. Even better when you consider that I had a horrific accident on the first lap :p

Like I said, qualifying is a serious issue this season. Qualifying outside of the top 10 is not ideal when the race is dry-to-wet and free tyre choice doesn't matter. I only had myself to blame again as I bottled my final qualifying lap by invalidating it. My banker lap was only good enough for 12th and I knew it was going to be another difficult race.

Luckily, the conditions allowed some different strategies and timings to come into play. Race start was a pretty poor one this time but at least I was able to keep my position. By the time the rain started, I knew I had to take a risk and put on the Inters one lap earlier. Credit to @Thomas_Scibilia for making the same strategy call from the race lead, incredible foresight.

That call turned out to be the right one and I jumped half the field as almost everyone else was still on track, struggling with their dry tyres. I think I was 7th by the time everyone had pitted for Inters so I was obviously quite happy.

Driving in the wet is something I really enjoy and I found it much more comfortable to drive around France in wet conditions than dry conditions. However, I wasn't able to catch anyone in front of me even though I felt I was driving really well. I actually found the culprit in the latter stages of the first stint on the Inters - a slightly broken front wing. Even now, I have no idea where I got that damage from.

As puzzling as that was, I felt no need to change it as I was able to do same lap times as everyone else around me. Soon enough the rain got worse and it was time to change tyres. I was really trying to figure out in my head whether to put new Inters or full Wets on. At first I was in favor of going for new Inters but eventually I decided to go for it and risk the full Wets.

As it turned out, I think neither tyre had a significant advantage over one another at the last 10 laps or so. I believe Inters were still the best tyre by the time we made our pit stops but the full Wets were probably faster the last 5 laps. Anyway, the fact that I hadn't seen anyone else try the full Wets made me nervous and Jeff didn't exactly help matters by saying that the rain would get lighter by the end of the race.

Thankfully, the conditions stayed as they were and the heavy rain only stopped at the last lap. By that time, I had caught up my teammate @kieranrp who kindly let me through and I embarked on an desperate effort to try and catch the McLaren of @leefindlay04 in the final few laps. I wasn't that much faster though so in the end, I finished P5.

I can't help but think that the recent races have been cases of "what could have been" as I feel like I have had the pace in the wet but my bad qualifying has effectively denied any chance of fighting the front runners. Still, it's nice to see that I am able to have consistency and the consistent solid points have kept me in contention for a high position in the championship standings.

Austria is next, which is more or less an average track for me. Congrats to the winners as always, see ya next weekend.

Reactions: Casper24-F1

Casper24-F1

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Mar 20, 2018
France Fortitude

Qualifying Position: 12th
Finishing Position: 5th

New track, new tricks, same old results. It's getting too familiar to have to do these comebacks in the race after awful qualifying sessions. Strategy calls were on point though which probably saved me in the actual race and got me some good points. Even better when you consider that I had a horrific accident on the first lap :p

Like I said, qualifying is a serious issue this season. Qualifying outside of the top 10 is not ideal when the race is dry-to-wet and free tyre choice doesn't matter. I only had myself to blame again as I bottled my final qualifying lap by invalidating it. My banker lap was only good enough for 12th and I knew it was going to be another difficult race.

Luckily, the conditions allowed some different strategies and timings to come into play. Race start was a pretty poor one this time but at least I was able to keep my position. By the time the rain started, I knew I had to take a risk and put on the Inters one lap earlier. Credit to @Thomas_Scibilia for making the same strategy call from the race lead, incredible foresight.

That call turned out to be the right one and I jumped half the field as almost everyone else was still on track, struggling with their dry tyres. I think I was 7th by the time everyone had pitted for Inters so I was obviously quite happy.

Driving in the wet is something I really enjoy and I found it much more comfortable to drive around France in wet conditions than dry conditions. However, I wasn't able to catch anyone in front of me even though I felt I was driving really well. I actually found the culprit in the latter stages of the first stint on the Inters - a slightly broken front wing. Even now, I have no idea where I got that damage from.

As puzzling as that was, I felt no need to change it as I was able to do same lap times as everyone else around me. Soon enough the rain got worse and it was time to change tyres. I was really trying to figure out in my head whether to put new Inters or full Wets on. At first I was in favor of going for new Inters but eventually I decided to go for it and risk the full Wets.

As it turned out, I think neither tyre had a significant advantage over one another at the last 10 laps or so. I believe Inters were still the best tyre by the time we made our pit stops but the full Wets were probably faster the last 5 laps. Anyway, the fact that I hadn't seen anyone else try the full Wets made me nervous and Jeff didn't exactly help matters by saying that the rain would get lighter by the end of the race.

Thankfully, the conditions stayed as they were and the heavy rain only stopped at the last lap. By that time, I had caught up my teammate @kieranrp who kindly let me through and I embarked on an desperate effort to try and catch the McLaren of @leefindlay04 in the final few laps. I wasn't that much faster though so in the end, I finished P5.

I can't help but think that the recent races have been cases of "what could have been" as I feel like I have had the pace in the wet but my bad qualifying has effectively denied any chance of fighting the front runners. Still, it's nice to see that I am able to have consistency and the consistent solid points have kept me in contention for a high position in the championship standings.

Austria is next, which is more or less an average track for me. Congrats to the winners as always, see ya next weekend.
I love those titles of your race reviews :D

• Clever
Reactions: Tactician109

leefindlay04

Formula 3 Reserve Driver
Mar 26, 2018
Qualifying: P3

Was happy to get P3, my wet pace was decent, could’ve gotten 2nd but the track was too dry to improve on my final lap.

Race: P3

Was the best I could’ve done, pace in the dry was poor but when it became wet my pace was solid, and I just managed to stay within 6 seconds of @Sean van Belkom to get onto the podium! Hopefully I can have another strong result in Austria :)