Rule change suggestion for next season | ApexOnlineRacing.com

Rule change suggestion for next season

Steve Kagerer

Formula 3 Test Driver
Jan 4, 2015
Not directed at anyone but just use the stewards panel, it doesn't make you less of a man/woman. If you're thinking the driving has been bad and drivers should have been penalized just think about how many stewards inquiries you have made. If you had cause to make one and didn't then the continued bad driving is partly your own fault. You need to point it out officially and then the admins can easily view it so drivers can be put on notice. I guarantee if a driver has his bad behavior pointed out a few times he will either adjust his style or quit. I also like a fixed number for reversed grid.

Gunar Nijenhuis

F1 1st Driver
Sep 2, 2015
The goal of the reversed grids was to have more variety in race winners and giving other drivers the chance to lead a race and potentially win or end up on the podium. In my opinion we succeeded with that goal.

I still think the reversed grids is the way to go. By deleting reversed grids or just a top 10-15, we're going back to the same winners over and over.

To be fair the reversed grid races are way more entertaining to watch than the main races. There is a lot more action for everybody.

On the other hand I also agree with the lap 1 incidents. I've been taken out myself and I've taken out people on lap 1 where I should definitely have deserved a penalty.
I'm all for the stewards to proactively look into lap 1 incidents, and penalties for overly aggressive people who are causing incidents.
Also people who are not anticipating on incidents happening in front of them (I.e. not braking if cars start flying in front of you) deserve a penalty.

Yes this does mean more work for the stewards and more penalties in the beginning, but hopefully it'll make the lap 1 racing cleaner.

• Agree
Reactions: Rin Hato and Jarnoh

Kez

iRacing Coordinator
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 13, 2014
What are people's views on rolling starts though? This is a suggestion I made but didn't see much feedback to. I accept that reverse grids add something to this league but we cannot ignore the troubles that arise. The rolling start aims to give the field some breathing space at the start and hopefully minimises the risks.

Tekesh

AOR iRacing FR2.0 Season 5 Champion
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Aug 11, 2015
Here is what I wrote earlier this season @Kez, maybe you missed it? :p. I wouldn't mind a test race though during week 13.

Based on my experience racing the GT3's with rolling start I would say its not the solution. There you end up with people sort of starting at different times because its the leader who decides when the race start. He can go way before the green as long as the pace car is off the track and then you will have people who didn't notice or so and you end up with 5 wide into turn 1.

Rin Hato

AOR Space Race Champion
Oct 17, 2016
I agree with Kristian, rolling starts can be pretty bad. Like, accidents before the green flag is out bad. I don't expect the people in this league to be that stupid but it's a lot of variables to add. Different following distances plus different reaction times plus leader setting off at different times. Even people being in different gears. It can all add up to 17 wide at turn 1.

Christian Koch

AOR iRacing 2-time Formula Renault 2.0 Champion
Apr 5, 2016
I would give rolling starts a try; cars are already moving and more likely with fewer speed differences into turn 1.
It should be much safer in theory and worth a shot.

Stevie

Former Super Mod
Premium Member
Aug 26, 2014
What are people's views on rolling starts though? This is a suggestion I made but didn't see much feedback to. I accept that reverse grids add something to this league but we cannot ignore the troubles that arise. The rolling start aims to give the field some breathing space at the start and hopefully minimises the risks.
I think I asked similar earlier in the season after Brands and it was shot down, but maybe there's a slightly more open mind regarding it now.

It's something I think could help the series.

FisiFan91

AOR Founder (on hiatus)
Staff member
AOR Admin
Jan 12, 2014
Is it possible to do rolling start in single file? Because I don't see how a double file rolling start is gonna make much of a difference.

• Agree
Reactions: Rin Hato and Stevie

Jarnoh

Formula 3 Test Driver
May 13, 2015
Is it possible to do rolling start in single file? Because I don't see how a double file rolling start is gonna make any difference.
Agree, i doubt it will make much of a difference. The braking points from drivers are still a tiny bit different + the speed is higher coming into the first corner so braking harder is a must.... But to be honest, this whole discussion..sigh....just be aware of slower drivers in front of you and keep in mind that they might brake earlier. Never but never take your own braking point as a marker into the first corner as you will never know what happens in front of you, just take your loss in the first lap if needed. If you are faster you will pass him within 2 laps anyway. If everyone is just a bit more careful with this and not try to defend at all costs....everyone should be fine. But ok...a tryout in week 13 can't do any harm. But we have to do more than 1, 1 start is not a good reference.

C'mon guys, everyone here is experienced and should know how to be clean in the first part, and as Gunar pointed out, please use the steward panel and hand out penalties, this will make people aware and they think about it more in comparison to no penalty at all.

• Agree
Reactions: Tye

Bill "Soup" Zahn - GSRC

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Dec 13, 2016
Yet another unrequested post from the broadcaster. Possible Sprint Race Solution is an Orange Zone. The Orange Zone is something used effectively in the Championship Motorsports GT3 Series that GSRC broadcast. For each track the series organizers announce where the Orange Zone ends. Exit turn 3, or exit of turn 6, whatever. Thier official rule reads like this. “The “Orange Zone” should be regarded as a PASS WITH EXTREME CAUTION area during the first lap of any race. Should an incident occur because a driver chooses to attempt a pass within this “Orange Zone” the driver initiating the pass will likely be held responsible.” How it actually works. The Orange Zone does not forbid passing early, it just put the burden on the aggressive car to do it cleanly. And the aggressive driver knows going in, if this pass doesn't work, I will be in the wrong. The Race Stewart's job is straight forward. No deciding who owned the corner. If things go south, the car making the pass gets penalized. The AOR penalty is easy, back of the line for the next (or more) sprint race(s). [DOUBLEPOST=1487847953][/DOUBLEPOST]I should add the Orange Zone probably works best with a rolling start. Drivers have time to file into position before the green instead of a land rush to the first corner.

Last edited: