S4: AOR iRacing GTE - Round 1 - What? Glen's Kin! That's what. - 17.9.2018 | ApexOnlineRacing.com

S4: AOR iRacing GTE - Round 1 - What? Glen's Kin! That's what. - 17.9.2018

McPhilen

iRacing Leagues Main Overseer
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014
Well, that went really really well!

Qualifying:

Really decent lap. Thought there was a tiny little bit more, but couldn't quite beat @Steffen Herrmann's lap. Good job on taking pole! I was really hoping I could take it as pole position isn't something I usually get, but maybe next time!

Race:

Really enjoyable race, that didn't really have a moments rest. I had Steffen behind me for a bit after a great start from myself (and a little confusion on Steffen's part), which allowed me to jump ahead into T1 on lap 1. I kept him behind for a decent chunk of time before just falling off the pace a bit, which allowed Steffen to re-pass me. He stayed ahead for a long time but I started to close the gap and he then pitted quite early. I then had the lead back for pretty much the entire race (other than for a lap that @Charlie9000 lead due to not pitting on the same lap ;) ), but pretty much as soon as I came out I was under pressure from @mike66187, who had been sat within 2 seconds until he pitted, and then once again after I pitted. I had to keep Mike behind for the remainder of the race, which wasn't easy as the car started to feel really sketchy, but I'm really pleased with how well I kept the car together, which is something I really didn't do well last season at all. I think it's more because of the track and the conditions that helped, but I'm still pleased with that. Steffen had run into tyre trouble and had to take more fuel at the stop, which meant when I came out, I was about 15 or so seconds ahead.

In the end, came home to win which I am really, really pleased with. Really didn't expect it, especially not here at a track I don't usually show that good pace at. Looking forward to the next race out at Road America. I'm not particularly strong there either usually, especially on race pace, but I also feel better driving this car at the moment. Hopefully it goes better than last time, at least. :p

McPhilen

iRacing Leagues Main Overseer
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014
Also, top job by @FisiFan91 to get a really decent result after being out for exactly 1 million years.

Reactions: FisiFan91

Harley Hamnett

Junior Karter
Sep 9, 2018
First ever race here at AOR and thoroughly enjoyed it, great way to be introduced to the league.

Probably made the mistake of not testing with full fuel, long runs etc Thought I would be safe to just jump in from some testing with IMSA fuel and setup, which to be fair, didn't work out that bad, but had to make some adjustments which took some time to get used to in the race, and quali wasn't great.

Q 9th - I suck at turn 1

R 5th - More than happy with the top 5 result, no matter what race or where it is, I've always had better race pace than quali. Had no idea about fuel/strategy, so just chucked in about 85L~ and ran it out. Not sure how many guys/girls pitted without doing tyres, but there was definitely at least 2 of you up front that didn't put tyres, so that's something i'll have to look at next race.

Top job podium and all that finished :)

Stevie

Former Super Mod
Premium Member
Aug 26, 2014
Better than expected from myself.

I really struggled to get time out of the car in qualifying, but managed a decent spot, 16th. Could've been 15th if I'd gone 0.002 faster but hey ho.

Race was interesting. In my practice I'd forgot basically that using the IMSA sessions only let me drive with half a tank of fuel, so I only had the 20 minutes to practice with full fuel. That being considered, my pace wasn't bad, but it certainly wasn't the fastest out there. Ended up having a battle with @Jake_Towns and @Reith. I think I was just fast enough in all the right places that it took Seb a long time to get past me.

Not sure what happened, but after the pit-stops I came out quite far ahead of both of them, despite them both pitting before me and having better place.

Ended up in a sprint to the finish with Seb rapidly chasing me down. A few more laps, maybe even one more and he'd have had me.

I haven't checked, I think we only had one incident between two cars on lap 1, which is quite impressive considering the size of the grid. Nice work on that.

Good job everyone, enjoyed that. :)

BenOnWheels

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jun 20, 2018
Gutted. Qualified 5th and was pretty happy with my lap, car felt great on both race and quali fuel and it was nice to be mixing it at the front. Stayed in 5th and was right behind 3rd and 4th before Christoph's mistake at the left hairpin on lap 5 I believe. I couldn't avoid him and it destroyed my car. :( These things happen but I know a really strong result was on the cards. Roll on the next race!

Witte29

Premium Member
Premium Member
Nov 13, 2017
Very happy with my result.

Qualified in 13th, well that was something i didn't expected.

I knew a lot of faster guys were behind me so i thought i tried to let them go safely without losing to much time myself.
It worked twice before the busstop but in turn 9 someone punned me and that caused me to semi spin, i could recover quite fast and didn't lose to much time. He didn't apoligize our waited though. After that i found my rhytme and drove very consistent. @Phil Bedford was catching me fast, he tried to pass me twice but i could defend my posistion, after his second attempt he pitted. At that point i made my only misstake of the race. @Ycoms was behind me after he pitted for damage i guess, he was a lap down but so much faster then me so i tried to let him pass and that didn't go well, outbreakt myself hit the grass and lost about 7 sec.

After that i was in no mans land for 20 minutes until i pitted. To my suprise i came out in front of @Jake_Towns and @Phil Bedford. the gap was about 3.5 sec. I assume they got in a fight and i pulled away to a ~ 7sec. in the last 10 minutes @Phil Bedford closed that gap really fast, i tried to defend my position but i couldn't keep it, in the second to last lap he overtook me and took the win in the AM tier. Congratz!
Nevertheless i'm very happy with my second place and 13th overall.

See you next week cheers!

Reactions: Phil Bedford

Jake_Towns

Premium Member
Premium Member
Sep 3, 2018

I really struggled to get time out of the car in qualifying, but managed a decent spot, 16th. Could've been 15th if I'd gone 0.002 faster but hey ho.

Race was interesting. In my practice I'd forgot basically that using the IMSA sessions only let me drive with half a tank of fuel, so I only had the 20 minutes to practice with full fuel. That being considered, my pace wasn't bad, but it certainly wasn't the fastest out there. Ended up having a battle with @Jake_Towns and @Reith. I think I was just fast enough in all the right places that it took Seb a long time to get past me.

Not sure what happened, but after the pit-stops I came out quite far ahead of both of them, despite them both pitting before me and having better place.

Ended up in a sprint to the finish with Seb rapidly chasing me down. A few more laps, maybe even one more and he'd have had me.

I haven't checked, I think we only had one incident between two cars on lap 1, which is quite impressive considering the size of the grid. Nice work on that.

Enjoyed our battle, I messed up and put too much fuel in and dropped too much time as the track sped up...

Jake_Towns

Premium Member
Premium Member
Sep 3, 2018
Very happy with my result.

Qualified in 13th, well that was something i didn't expected.

I knew a lot of faster guys were behind me so i thought i tried to let them go safely without losing to much time myself.
It worked twice before the busstop but in turn 9 someone punned me and that caused me to semi spin, i could recover quite fast and didn't lose to much time. He didn't apoligize our waited though. After that i found my rhytme and drove very consistent. @Phil Bedford was catching me fast, he tried to pass me twice but i could defend my posistion, after his second attempt he pitted. At that point i made my only misstake of the race. @Ycoms was behind me after he pitted for damage i guess, he was a lap down but so much faster then me so i tried to let him pass and that didn't go well, outbreakt myself hit the grass and lost about 7 sec.

After that i was in no mans land for 20 minutes until i pitted. To my suprise i came out in front of @Jake_Towns and @Phil Bedford. the gap was about 3.5 sec. I assume they got in a fight and i pulled away to a ~ 7sec. in the last 10 minutes @Phil Bedford closed that gap really fast, i tried to defend my position but i couldn't keep it, in the second to last lap he overtook me and took the win in the AM tier. Congratz!
Nevertheless i'm very happy with my second place and 13th overall.

See you next week cheers!
I was a sitting duck after over fuelling and threw the win away... Looking like it could be a very good 3-way battle for AM championship!

Stephan

AOR iRacing GTE S3 AM Champion & Former S-Mod
Premium Member
Oct 19, 2016
I lost my pace from practice- was considerably slower than in any practice session.
I wasn’t 100% last night but am glad I brought it home with no contact. Only scare moment was touching the little patch of grass on the outside in the braking zone for turn 1 - resulting in an excellent rally line, 4 wheel slide into the turn and pointing he right way when the screaming stopped :p

Well, off to Road Murica

Reactions: Witte29

Phil Bedford

AOR iRacing GTE S4 AM Champion
Mar 18, 2017
Didnt quite go to plan for me I have to admit. Missed practice and joined Q with about 6 minutes to go, set out and my pedals were playing up... so didnt actually get a lap in!
Started 26th on an IMSA setup, so way too little fuel to start with!.... pedals still felt a bit wierd for the 1st 4 laps or so but settled in and just got my head down and tried to stay clean. Pitted and took 76 litres, which just happens to be the same amount of time as 4 tyres..... I expected the car to feel like a bag of spanners with all that fuel, but it was suprisingly good and came alive in the last 20 minutes or so. Managed to catch @Jake_Towns and squeeze past him, and then @Witte29 in the last couple of laps. Gilles put up a helluva fight, but I think my car was just a bit better at the end of the stint.
So yeah, from not qualifying to finishing 1st in the AM and 12th overall, I'll take that.
Incidentally, the racing (certainly from what I saw) was very clean. One or two people were moving around a bit more than you might expect under braking, but no big deals.

Sadly, Ive probably peaked, as Watkins is probably my favorite track...

mike66187

Premium Member
Premium Member
Aug 11, 2018
This was a interesting race, had a garbage week of official racing before this so i didnt really expect anything good. Felt that my qualy was ok but nothing special. the race was good fun, tried to save the tires as much as I could and that worked out, the pace was strong at the end of the race but not fast enough to beat @McPhilen . maybe if i had a couple more laps i wouldve got him haha. Congrats to him!

Jake_Towns

Premium Member
Premium Member
Sep 3, 2018

Have to say I also enjoyed this pass before this pit stop going into the Bus Stop @Stevie - Some great racing by all!

Last edited:
Reactions: Stevie

Meireloso

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 15, 2014
Quali P8.
Race P8. I think something is wrong about my race pace. :LOL: Wasn’t able to drive the car decently the whole race. At the end tires were worn, because I’m just a **** that is not able to save them [insert any facepalm gif here].
@N1kmido Thank you for letting me pass again. No worries I didn’t lose any time behind you. (y)

Reith

AOR iRacing GTE Season 5 AM Champion
Sep 16, 2018

Nice battle on this first race very very nice.
Thank you @Stevie , I did not go with the full, I wanted to add enough gas to finish and change the tires.

It would have taken a few more laps to overtake you, thank you for your championship.

This first race was really nice