Team Selection Thread | ApexOnlineRacing.com

Team Selection Thread

CallumBCFC19

1-time AOR X360 F5 Champion
Jun 2, 2014
This might be a bit annoying for the people who do get picked, but we so a random draw and see who are the first eight people who get picked out are.

FormulaMoss F1

Formula 3 Test Driver
Feb 19, 2014
Maybe if you pick the 12 from D2, then lick the top 4 from D1? Then theres a bit more incentive to be in the top 4 just like there's is in real life? (and its a bit fairer)

Devastation

Best of the Rest
May 9, 2014
I think we should make a preliminary round for Division 2 players, where the six winners progress into the first round. The losers are split into 2 groups of 3, where each person plays the other 2 in their group and the top team from each progresses into the first round proper.

I know it might be too many games for some people, but the top-flight guys shouldn't be denied a spot.

Devastation

Best of the Rest
May 9, 2014
I think we should make a preliminary round for Division 2 players, where the six winners progress into the first round. The losers are split into 2 groups of 3, where each person plays the other 2 in their group and the top team from each progresses into the first round proper.

I know it might be too many games for some people, but the top-flight guys shouldn't be denied a spot.
And if the losers don't want to take part in the group stage, then it becomes a simple winner-takes-all decider or a bye into the draw depending on how many drop out

Lewis_Tids

F1 Champion
Jan 14, 2014
I've had a brief discussion with my fellow cods and we are in favour of doing a cup and we have a pretty good idea of how to get around the lack of extra time + pen options. We do have an issue still, there's 20 people in this league. 20 is not a particularly nice number to work with really... Here's the idea Grant proposed from a slice of our detailed breakdown:

"Although, if the first round consisted of D1 only then the 4 that progress join the 12 in D2 that would work. Because then we have 16 people left in the competition which works out nicely for a Final, semi, quarter and round of 16 game."
-TRL Schumacher-

This idea works well mathematically but I am somewhat unsure about the idea of cutting half of the league's supposed best players before Division 2 even joins in. If no one else can come up with an assured mathematically workable idea then we will go with this but I'm interested to see if you guys have any other suggestions on how to pull this off.

How about 4 groups of 5. Top 2 places means they go through to the Quarters, the Semis, Then Final. Each filter 2 players from Div 1 (randomly) into each group, then filter the 12 players from Div 2 into the empty spots by randomizing them. :)

Devastation

Best of the Rest
May 9, 2014
How about 4 groups of 5. Top 2 places means they go through to the Quarters, the Semis, Then Final. Each filter 2 players from Div 1 (randomly) into each group, then filter the 12 players from Div 2 into the empty spots by randomizing them. :)
Remember, this is supposed to be a knock-out tournament, I was trying to minimise the amount of group games we played

KurtJP35

FIFA Coordinator
Staff member
FIFA Coordinator
FM Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014
Keep the ideas flowing guys! We're talking about it in the cod chat and looking into every suggested idea.

II OASIS I

F1 Senna Equivalent
Jan 14, 2014
Remember, this is supposed to be a knock-out tournament, I was trying to minimise the amount of group games we played
An

That was also my point, its meant to be a cup, not a league, and we need to have as few games as possible.

AOR Reversal

F1 Multiple Champion
Apr 12, 2014
With 20 teams, clearly you can't just do a knockout, it wouldn't work. We need 8 teams to play in the first round to eliminate 4 teams, and then we'll have 16 teams left to go on with the knockout. I presume these teams will be from division 2, as it isn't fair to knockout the best teams straight away, so could we say the bottom 8 of Division 2 after 4 games or something?

KurtJP35

FIFA Coordinator
Staff member
FIFA Coordinator
FM Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014
I was holding out on this due to the disagreements in the chat but I may as well at least tell you guys what I proposed. Now, before I say what it is I want to explain something. This format is pretty complicated but honestly I don't feel that's an issue as long as the people in charge understand it. A flat out knockout system WONT work I feel as it will end up being unfair to somebody. The main change I'd make to this system though is changing the games in the group to just 2 rather than 4 as 4 leaves a few too many fixture rounds tbh. This idea basically collaborates the suggestions people have made whilst still trying to be as fair as possible to all competitors. It includes the top 4 incentive that was mentioned, it allows div 2 players to play div 1 players as mentioned and most importantly everyone as the opportunity to win it:

It does take a bit to get your head around but I think the rule boxes explain it a bit better if you can't get a grasp on the images. This format will most likely be adapted as it is not at all the final product or even the final concept but just another suggestion. Complicated? Yes. Effective? Yes.

Last edited:

AOR Reversal

F1 Multiple Champion
Apr 12, 2014
Watford please bud, surprised teams like Forest and Watford are left but I'll take it. Good luck to everyone involved :)

KurtJP35

FIFA Coordinator
Staff member
FIFA Coordinator
FM Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014
Watford please bud, surprised teams like Forest and Watford are left but I'll take it. Good luck to everyone involved :)
Sorry to ruin your surprise but Watford are already taken by George :p. I presume it'd be Forest then?